My father was a professor of education, and he published a lot (he authored or coauthored eight books and dozens and dozens of articles). Whenever one of his pieces was accepted for publication, he would get excited about it, but I (and the rest of the family) would greet this news with a yawn. It was such a regular occurrence that it just wasn’t meaningful to me.
Now that I occasionally publish something, the tables have been turned, and Karma is repaying me for my disinterest in my father’s publications. My family has zero interest in any of this, and my wife’s running joke when I do get something published is to ask “Where’s the check?” (Mormon studies journals don’t usually pay for published articles). There are maybe two people in my entire stake who take notice when I get something published; most people would have no way of knowing about it.
It occurs to me, though, that my friends in the ‘Nacle might possibly have some interest in some of the things I’ve published over the years, but would not have any easy way of knowing how to find those pieces. So below I’ve set forth my list of publications, in case anyone should fiind anything there of use or interest. (This will also be a convenient way for me to point people who should ask me in the future to things I’ve published.) Where available, I’ve given a link for your convenience. Enjoy!
1. “Genius: A Philosophical Approach.” Century 2 (Brigham Young University; Fall 2 1980): 46-49. [First place winner, sophomore division of the Paper Chase Essay Contest, sponsored by the BYU Student Forum.]
2. “Calalus: Another Look.” Century 2 (Winter 1981): 81-89. [A translation of some Latin inscriptions.]
3. “The Joseph Smith Translation and Ancient Texts of the Bible.” Dialogue: A Journal of Mormon Thought 19/3 (Fall 1986): 85-102. [An electronic version is available here . An edited version appeared as Chapter 11 in Dan Vogel, ed., The Word of God: Essays on Mormon Scripture (Salt Lake City: Signature, 1990), 143-60.]
4. “Understanding Old Testament Poetry.” The Ensign (June 1990): 50-54. [First place winner of the 1989 Old Testament Article Contest. An electronic version is available at http://www.lds.org.
5. “Enallage in the Book of Mormon.” Journal of Book of Mormon Studies 3/1 (Spring 1994): 113-145. [An electronic version is available here ]
6. “Poetic Diction and Parallel Word Pairs in the Book of Mormon.” Journal of Book of Mormon Studies 4/2 (Fall 1995): 15-81. [An electronic version is available here ]
7. “Joseph Smith’s Emendation of Hebrew Genesis 1:1.” Dialogue: A Journal of Mormon Thought 30/4 (Winter 1997): 103-35. [An electronic version is available here . Supplemented by a letter to the editor in a subsequent issue.]
8. “Divine Discourse Directed at a Prophet’s Posterity in the Plural.” Journal of Book of Mormon Studies 6/2 (1997): 229-34. [This is a brief addendum to “Enallage.” An electronic copy is available here . An edited version was published in John W. Welch and Melvin J. Thorne, eds., Pressing Forward with the Book of Mormon (Provo: FARMS, 1999), 43-48.]
9. “‘Slippery Treasures’ in the Book of Mormon: A Concept from the Ancient World.” Insights: An Ancient Window (June 2000): 2. [An electronic version is available here .]
10. “Examining Six Key Concepts in Joseph Smith’s Understanding of Genesis 1:1.” BYU Studies 39/3 (2000): 107-24. [An electronic copy is available here .]
11. “Reflections on the Documentary Hypothesis.” Dialogue: A Journal of Mormon Thought 33/1 (Spring 2000): 57-99. [An electronic version is available here .]
12. “A Seemingly Strange Story Illuminated.” FARMS Review of Books 13/1 (2001): 1-20. An electronic version is available here .]
13. With David Linn. “Let Us Stain Our Swords No More.” Insights: An Ancient Window 22/1 (2002). [An electronic version is available here .]
14. “A More Responsible Critique.” FARMS Review 15/1 (2001): 97-146. [An electronic version is available here .]
15. “Isaiah Interwoven.” FARMS Review 15/1 (2001): 353-402. [An electronic version is available here .]
16. “An Elegant Presentation.” FARMS Review 16/1 (2004): 1-10. [An electronic version is available here .]
17. “Hugh Winder Nibley — In Memoriam.” Sunstone 137 (May 2005): 10-13. [An electronic version is available here .]
18. “The Facsimiles and Semitic Adaptation of Existing Sources.” In John Gee and Brian Hauglid, eds. Astronomy, Papyrus and Covenant. Provo: FARMS, 2005. [Studies in the Book of Abraham, Volume 3.] [An electronic version is available here .]
19. “Seeking Joseph Smith’s Voice.” Journal of Book of Mormon Studies 15/1 (2006): 54-59. [An electronic version is available here .]
Selected Internet Publications
24. “A Brief Review of Murphy and Southerton’s ‘Galileo Event.’” [An edited version of this essay appeared in print form in Anthropology News. The electronic version was republished in Meridian Magazine.]
27. “An Introduction to LDS Apologetics” fireside presentation.
28. “On the Etymology of Deseret,” BCC Papers 1/2 (2006).
29. “On Elkenah as Canaanite El,” BCC Papers 2/2 (2007).