Your Monday poll #10

[poll=88]

Comments

1. I shall not be parsing “best.”

P.S. Person who voted “other.” Please supply details.

2. There appear to be at least a couple “other” votes at this point. Mine is for the work of CS Lewis.

(I suppose I could have choosen “General Conference” given how often he is quoted.)

3. Nothing tops the record of the life of Jesus Christ on earth, in my honest opinion.

4. For its authentic sense of humanity, the OT.

For its daring and beautiful theology, the Pearl of Great Price (Moses and Abraham).

OT wins for its depth and scope.

5. I’m torn between the Old and New Testaments. The Old Testament really speaks to me, and there are a lot of hidden gems there. However, I voted for the New Testament for the same reason Dan did. I love reading about the mortal ministry of our Savior.

I voted OT also, Ronan. I’ve always loved the OT, ever since I had a great SS class on OT stories when I was like 9 or 10 years old, taught by an older woman who was a convert from another Christian tradition and knew the stories like the back of her hand.

7. I voted NT. I agree with Dan #3. Easy to read and understand. No mass dying/killing in wars etc.. The earthly ministry of the Savior and the early disciples are choice above all, for me.

8. Of course they are all wonderful for specific and general reasons. But NT has so much of the Savior’s teachings and words and the letters of Paul are simply the best.

9. Several people voted for the Book of Mormon, but none have commented yet, so I guess it’s up to me. I’ve been struck so many times by the plain words of Nephi. The simplicity of much in the BOM appeals to me.

10. MikeInWeHo says:

The BoM for me, mostly because it’s the only one that I read on a regular basis.

11. The OT, hands down. The poetry is incomparable. The pathos and spiritual yearning tugs at my heart. There are those odd little tidbits that don’t make any sense…yet! There is so much breadth, and it is intellectually satisfying to dig in and discover those hidden mysteries!

12. BoM, all the way. Most readable, most fun, most spiritual bang for your buck.

13. I voted Doctrine & Covenants, though I would’ve selected Book of Commandments had it been an option. I find the revelations given to Joseph absolutely fascinating, both in their content and in their language.

14. MCQ,
    I disagree with your “most readable.” You need a proper Bible translation, son.

15. OTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOT.

Then BoM, NT, GenCon, PGP, and D&C.

Do you sense a trend?

16. I wish we could break this down to the level of favorite book of scripture. I find Johannine Christianity (esp. John 13-17) to be especially compelling in terms of (wo)man’s relationship to Deity as well as (wo)man’s relationship to (wo)man. And it’s just beautiful to read.

17. Sorry, but Leviticus is the tie breaker for me putting OT last on my list.

18. I prefer D&C because it give a bit more relevance to today’s issues, a close second is the Ensign. Don’t get me wrong, the standard works are incredible reads, they reinforce each other so much, but they are more ancient and old fashioned.

NT. No book has more/better Jesus.

20. #19

Is more/better Jesus similar to Big Butter Jesus? *grin*

21. 19 – Kinda like this?

Jacob M, precisely. Or, alternatively, this (although there’s a little too much leg in that one).

23. Or this!

24. OK, I’m not even going to comment on that action figure thing.

For fave (I don’t really know how to interpret “best”) I voted PoGP because as a kid when I first read it, I felt like it was unlocking the mysteries of the universe for me! Such unique and powerful doctrine.

2nd – new testament.

25. I vote for POGP for the same reason meems did. That and it’s been fascinating to me ever since one our Stake Presidents called it “the wackiest of all the scriptures”. That added to my interest. I still read through it while waiting for temple sessions.

OT is second.

26. POGP, it is the most unique, and most powerful, mind-blowing stuff Mormonism has to offer. I have to say my choice does vary year however, NT, BOM, their all good.

27. Nick Literski says:

As an believing Mormon who loved the doctrines of Mormonism, my favorite was the Doctrine & Covenants, with the OT close behind. These days, I prefer my “scripture” in allegorical and symbolic form. I choose The Matrix. :-)

28. Book of Mormon.

I love the sermons of Jacob, Alma, and Amulek, and find that I really enjoy digging deeper into some of the verses and passages. Plus there are some definitely wacky stories there as well. Strangely enough, I don’t much like Paul’s writings in the NT, and there’s just too much ground to cover in the OT. PGP? I don’t read it that much anymore. D&C is useful, but not as inspiring as the BoM.

29. Book of Mormon for being “the most correct of any book on earth, and the keystone of our religion, and a man would get nearer to God by abiding by its precepts, than by any other book.”

30. My children’s friends call it “Touchdown Jesus” – my children call it “Apostasy Jesus”

31. Jason Huber says:

if the “most correct of any book on earth” has to quote various passages and chapters from the OT/NT to stimulate and challenge the mind, then would it not make sense to read the OT/NT with the same fanatic-like fervor.

top prize goes to the NT (see post #3) and second goes to OT for its symbolisms, poetry and prose, third goes to PoGP for its astrological content. fourth, D&C (turned off by the various explanations of church beaucracy), and lastly the BOM (reads too much like a Gerald Lund novel (dont get me wrong i’m a believer(the BOM not WatG))).

32. 32 – The NT also quotes various passages from the OT. You’re logic would indicate then that OT is the top.

Personally, I would like to note that our esteemed poller declined to give his position, which I think is because it’s usually not a good idea to place one part of the cannon over another one. They’re all great in their own ways.

30 – Thanks, Ray. That is awesome! :)

33. Another OT vote here, probably followed by the Book of Mormon, then NT, then PGP, then D&C.

This also represents my time distribution of which books I study most.

I find the OT most puzzling and intriguing, and it holds my interest that way. With the exception of D&C, everything else is based on it or related to it in some way.

34. Nick Literski says:

Actually, much in the Doctrine & Covenants (and much in Mormon theology) is very much based on the Old Testament, particularly in relation to priesthood and temple matters.

35. I voted BoM, becasue without it, I would read any scriptures, because I wouldn’t believe in scriptures.

36. Jacob (#33) Ronan did tell us his position in #4, and as his wife, I can tell you it’s the OT for him. Where else can you find a talking donkey??!!

For me, like many others I voted NT for being able to read about Jesus’ ministry. Although some of my most favourite individual scriptures are in the BoM.

37. I voted for the NT. It’s where most of the truly unique Mormon doctrines are found.

38. Adam Greenwood says:

I voted NT because of Acts, which narrowly edges out the war chapters in Alma.

39. Adam Greenwood says:

Steve E.,
    not only is there too much leg, its way too waxed.

40. It can’ be done. Not with what we know. They “all” make a fruit salad. You have to have the bananas, apples, oranges, grapes etc. Its true that each can stand on its own but one does not make a fruit salad.

41. I love the Bible for its imagery and poetry, but the Book of Mormon, besides being the truest book on earth, has “highlights” from the Bible in it.

Best of all, right? :)

42. Dang, BoM surpassed NT. Guys, the Book of Mormon is another testament of Jesus Christ. The New Testament is THE Testament of Jesus Christ. It is his original words, well as accounted by various Apostles.

43. Christopher Bradford (Grasshopper) says:

D&C. The only book of scripture where we actually have primary sources and a great example of how canonization happens and how scripture changes. The only book of the canon that is even theoretically still open. Plus, sections 88, 93, 76, 121, 128, 138, 19, 84, and so on …

44. I feel technically challenged – How do you vote? =(

(It is still Monday, isn’t it?)

45. MikeInWeHo says:

D&C Section 163 (Yes, 163!) touches my heart. You can read it here:

Regardless of what you think about your spiritual first cousins in the Community of Christ, read verses 3-4 and ask yourself: Do you hear The Lord’s voice here?

46. D&C. It makes prophets seem real and inane bureaucratic stuff seem inspiring. Next the Book of Mormon and Pearl of Great Price for being enjoyable reads. Then the NT and Old Testament. I really like them all.

And Ronan? Putting the Ensign on the list makes me grumpy.

47. mondo cool says:

I don’t like “best” questions. But, a view of the results kinda matches my interests in the various standard works; i.e., NT gets about 34% of my interest and BoM at 32%. They’re that close. I guess the only reason I slightly favor the NT is because it is what brought me to Mormonism. I would, however, rate the PGP slightly higher than the D&C as to what I spend my time on.

48. D. Fletcher says:

I think the New Testament wins, fairly handily, as the “best” of the scriptures. I look forward to studying it, every four years as it comes around, in Sunday School.

But it has some serious competition as the most “beautiful” scripture, from many passages in the Old Testament.

As to the Book of Mormon and other works compiled by Joseph Smith, they are also-rans as scripture and art. Notably, they make very poor lyrics for songs, compared to Psalm 23 “The Lord is My Shepherd,” Job’s “I know that my redeemer liveth,” and Jesus’ “In my father’s house are many mansions.”

49. 43 – It’s his original words, as recorded, but unforturnately edited by people with abominable creeds. :) Of course, I only know about the abominable creeds because of the Pearl of Great Price. Which I didn’t vote for.

50. Ok. I will say one thing about the NT. Where else can you read stuff like this?

51. Jacob M, you remind me of the Monty Python immortal question, “What’s brown and sounds like a bell?”

52. I’m not sure how I should take that kevinf.

(#53): Like a man, Jake: take a wide stance, bend your knees a little and accept the e-kick to your cybernuts.

54. My favorite is 2 Kings 18:27 – but I’m not about to quote or link it here and risk kevinf’s infamous cyber whooping.

55. Question: what’s the best bear?

This was a tough poll.

56. Thanks for the scripture, Ray.

54 – Steve, taking a wide stance is not well-advised these days.

But I am smarting from the cyber-nut-crunch. And speaking in a higher pitched e-voice.