Here’s a dozen thoughts I had the other night, working as a veil worker:
1. God, please help me be worthy of your house and to do my best.
2. I hope I remember everything.
3. Oh no! I don’t remember everything!
4. Never mind, I do.
5. How do they keep this carpet so clean?
6. Are these words mostly for us, or for the dead? I think they must be for us. This is a public communion. We’re coming together to show our devotion to the Church and to each other. We’re here to all show each other that we mean to pass through that veil to return to God, and we’re here to do it together.
7. Wait… did that guy just skip a word?
8. They’ve cancelled more sessions this week. I wonder if there’s a decline in attendance in this area. I hope not.
9. That old man shuffling by in his temple robes… he looks stronger and more alive than I’ve ever been.
10. So much of this is repetition, precision, a chain of order… then beyond the veil, nothing but peace and wide-open creative thought.
11. These are good people.
12. This is beautiful.