Holy Week: Maundy Thursday

Ubi Caritas

Ubi caritas et amor,
Deus ibi est.
Congregavit nos in unum Christi amor.
Exsultemus et in ipso jucundemur,
Timeamus et amemus Deum vivum,
Et ex corde diligamus nos sincero.
Ubi caritas et amor, Deus ibi est.
Amen.

Where love and charity abide,
There God is.
We are gathered into one by the love of Christ.
Let us exult and be glad in Him.
Let us love and fear the living God,
And with pure hearts treasure one another.

Go to Dark Gethsemane–James Montgomery (ca. 1850)

Go to dark Gethsemane,
Ye who feel the tempter’s power;
Your Redeemer’s conflict see,
Watch with Him one bitter hour;
Turn not from His griefs away,
Learn from Jesus Christ to pray.

See him at the judgment hall,
beaten, bound, reviled, arraigned;
O the wormwood and the gall!
O the pangs his soul sustained!
Shun not suffering, shame, or loss;
learn of Christ to bear the cross.

Calvary’s mournful mountain climb;
there, adoring at his feet,
mark that miracle of time,
God’s own sacrifice complete.
“It is finished!” hear him cry;
learn of Jesus Christ to die.

Early hasten to the tomb
where they laid his breathless clay;
all is solitude and gloom.
Who has taken him away?
Christ is risen! He meets our eyes;
Savior, teach us so to rise.

Comments

1. great.

2. Mark IV says:

We are gathered into one by the love of Christ.

Thanks for all these.

3. woodboy says:

Here’s the rest of ubi caritas. Want to translate? I think my attempt would be lacking.

Simul ergo cum in unum congregamur
    Ne nos mente dividamur caveamus
    Cessent jurgia maligna, cessent lites
    Et in medio nostri sit Christus Deus

Simul quoque cum beatis videamus
    Glorianter vultum tuum, Christe Deus
    Gaudium, quod est immensum, atque probum
    Saecula per infinita saeculorum. Amen.

4. Kristine says:

btw, the titles of the songs link to sound files–the Ubi Caritas cuts out just at the Amen, and the other is just a MIDI of the tune, but it’s a taste, anyway.

Translation–thanks a lot, woodboy–nothing like a Latin problem to start the day :) Here’s my stab at it:

When we are gathered in one
    Let us beware of divisions in mind,
    Let us cease unkind quarrels, cease from strife,
    And Christ our God will be in our midst.

Let us, with the blessed,
    See the glory of your face, Christ our God,
    Great joy of infinite ages…

woodboy, you can see a translation here.

6. Kristine says:

Kevin, he knew that–he’s just testing me :)

7. Kristine, you inspired me to go to a Maundi Thursday service last night. It was fantastic. The music was of course incredible but the pastor’s sermon on loving one another and also letting our Christian accents betray us (a Peter shout out) was really good. He said, “no where in the gospel does it say blessed are the smug.” I thought that was good. Then we took communion by intinction (dipping the bread into the wine) and though I’ve seen it before that was my first experience doing it. I loved it. Anyway, thanks muchas for doing this I’m so glad I went.

8. Melissa De Leon Mason says:

Kristine, this series has been a little bit of spiritual goodness for me every morning this week. Great idea and thanks for posting.

9. Antonio Parr says:

Such a pity that the LDS Church doesn’t mark Holy Week. The Church is wasting the opportunity to have its members walk with our Lord during the last week of His life. Holy Week should be a part of remembering Christ, which is a covenant that we make every Sunday when we take the Sacrament.

10. Antonio – you’re right. Living in Catholic Vienna has been wonderful to see the focus in the churches here for Holy Week. (and hi! Hope you and the family are well!)

Kristine – thanks for this series – it’s been great.

11. Kristine says:

Antonio, I don’t know. I do think that spending more than one day on Easter deepens the experience, but then, Holy Week isn’t as good without Lent leading up to it, and pretty soon we’d be wanting the whole liturgical calendar. Our church is very much a working church, and not much into ritual or contemplative worship–even our approach to the Sacrament (eucharist) is much shorter and less ritualized than most churches that “do” Holy Week. I like the ritual, and feel at home in it, but it’s not very “Mormon”. I don’t think that’s necessarily bad–I suspect God likes lots of worhsip forms. And, frankly, until we start building beautiful churches and putting good organs in them, I’m happy to be free to enjoy the Anglicans’ good music during Holy Week.

Still, I confess to very much wishing for the presence of more of my co-religionist friends during the washing of feet last night; my heart is often torn between the music and rituals that speak so forcefully to me and the community that is and always will be my soul’s home. But this, too, seems like an especially Mormon predicament–think of Joseph adapting the Masonic ritual that spoke to him in some way, fitting it into Mormon theological understandings…

Someday we’ll all celebrate Holy Week (and probably Passover) together and get it right, Antonio; I think we should be patient with ourselves and each other until then!

(An aside–I was moved to not just tears, but big, hiccupping, runny-nosed sobbing by the washing of feet and the Eucharist last night at Christ Church. I thought it was as perfect and beautiful a ritual as I have ever seen. Afterwards. though, I overheard a spirited debate between an English Anglican and a lifelong American Episcopalian about whether the ceremony had been unduly long because people had been washing *both* feet, instead of just one, which is apparently common in England, which led to a discussion of various ways in which the ritual could have been made more efficient–bigger basins, more laypeople volunteering to help move things along, more footwashing stations. The true worship is always far off, no matter where your starting-point is!!)

12. Antonio Parr says:

Kristine:

Glad you had such a sacred experience last night.

Elder Maxwell was fond of saying that our message to fellow Christians was “bring all of the truth that you have, and we will give you even more.”

Well, one of the truths that other Christians “have” is the focus on Holy Week, and we should live true to our word to embrace all that is good and virtuous. I am not sure that we need to embrace the entire rituals surrounding lent in order to pay special heed to the remarkable events of the last week of Christ’s life. Unlikely most sacred events, we can actually track Christ’s foosteps, day-by-day, from the time that her arrived triumphantly to Jerusalem; his last supper; his harrowing hours in Gesthemane; his arrest, crucifixtion, “Saturday silence”, where the Living Lord was, for a moment, but a lifeless corpose in a tomb, and the explosion of life and hope that took place on Easter morning. Ring out, wild bells!

There is absolutely no reason why Latter-Day Saints can’t as a people focus on these seminal events in the life of their Saviour. It seems almost sinful to avoid what is otherwise taking place all around us in the lives of our fellow non-LDS believers in Christ.

Of course, the fact that as recently as 10 years ago there were wards that did not even recognize Easter shows that even the Lord’s Church still has very far to go . . .

13. Antonio Parr says:

So many typos! Sorry. Will be sure to proof my entry next time.

“~Unlike~ most sacred events, we can actually track Christ’s footsteps, day-by-day, from the time that ~he~ arrived . . .

14. Well kristine, at least you can be comforted by the fact that Christ Church has many more Mormons affiliated with it than any other Episcopal church I am aware of…

15. Mark N. says:

And let us not forget that old Mamas and the Papas tune, “Maundy Monday”…

16. Kristine, I’ll wash your feet anytime. (One or both!)

17. And here I clicked on the link, thinking we’d have a discussion about the link between the Savior and Marlon Brando (“Maundy, Tuesday, Thursday, Wednesday”).

Thanks, I’ll be here all week.

18. Thanks for this, Kristine. Wonderful.