Sci-Fi Channel Chose The Inappropriate Venue For Political Commentary

Universal/Sci-Fi Channel fancies itself an expert commentator on such issues as 9/11, terrorism, and torture. Unfortunately, choosing the “Battlestar Galactica” brand name as a means of commenting on these issues is as ABSURD as choosing a game show to talk about the Vietnam War.

Universal Studios tries to cover up the fact that they don’t know a DAMN THING about “Battlestar Galactica”, by claiming “Battlestar Galactica” is whatever they claim it is. As I stated earlier, Universal Studios BACKED AWAY from reviving “Battlestar Galactica”, by having Ronald D. Moore THROW TOGETHER a “Star Trek” clone with contemporary political commentary thrown in for good measure. If Universal Studios wants to get into the business of political commentary, they were free to produce a series of documentaries for any of the news channels. If Universal Studios wants to throw in their two cents worth of ANTI-INTELLIGENCE on such issues as 9/11, terrorism, and prisoner torture; fine. But where is the logic behind sticking these issues under the umbrella of the “Battlestar Galactica” copyright? “Battlestar Galactica” is a 1978 television series that has contents Universal Studios STILL WON’T TOUCH with a 10 foot cattle prod. So, what was the point in them in ONLY USING the “Battlestar Galactica” title in Ronald (Dumb-ASS) Moore’s tv series? What was the point in them re-routing the “Battlestar Galactica” title as an umbrella for voicing their corporation’s thoughts on politics? Bill O’Reilly or Lou Dobbs would be more than happy to have a Universal Studios executive on their show talking about politics. Perhaps Universal Studios realizes that such a possibility would yield MORE RIDICULE from viewers than anything else, as Universal Studios executives ARE NOT KNOWN for being terribly intelligent in such matters. Kiss Cool Shocked Cry

Comments

1. Overdoing it much?

2. Oh Languatron — where have you been?? It’s about time someone let you guest post.

3. Happy Frakkin April Fool’s Day?

4. MikeInWeHo says:

Oh, THAT explains it. That’s frackin’ funny!! So who really is Lars Glenson?? gst?

And to think I fell for it this morning before work and actually wasted time making a comment.

5. The best April fool’s joke I’ve seen online today was on a music forum—someone said he ran into Kim Thayil at a bar and Soundgarden were reuniting and working on a new album.

Which is actually a pretty lame joke, so that tells you something.

This guy is one of my heroes.

6. You know, you assemble this much Languatron in one venue, and you’ve got either poetry (admittedly lame poetry, but poetry nonetheless) or performance art (and if it’s performance art, it’s pretty par for course, although getting Languatron in an anarchist cheerleader costume shouting rhyming anti-BSG screeds would really up Languatron’s performance artist cred).

7. I keep hearing this music…

Is it in my head? What does it mean?

8. Ronan I think it’s a pretty bad sign.

After all this time… a switch goes off, just like that.

10. Not only do I have to deal with spam in my inbox, now you guys are giving it to me in my RSS reader? Wouldn’t a funnier April Fool’s joke be to replace everything here with anti-Mormon literature and announce you’ve been purchased by a Southern group led by Mike Huckabee?

11. After much emotional anguish, Steve, the J.s and Kristine are going to have to kill you.

Unless they are hearing the music too. In which case, we’re all screwed.

amri, J. already wants to kill me.

13. Wow. I just read all the comments and then my browser played an audio clip of the BSG cylon-sleeper-agent music. That was positively amazing. Thanks for the laugh!

14. Dan, these are actual comments from Languatron culled from the archives from before you were commenting around the LDS blogs — perhaps that’s why you’re not laughing at the joke.

15. Here’s another good one: Bobby Fischer’s emails to Viktor Korchnoi and others from 1978 are revealed.

16. Doh! Ignore any previous comments on either of these threads today. I actually have been busy working, and had a lot to catch up on.

You got me, Glars Lenson.

17. Nice April Fool’s joke. I hate when I hear people say “frack” in public … makes me cringe. Just thought I’d throw that out there. I tend to hear it in malls walking by arcades or gaming stores.

18. Kiss Cool Shocked Cry

That says it all.

19. I usually hate the web April fool’s jokes. But this one was a classic. Especially for long time readers of the blogs.

(I’m still not sure if Languatron was an automated spam-bot or someone doing the pseudonym bit)

Clark, all of this was vintage Languatron.

21. The Languatron connection was something I didn’t get, although it makes sense from what I’ve heard.

I thought it was funny before I knew it was “based on a true story”. That takes it to genius status.

22. Eric Russell says:

And don’t miss Languatron: The Movie.

23. Nice April Fool’s joke. I hate when I hear people say “frack” in public … makes me cringe. Just thought I’d throw that out there. I tend to hear it in malls walking by arcades or gaming stores.

In my area of Utah it’s occasionally taking the place of ‘fetch’ by the youth. I can’t decide which is more annoying.

Eric, that’s brilliant.

25. No, I mean was the Languatron spammer actually a known blogger doing the parody. I recognized the posts right off. (I actually think I have some saved somewhere on my hard drive from years ago)

Clark, only the most elite of us may know the true name of Languatron.

27. StillConfused says:

I realize this is April Fools and all but are a ton of messages from Mr. Glenson really necessary? Oh crap — I am a party pooper.

28. #27 – This is when I wish I had stolen kevinf’s decoder ring.

29. Eric Russell says:

Clark, my theory is yes. I don’t think the real Languatron ever commented on the bloggernacle. I believe that a participant of the bloggernacle copied and pasted his comments from message boards into random ‘nacle threads because he thought it was funny. The qualifications for such a person? He would have to be nerdy enough to have actually frequented Battlestar Gallactica message boards and strange enough that he would take pleasure at spamming them into bloggernacle threads. Given these clues, I’m not absolutely certain who it is, but I’m pretty sure it’s [Edited].

30. MikeInWeHo says:

Oh come on, WHO IS IT ????

All right, all right — in case it wasn’t already painfully obvious, it’s [Edited].

32. Time to hire a hacker.

33. It’s the final Cylon of the final 5.

I think it’s Adama.

34. #34

And now that you’ve shared the Truth, you must be assimilated.
    Oh, wait. That was another SciFi Masterpiece, ST:TNG…..

Waiting to be beamed aboard

Ensign Sam

35. Haha, I agree with #10…that would have made for a much funnier joke

36. What would REALLY have been hilarious, Stan, would be to start up a scarcely-legal but surely unethical pyramid marketing get-rich-quick scheme, and hawk it incessantly.

37. Oh, c’mon Steve; you’re telling me that I shouldn’t use Stan’s information to get rich quickly without any work, disregarding legal, ethical, and interpersonal issues? I mean, he’s promising me SIX FIGURES, for goodness sake. Imagine the website I could build to promote that idea if I made six figures (and the whole thing didn’t collapse on me first and it turned out to be legal and I didn’t alienate every friend and family member I had, etc.)!!!