In Memoriam: Gordon B. Hinckley

President Hinckley was eight years old when President Joseph F. Smith died. He has, like no other Church President before, taken the Gospel to every nation, kindred, tongue and people. We thank thee, oh God, for him.

Comments

1. My favorite memory of President Hinckley came in New York, where I attended the stake conference at which he announced that there was to be a temple in the city. I was filled with the Spirit as I sat there in the crowd, and I knew he was a prophet of God, both in the sense of Rev. 19:10 and in the sense of being filled with sacred knowledge about the Church and its people. I will miss him very dearly.

2. When I was at the SLC Cemetery on a Memorial Day a few years ago–shortly after the death of Sister Hinckley (he grave was not yet marked)–someone told me that President Hinckley had been there early, early in the morning. Understandable that he would have gone so early to avoid the crowds. Theirs was such a beautiful marriage. It is wonderful to think of them being together again.

3. At least he is back with his beloved wife. We will all miss him dearly.

4. Goodbye for now President Hinckley. You will be missed.

5. Other than Pres. Kimball, Pres. Hinckley was the kindest, most gentle man of great authority I have ever known. He was a “gentleman” in the truest sense of the word.

He also is the only Prophet my children have known. My middle daughters started crying as soon as I told them he had died.

6. Sam Kitterman says:

I remember his coming to Las Vegas and holding a priesthood session for part of the valley, opening the floor for questions. His vibrancy as the Lord’s prophet was something I have never forgotten….

7. What a sad, sad day. Godspeed, President Hinckley.

8. NoCoolName_Tom says:

I saw him twice, both at hosted dinners (not sitting at the same table, but nearby). The first time (about six years ago) I remember he politely asked if his soup could be served without broccoli, which I found funny and very human. He was always smiling that night.

The second time (a tad less than a year ago) I almost missed seeing him in the crowd; he seemed so old and frail, so much more than he does on TV at Conference. He was still smiling, but you could tell that his age was finally catching up with him.

He and his wife are back together. We were so blessed to have him with us – his mind stayed sharp and firm even to the end, and his testimony of Jesus Christ always pierced my heart.

9. Thanks for the link mistaben.

DOM was the prophet of my childhood, SWK of my youth, and GBH of my adulthood. The fact that he ran the church for so many years before he even became the president of the Church means that a huge percentage of our membership doesn’t really know a time without him guiding the ship.

He was a great leader. I loved the fact that he was so open, both with the members and with the world at large. That was something we really needed and still do. I loved his pragmatism. I loved his playfulness and humor. I loved his optimism–something we could use these days.

One of my favorite of his articles was his piece on the name Mormon, which was just excellent.

Just a few random thoughts on the man.

11. non-mormon-observer says:

I am sorry to hear of this…

12. I just today taught a lesson on the orderliness of the Church. How grateful I am that the Church will just go forth, calmly, quietly, with out a bump, no campaigning, no voting, just prepared men stepping up . We will miss Pres Hinckley. He’s the only prophet my kids have known. He cannot be replaced; no one else has that close link to long-ago figures.

Deb

13. Eric Russell says:

The press release states, “A successor is not expected to be formally chosen by the Church’s Quorum of the Twelve Apostles until after President Hinckley’s funeral within the next few days.”

Does anyone know what this means? Is there a formal process by which President Monson will be “chosen”?

14. Eric, yes. There is a formal process in which the Twelve elect the next President, who then chooses counselors. Tradition is that the seniormost member of the Twelve is appointed.

15. I thank God for this prophet. He has meant a great deal to me and the church as a whole. My first also was that now he is with his beloved Marjorie. But we will miss him so very much!

16. Sorry. It was “my first thought . . . “

17. A few months before the end of my mission, I saw President Hinckley at the dedication of the Porto Alegre Brazil Temple.

A week or so before the dedication, we were eating lunch with a rather wealthy woman in the ward, and she told us that she’d had a dream about being at the temple for the dedication, and that my companion and I were there also. We thought that was a neat dream, but a dream nonetheless. For like all our mission’s missionaries we’d been issued tickets to attend the dedicatory service from the Porto Alegre South Stake Center.

A series of unlooked-for “tender mercies” resulted in my companion and I helping to set up the VIP breakfast and other stuff early that morning. Later we found ourselves seated in the lobby on exceedingly white plastic chairs. We watched the service on closed-circuit television, but when the Hinckleys, the Fausts, etc. went outside for the cornerstone ceremony, they walked within a few feet of us.

There are truly prophets among men, and he is one of them. Hosanna!

18. I first met him in Okamachi, Japan, in April 2004, when he was touring our mission. He seemed bigger in person than he had on television at conference.

The next time was in 1986, when he came to a regional conference in New York. Our stake hosted a dinner Saturday night. When I greeted him that evening, he asked “Say, are you ______’s son?” naming my father. What a mind he must have, I thought.

Friendly, kind, forgiving, a giant oak of a man. Godspeed, Pres. Hinckley. And a glorious reunion with your beloved, sweet Marjorie.

19. President Hinkley was the only President that I have ever known since I am a convert. Our love, thought’s and prayers are with his family. The comfort we have is that he is with his beloved wife. I wish I would have had the chance to meet him . What a wonderful man and we will miss him dearly.

20. I also think about the reunion with his mother. What a wonderful thing for her to be reunited with her child.

21. ???? ??? ????? ??????? ???? ?????

Peggy has a nice piece up now at the SL Tribune.

23. Oh, how sad. I didn’t realize until a few minutes ago (when I heard the news) how much Ioved President Hinckley’s leadership and counsel. Besides feeling sympathy for Pres. Hinckley’s family tonight, I also feel for President Monson, who probably feels quite a weight on his shoulders tonight.

24. From that piece:

“His keen intellect and thirst to understand how everything works resulted in a storehouse of knowledge that will be nearly irreplaceable,” said Elder Marlin Jensen, the church’s official historian. “I believe he was a true prophet but it didn’t hurt that he was a genius, too.”

Amen.

25. Eric Russell says:

Thanks Jim, Steve.

In any case, President Hinckley’s shoes will be difficult to fill; he was as full of love and good-will as a man can be.

26. Dear prophet! I served a few months of my mission in President Hinckley’s stake (12 years ago). One Sunday I crashed his ward just for fun. A young father came forward to bless his new baby. I watched President Hinckley on the stand sort of lean forward, look around, then stand up and approach the circle. Seemed like he was trying to decide whether to invite himself in. He always seemed to say and do just the right thing.

27. Godspeed, dear President Hinkley.

28. Requiescat in pace.

29. I have a collaborative post in the works on influential 20th century Mormons. It’ll be up soon enough, but mulling over the post for the past few days and discussing it with friends and colleagues, I’ve come to the conclusion that Gordon B. Hinckley was bar none the most influential Mormon of the past century and, likely, the third most influential in the history of the Church. He is the prophet of my adolescence and passage into adulthood. I posted here recently on the personal impact he had on me, my faith, my commitment to the Church, and my view of the world. That I could feel such a deep affection and closeness to a man I never once met.

I will miss him deeply.

30. I loved President Hinckley. He was a true modern leader of our day and I truly looked up to him– his gentle humor, wisdom, and love for mankind. He will be truly missed. I am sure the welcome he received in heaven today was a joyous one. I can imagine our Father greeting him with open arms and a “job well done.”

31. I’ve been wondering how I’d react to the news of President Hinckley’s passing. It was tears of sadness and tears of joy. I loved President Hinckley and I thank God for his sweet, sweet soul.

32. cj douglass says:

Sad for all of us. Wonderful for him. Reunions are so sweet.

33. A wonderful, wonderful man.

34. Neatest Pres. Hinckley memory for me: when he announced a temple was to be built in Monticello. Only one person in the whole stake knew the announcement was coming. For the rest of us it was a huge surprise.

35. Amazing man who will be deeply missed. I loved his mischievious sense of humour and his sense of the spiritual was something that could not be matched.

36. He is the only Prophet I ever knew. I joined the Church seven years ago, and this is overwhelming to me…

37. I met the prophet on two occasions and was struck by his blue, blue eyes. I am so grateful that Heavenly Father allowed him to go while his mind was still razor sharp. But how I will miss him.

38. What a wonderful obituary. Thanks, Jim.

39. Oh how we will miss him.

40. Latter-day Guy says:

On the several occasions I was in the same room as him, he always did something clever and witty. I will certainly miss his leadership, but I will miss more his personality. You always felt like you knew him.

41. I recall a time in which a noted public speaker gave a speech before a large crowd circa 1995 or so (I don’t recall the event but it was something non-church specific IIRC) that was really inspiring, and Pres. Hinckley was up next. I remember more than a few thinking it was unfortunate that the prophet had to go next, following those insightful remarks. A few minutes after Pres. Hinckley had started speaking, no one could remember what the other person had spoke about, such was the power of one possessing the mantle of prophet.

In a similar way that mantle will pass on to another, presumably Pres. Monson, and although we won’t forget Pres. Hinckley, we will come to revere the new prophet and feel the power of this mantle. When the prophet of God speaks, a listener can’t help but take notice. I will be curious to see the transformation, especially evidenced by his first conference talk.

42. I remember while serving my mission in 1990 I was pretty discouraged and wrote home to my dad, wondering if I had made the right choice. My dad responded by sending me a copy of President Hinkley’s experience of being discouraged on his mission to England and the response his own father gave him to lose himself in the work. Over the years, I have been thankful to know that a prophet of the Lord felt discouraged and was open enough to share it so it could help a young missionary like me.

43. best line from the NYTimes Obit: “He would often disarm interrogators with peppery humor, once welcoming a New Yorker magazine reporter to his office with the greeting, ‘All writers should be put in a box and thrown in the sea.'”

44. I joined the church in 1996, so President Hinckley has been the only prophet I have known. From my first general conference I have been overwhelmed by his love and acceptance for people. His messages seemed to be full of ways for each of us to be better people. His words truly were for the people of the world to work together and build bridges. I have never been touched by a person I never met but immediately felt reverence and love for, as I felt for him. I will miss his words and the spirit he conveyed.

45. I loved how, as prophet, he assumed a sort of authority to joke with his General Conference audiences. I think that uncommon charisma endeared many of us to him in ways that we are not used to from general authorities. He will indeed be missed.

46. After reading this bittersweet news, I find a strong desire to be a better person: to go through my day and my life with the sort of optimism and faith he has exemplified for me. This will be my tribute to his memory.

47. A day of rest indeed! No one I know has so earned one as you, dear prophet. Yet somehow I know there will be a sweet reunion and then plenty of work to do. A Monday morning to be sure, getting your bearings, and then on your way. So thank you for your love and example. I will miss you.

48. This bit from Peggy Fletcher Stack’s Deseret News article cracked me up:

Hinckley told Jensen he had no particular system for crafting his speeches.
    “I just keep reading and clipping things and putting them in a drawer,” the Mormon prophet said. “Then, when I have a talk to give, I go to the drawer and whatever is on top is what they get.”
    Such humor belies the truth, Jensen said. “Few have ever been as eloquent and inspiring in their speaking as he. He could relate and connect with everyone – old and young, rich and poor, educated and unlearned.”

Amen!

49. President Hinckley was an amazing man: optimistic, energetic, intelligent, humorous and deeply spiritual. What a blessing he has been in so many lives. I will miss him.

50. Antonio Parr says:

President Hinckley was a man of immense capabilities who clearly was committed deeply to the notion of serving the Lord, his God, with all of his might, heart, mind and strength. Having fought the good fight and finished his course, I have no doubt that Brother Gordon has been received with love and tears of joy on the other side.

51. There is a tree at Gadfield Elm chapel in England that President Hinckley planted. He predicted it wouldn’t take. He was right. The tree was subsequently replanted, but no-one knows…

We British Saints have lost a proper Anglophile in President Hinckley. We shall miss him telling us how much he loves England, dank Preston flats in the 1930’s notwithstanding.

52. We were saddened by this news this morning not having gone online last night at all. The idea of the Church or a General Conference without President Hinckley put a further damper on a very foggy, damp Monday as my daughters and I trudged to their school.

I will miss his voice resonating from the pulpit at General Conference and admonishing during Priesthood meetings.

53. Gabriel S. says:

He was a kind of Polar Star for me. He became President of the Church two months before my release as missionary. I feel his ministry to me was personal, intimate.
    It is also wonderful to see the beautiful family he and Sis Hinckley raised.
    We are so sad and lonely now. Thank you, Pres Hinckley, for what you’ve done for Zion, for my Argentina, for my family, for me.

54. A giant personality in such a kind and gentle and humble man. We are so fortunate to have had him for so long.

55. simon McCarthy says:

i’m happy now that he has the chance to be with his wife again.
    He was a Man of God, the world will miss him but will never forget him!
    sir i thank you for all that you have done for me and my heavenly, family we love you and will miss you.

56. I remember during the Manhattan NY Temple Jubilee at Radio City Music Hall President Hinkley gave a talk in which his main theme was “the gospel is fun”. I am so happy for him to be with his beloved Marjorie again.

57. I am amazed by all the policy changes that he oversaw during his service. He was a prophet with inspiring optimism and a can-do attitude.

58. S.P. Bailey says:

My best memory of President Hinckley:

He spoke to our mission circa 1996. My companion and I traveled all night from Caico to Recife, and we arrived at the church very early. We sat in the front bench in the Rua das Ninfas stake center, only a few feet from President and Sister Hinckley. Before his comments, President Hinckley asked us to stand up so he could get a good look at us.

“Smile,” he said.

Apparently unsatisfied with our response, he repeated (as well as I remember): “Smile, Elders and Sisters. I mean it! This is a joyful work. Smile!”

I know the church will go on. And I am glad for him to be reunited with his wife. But the world is a darker place without him in it.

59. I remember the meeting where he announced the establishment of the Perpetual Education Fund. Although I had at testimony of his calling before that, I realized again at that moment that he was articulating to us the will of God.

60. Well done, thy good and faithful servant…

As a convert (2005) President Hinckley is also the only prophet I’ve known. For the rest of my life he will be what I see in my mind’s eye when I think of a prophet. What a wonderful image to have and cherish!

61. I think the P Education fund will stand as one of the his greatest accomplishments. I remember on my mission in Africa thinking how unfair it was that I would go home to relative luxury and opportunity and many of my fellow missionaries would go home to poverty.

62. annahannah says:

Remember the picture from last conference with him “knighting” President Eyring?? His mind was so sharp for one so old. I loved his humor. I second the above comments. What more can I say? I love President Hinckley.

63. We learned the news when we arrived home late last night after visiting with friends. My wife checked the messages and gasped. She announced it to the room, whereupon my daughter broke down into sobs. My wife and I immediately joined her and we fell to our knees to pray. We all knew the day was coming, but it was still a major blow. We loved him like no other prophet in our lifetimes.

64. I also have been touched by how much he has focused on marriage – begging the brethren of the Church to love and serve and never disappoint their wives – since Marjorie passed away three years ago. His tribute to her in General Conference was one of the sweetest things I have ever heard in my life. I cried listening to him that day, and I cried last night remembering it. I especially was touched by the following:

“My children and I were at her bedside as she slipped peacefully into eternity. As I held her hand and saw mortal life drain from her fingers, I confess I was overcome. Before I married her, she had been the girl of my dreams, to use the words of a song then popular. She was my dear companion for more than two-thirds of a century, my equal before the Lord, really my superior. And now in my old age, she has again become the girl of my dreams.

I am glad he sees her no longer just in his dreams.

65. Two memories:
    When I was in the Mission Home (1972) he was chairman of the Missionary Committee and came to speak to us. He looked at us and was silent for a few moments, then said “You’re not much to look at, but you’re all the Lord has.” It was a gentle reminder not to take ourselves too seriously, but to take the work very seriously.

I was a tired mother of 5 children under the age of 10 and my husband and I both had significant church
    responsibilities. Pres. Hinckley was then 3rd counselor to an ill Pres. Kimball, whose counselors were also aged and very ill. He was essentially working alone in the presidency. He spoke of taking a few moments the evening before to listen to a Mozart violin concerto, and how it had renewed him. I have survived many difficult seasons in my life since then by letting beautiful music renew me.
    Pres. Hinckley said “Sometimes I feel like my desk is the garbage can of the church.” I have thought often how much we take for granted the ability to pass difficult problems one level higher, but that ultimately it stops. How important it is, then, to each do our parts wells, seeking inspiration, so as not to add to the burdens of our leaders, and how we must sustain then with our prayers.

66. President Hinckley was the the latest of three spiritual giants that have framed my life in the church. Pres. McKay was the prophet of my childhood, and Pres. Kimball of my early adulthood. The two best memories I have of President Hinckley are two that have already been mentioned. One was his announcement of the Perpetual Education Fund. I remember so well upon hearing him speak that this indeed was a prophet, and that he had exercised that prophetic calling in setting up and organizing the program. It was just an overwhelming sense of “Here is a prophet of God”.

The second was when the new conference center was being dedicated, and he talked about the podium being built of the wood from the walnut tree that had grown in his yard. I was very touched by the gesture, but now am grateful that this reminder of Pres. Hinckley will be with us for a long time.

It was also gratifying that while visiting with our daughter’s family last night for dinner, and getting a call from one of our other sons about Pres. Hinckley’s passing that I was able to get on BCC and read the 20 or so comments that had already been made.

Pres. Hinckley, we will miss you dearly, but your beloved Marjorie has been waiting long enough. Godspeed.

67. We have lost our prophet. How deeply emotional it is.
    What a sweet, funny man President Hinckley was. I have always enjoyed listening to him because he was so easy to relate to.
    I loved him and am still teary eyed. The Earth and all her creations are in mourning.

68. My favorite memory of Pres Hinckley:

My wife and I were the last two in our stake to sign up to volunteer for the Las Vegas Temple dedication, so our assignment was in the basement. For some reason I do not remember, we also had to be there earlier than most of the other volunteers. Otherwise, we had the chance to get tickets for the Celestial Room, but we decided to volunteer anyway.

It turned out that I was stationed at the below-ground entrance to the temple, so as the general authorities arrived, they came up the tunnel where I stood. I thought it was pretty cool that I got to see them so up close and personal. I didn’t mind that they walked past me in a hurry to get to the changing room.

On the other hand, my wife was stationed at the other end of the hall, near the staircase that led from the dressing rooms up to the Celestial Room. None of the brethren went straight up, but those who got dressed more quickly waited for at least one other so they could go up the stairs together. During one of the lulls in this activity, my wife was looking away, just kind of daydreaming. Her reverie was broken when an old man sneaked up behind her and poked her in the ribs, saying “Hello, sweetie!” As she turned around, it was Pres Hinckley. He joked a little more with her before he went up the stairs.

Yep, the prophet flirted with my wife.

69. There are many times when my lack of eloquence pains me (and others). I don’t have the words for President Hinckley’s passing. I am sad to see him go. I am glad that he and Marjorie are reunited. The really bad bits of me are already speculating about the next apostle/counselor. I will miss him, as will the church. We are all better for having known him, which is about the greatest compliment I can think of anyway.

That’s enough.

70. President Gordon B. Hinckley was the only living Prophet I’ve ever
    known. His sense of fun, wit, love, humor, joy and compassion were a magnet that drew many to the Church. He was Christ-like.

I love the tribute I heard on the news here in Salt Lake City when they interviewed a visitor at Temple Square….

“What a wonderful life. What a wonderful man. His message….’forgive yourself and get to work!’”

71. Clarification for Bethie; the quote is “forget yourself and go to work.” This is a truly bitter sweet time for all members of the church. Hopefully, we can strive to live life more like President Hinckley did.

72. It is a bittersweet time when someone as remarkable as President Hinckley leaves this life. He touched so many lives, and as Norbert said, his passing encourages me to try harder and to do better. What a great example of optimism and of enduring to the end. He had a great love for the saints and visited so many around the world.

73. Sad to see him go, glad to be able to cherish his memory, both the memory he possessed and the memory he created.

74. It took until 11:50 last night for the cnn ticker to announce President Hinckley had died. In the meantime, I noticed that the head of the Greek Orthodox Church had too, passed of liver cancer at 69 years old. Today, I find myself comforting my Greek friends, who, in return, pay their condolances to me on the passing of our leader. As my former boss, a Presbytera (wife of a Priest) said, ‘a sad day for both Churches.’ Indeed.

I shall miss him. What a great Spirit. Our loss is Heaven’s gain.

75. I had the wonderful experience of serving on the Houston Temple Music Committee and (embarrassment of riches) being in the temple for 5 of the 8 sessions, 3 of them in the celestial room. It was truly one of the most rich and spiritual weekends of my life. One of my most clear pictures of those sessions in my mind was Pres. Hinckleys uplifted face as he waved his handkerchief and shouted “Hosanna.” I just reread my journal memories of that time and would like to share with you some of my record:

Pres. Hinckley generally didn’t have prepared remarks but talked from his heart. He got very emotional in a couple of the sessions. In one he was talking about a review he read in the SL paper about a rock concert or festival where a lot of young people spent $35-50 a ticket for what the reviewer said was filth — degrading garbage. And Pres. Hinckley just bent over the pulpit and wept. He said “I want you to know that I love the youth of the church so much. I know we have so many fine youth. But the thought that any of our youth are spending money to subject themselves to filth just causes me great pain.” In the last session he talked about his travels around the world and the love he feels for people from all the different parts of the world. He talked about how early on he was assigned to the Asia area and he was a bit apprehensive about working in Japan, because he had heard so much negative WWII stuff about them. But he said he loved the people there. He said the people in Korea say that when he’s resurrected, he’ll have slanted eyes. He cracked a lot of jokes. But when he talked about how he loved the saints, his voice would choke up and he would cry. It was an amazing experience to be that close and to feel his love…. Elder Holland said that after 11 hours in the temple yesterday, he and Pres. Hinckley went into the offices they were using in the temple and Pres. Hinckley shortly came into his office singing a hymn at the top of his lungs. He confided in us that Pres. Hinckley sings all the time — in the shower, in the car. (Pres. Hinckley later said — yes, now you know the secret. I sing all the time and Pres. Faust whistles, and neither of us do them very well) He said we should show in our countenances that we are happy people…. [After Elder Holland shared his favorite scripture] Pres. Hinckley got up and said — “I don’t know why we tend to have favorite scriptures. Maybe it’s because different verses relate to different aspects of our personality.” But he said his favorite scripture was D&C 112:10: “Be thou humble and the Lord thy God shall lead thee by the hand, and give thee answer to thy prayers.” Hard to imagine Pres. Hinckley having any struggle with humility. He also said he loved what Jesus said at the time he raised the daughter of Jairus (Mark 5:36) “Be not afraid, only believe.”

I don’t know if I’ll be able to feel quite the same about the prophets that will follow him.

76. I was lucky enough to have had a personal encounter with him as well as serve with his grandson on my mission. I have some experiences on my website:

77. non-mormon-observer says:

#24 great link to a very good article chock full of info I didn’t know…

78. Pres Hinckley attended Sac Mtg at our ward in Feb 1991, just before the first US Gulf War. My memory of him is coming in the side door and just bounding up the steps to the stand — this tremendous physical energy for a man his age (or any age). He had just been in Ephraim counseling with concerned families whose children were being deployed, and talked about the good seeds that are planted by LDS servicemen. I wrote down his remarks about how even if the war should end quickly, serious problems would still remain in the region. No one was talking about ‘quickly’ at that time; it was a prophetic comment on all counts.

A while back I taught a lesson on his recent ‘Need for Greater Kindness’ talk. He says “Throughout my service as a memeber of the First Presidency, I have recognized and spoken a number of times on the diversity we see in our society.” Really?, I wondered–and walked into class with a stack of conference Ensigns for all the years of his presidency, each flagged with a strong statement on the subject. My favorite part of the talk is his exhortation to take this seriously: “We cannot be complacent about it. We are memebers of the Church of our Lord. We have an obligation to Him as well as to ourselves and others. … Let us radiate the light of the gospel at all times and all places, that the Spirit of the Redeemer may raidate from us.”

God speed, President Hinckley — how we will miss you.

79. As a convert to the church, I met Pres. Hinckley in the 80’s (not 1880’s) when he spoke at a regional conference at the U of I in Chicago. I was on stage accompanying a regoinal 4 stake choir and it was perhaps the only time I only saw his back on stage as he spoke.

However, it was a temple session in SLC with Sr. Hinckley that really impressed me. I knew then that she was the inspiration for his humility and service. She radiated an optimism and joy on a level that I had never experienced. It’s wonderful to acknowledge that they are together again . . .and having crossed the bounds of time they will progress forever.

May God bless Pres. Hinckley for his unwaivering faith and discipline in expanding the Lord’s work upon the face of the earth!

80. Glenn Franks says:

A note from a recent convert:

What I want to say to you is thank you. You made sure I attended the
    Conference presentations at the Stake Center before I was baptized.. You took
    me to Salt Lake. You made sure I saw GBH at the MTC concerts. You took me to
    the Sunday meeting at his Ward in the Memorial Building. You took me to the
    SLC Days of ’47 parade he led. You brought him into my life with your seeing
    to it that I understood how wonderful this very special man was. You made him
    a member of my family and made me a member of his [Church]family.

I am sure this isn’t a complete list, but it will do for now.

81. Clarification on #19: “I first met him in Okamachi, Japan, in April 2004, when he was touring our mission. He seemed bigger in person than he had on television at conference.” That was 1974, dad.

I remember the 1986 regional conference when he came to NY, even though I was only 7– what a day.

This morning I heard the news on NPR. What a shock– it hit me like a punch in the gut.

How I will miss him, but I am so glad for him and Marjorie to be together again.

82. When I was at EFY, we heard a sound clip from one of President Hinckley’s talks. In it, he expressed his love to the young people of the Church, and he became so overwhelmed with feeling that he actually began to weep. It was then that I trully appreciated how much he cared about me and the Young Women and Men of this church.

Does anyone know which talk to which I’m referring? I’ve been searching all over the web, but I can’t seem to find it.

83. #86. If you went to EFY in Rexburg, it is likely they showed you a clip from the dedication of the Hinckley building on the BYU-I campus. I believe it was in 2002 and it is exactly as you describe. Of course I’m sure that description fits many of his talks.

84. I went to EFY in Virginia, but I’ll definitely check that talk.

Thanks for your help:)

85. From a woman in my ward:

“All he wanted to do was serve. The Lord knew it. There is a lesson there.”

86. I wonder if Mark B. of comment 19 knows where I could get a copy of the talk the then Elder Hinckley gave at the 1986 Regional Conference in New York? It was very important talk for me, a catalyst that took my life in a different direction that I had been heading, and at this juncture I would like to be able to read it or hear it once more and reflect on the gift that President Hinckley gave to me at that time.I would be grateful to know where I could find it.