Footnotes to the New Testament

I am pleased to announce that Footnotes to the New Testament for Latter-day Saints, which I wrote together with John Jenkins and John Tvedtnes, is now publicly available here.

I would like to thank Matthew Faulconer (Jim F.’s son) for hosting it at the Feast upon the Word site, and for his patience and skill in getting the Greek fonts to work properly.

This was a project I initiated about seven or so years ago. The idea is to try to help Latter-day Saints read the KJV NT with greater comprehension. It is basically a set of explanatory notes, along the lines of what’s in the LDS edition following the tags IE, GR and OR, but more detailed and many more of them, together with some light background commentary. The major focus of the notes is on helping people understand the language of the KJV NT.

We were going to publish the book through an LDS publisher, but the decision eventually was made that the book was too long and too scholarly in focus to fly in the LDS market. (I don’t dispute that judgment.) I really wanted this material to be available in time for next year’s NT curriculum year (I didn’t do it for the money!), so the best alternative seemed to me to post it on the internet.

If the book had been published, it would have undergone additional editing, and it would have been trimmed substantially. So consider this a rough draft.

The book is almost complete (all it is missing is an introduction to Romans).

Enjoy!

Comments

1. This is awesome! Thanks for putting this up, it will be invaluble – I can’t wait to read it.

2. Wow. This is truly unbelievable. You really don’t think this would fly in the LDS market? Perhaps not everywhere, or with everyone, but surely with many. No???

3. Cool! I’m looking for a Romans class to take this Fall,
    these footnotes will be a useful resource to my
    study.

4. Well I would have bought it, but thanks for giving it to me for free :-)

5. Thanks, Kevin, I’ll be interested to use this next year.

From the preface: Much of the need for this book would be obviated if one were simply to read the NT in a good, modern translation.

What are some translations (and even editions) you recommend and why?

6. two questions:

1. Did you guys do the subchapter headings?

2. Is the intro to Romans coming later?

Johnna

1. Yes, we did the intext captions. For the books I did, I simply used those recommended by the United Bible Societies (which are in the public domain), as used in my UBS Greek New Testament. I think my co-contributors made up their own.

2. John Jenkins did the notes to Romans, and if he wants to add an introduction we can add it to the online collection later. He has been going through some health issues so I don’t want to press him on it.

Christian, there are a number of good modern translations. One I like is the New Revised Standard Version, because (a) it reflects a continuity with the Authorized Version tradition and (b) it reflects excellent scholarship. But there are other good ones, too.

Actually, Christian, now that I think of it I responded to your question on other translations in the chapter on Additional Resources, here.

9. Nate Oman says:

Wow. This is a great resource. Thanks for doing the work and for making it available.

10. Nate Oman says:

Christian & Kevin: I also like the Revised Standard Version. (Oxford UP has a very nice edition that I use entitled _The New Oxford Annotated Bible_.) However, I have to confess that I sometimes find the RSV’s connection to the KJV a bit annoying as it sometimes retains awkward phrasing simply to maintain continuity. My favorite modern translation is the New English Bible.

Yeah, Nate, the continuity with the Authorized Version tradition can be a good thing, but it can also be limiting. For someone well schooled in the KJV it might be better to break totally out of that mold.

Randy B., obviously I think a lot of people could benefit from this book, or I wouldn’t have written it. The publisher’s concerns had to do with the very large size of the book, which would have been substantial even after some slash and burn editing. Large books like that have to be sold for a large price (at least $40-50), and the Mormon market for books at that price is very limited. Or so they tell me.

12. Mike Parker says:

I think it was Kevin who recommended the NET Bible to me several years ago. The translation is very good, and the footnotes are outstanding. This is the Bible I use for personal study and lesson preparation.

13. Julie M. Smith says:

I’d like to put in another plug for the NET Bible–free, easilty accessible, and great notes.

Yes, I’m also a fan of the NET and I did recommend it to Mike. Thanks for the reminder.

15. I’ve been waiting for this for years Kevin. Excellent resource. How do we report that the zip file at the bottom containing all the word files is a bad link?

Matthew is working on some clean up, including that link. He said he hoped to have it fixed by Wednesday.

17. the NET Bible is well worth buying in print, I’ve got a copy and find it well worth taking to Church with me.

Any chance of a print on demand version of this book? For those of us who prefer to read print? I read print much, much faster than I read on a computer.

Thanks again for sharing it, add my name to the mailing list if you do a POD.

18. The link to the zip file is fixed. Thanks for pointing out the problem. Let me know if you see any other problems.

Kevin and John and John, thanks again for producing this great work and for allowing it to be posted to Feast upon the Word. It is a privilege to host the files.

19. Thank you Kevin! These are phenomenal.

Stephen M (#17): I’ll append all the files together into one big pdf file this weekend (I’m out of town now) and post it on the wiki. It’ll make for a pretty large file, but it’ll make it easier to print everything out.

If you have any other suggestions feel free to leave comments here (just click “edit” and type your comment at the bottom, we’ll clean up the formatting for you if there’s a problem).

20. Kevin,

Thank you! This is truly a labor of love, and a first-rate one at that! I think this work is a landmark achievement, a milestone in LSD publishing and one of the most important study aids ever produced for the Latter-day Saints.

21. Kevin,

This is BRILLIANT. I would like this as a book, though. Why not use one of the new publish-on-demand internet self-publishers. Then people who want this can buy it. I really think you should look into this.

22. Congratulations Kevin. Your footnotes are a very valuable addition to the education of the Saints. I appreciate the fact that you gave both the Greek script and the transliteration as well. I also appreciate the fact that you played it “straight” when dealing with Paul on grace and did not try to make him someone who views salvation as being earned by works. I would now urge a full blown commentary! Thanks for this.

23. “a milestone in LDS publishing”

Was Hunter S. Thompson somehow involved?

24. LDS = LSD

I can’t even get my misspellings right.

25. Mike Parker says:

I agree with Stephen M #17 that the printed edition of the NET Bible is well worth owning. I purchased the 2nd beta and, later, the first edition.

You can also get the NET for handheld devices (the Bible files aren’t free, but the Olive Tree BibleReader software they run on is). I frequently use this in Church to compare the KJV and NET side-by-side.

26. Kevin,
    I’m another person that would buy this in a hard copy. Easier than self-publishing, why not call Kofford Books or Kent Larsen (Mormon Arts and Letters). There’s a good chance one or both of them would be interested in publishing it?

I wanted it available in time for the 2007 NT curriculum year, and at this point I had zero confidence that another publisher could pick it up and get it out in time.

28. Re modern translations: I like J.B. Phillips’ “New Testament in Modern English”. However I haven’t explored much. I’d be interested in how you think its prose compares to the NET Bible and others that have been mentioned here?

29. Kevin, do your footnotes include an explanation of this famous New Testament event?

Here is an article on this project in today’s Meridian by contributor John Tvedtnes.

31. Excellent, Kev. I still think you guys should submit this to an on-demand self-publisher. Costs you nothing. People would pay $30 for a hard copy. I know I would.

32. Kevin in CA says:

I just used the on-demand self-publisher http://www.lulu.com and am very pleased! Before I read the other suggestions, I also thought of a print version. What an incredible resource this is!

Kevin in CA, can you explain to us exactly how you did that and how it works? I’m new to on-demand.

34. Kevin in CA says:

RE: how on-demand works
    Wow, you sure you wanna get me started? I’m really excited about lulu.com. For Christmas, I gave my mom a transcribed copy of my mission journals that looks just like a paperback book you’d pull off the shelf at Barnes & Noble.
    Ok, to put it concisely, you choose your Title, by-line, cover design, and format type (you can do paperback, hardback, spiral-bound, etc.). THEN you upload your pdf (needs to be ONE pdf file), and you click PUBLISH after you look at the preview. Then you, or anyone you choose to allow, can purchase a copy.
    You could do a test sample with, say, the Gospel of John in about 15 minutes. Just go to the site and click “Paperback Books” under START PUBLISHING.
    I’d be happy to do a sample for you if you’d like. Send me an e-mail and we can work out details– kevinb5@msn.com

Kevin

Trackbacks

1. [...] I have long been an advocate of a more critical approach to the Bible within our Mormon culture. I understand what has led us to the point we are at now and that those who desire further light and knowledge are under the responsibility themselves to search out of the best books. Kevin Barney (along with some co-authors) has produced the finest scriptural reference available to the Mormon community on the New Testament. Footnotes to the New Testament is a monumental achievement and as the upcoming topic for study in Sunday School is a must download for all. Thanks Kevin, I’ve been waiting for this for a long time. Explore posts in the same categories: Uncategorized [...]