Saturday Afternoon General Conference – Open Thread

I guess not that many surprises after all from this morning. Well, there’s still the afternoon! Congrats to you clairvoyeurs who foresaw correctly the new apostle.

Comments

1. Elder Oaks’ talk sounds like it will be very interesting.

2. Aaron Brown says:

I missed a bit of what Oaks was just saying, but he quoted D&C 46, and suggested that it is for some to “know” and for others to merely “believe.” Did he speak to how this jives with the allegedly universal application of Moroni’s promise? Just wondering, as I missed it.

AB

3. I love Oaks.

4. Eric Russell says:

Amen, J. Stapley. I also like Maples.

Oaks talk sounds like the first that was specifically directed at criticisms of the church that have become publicized over the last six months. I’m curious as to what extent the conference as a whole will be apologetic in nature this time.

5. what are the specific criticisms of the last six months? (for those of us outside the mountain west who aren’t up to speed)

6. Elder Hales speaks through a gentle smile. His tone and countenance speak of the joy to be had in the gospel. I so appreciate a speaker who smiles when speaking of joyful things.
    Jeremy, one of the criticisms has been that our emphasis on the one true church is arrogant, even unloving toward the rest of mankind. A theme of God’s love for all, of a need for humanitarianism and some discussion of what and how one knows seem right on point.

7. that’s nothing new in the last six months though right? I was just wondering if there was some new controversy around the utah area that would prompt a new response…

maybe the new mall?

8. Eric Russell says:

Jeremy, I’m not speaking to anything specific so much as the hundreds of articles that have been written about the church in the last half year as a part of the coverage Mitt Romney’s candidacy. I imagine we will hear more than one talk on the Christianity of Mormonism, and I think a talk on race is more likely this conference than ever before.

9. NoCoolName_Tom says:

10. What’s new is Romney campaign hard evidence, both in the vote and in the polls, as well as press commentary soft evidence, that anti-Mormon sentiment is far deeper and broader than many in the church and out had supposed. I think new emphases in response are wise.

11. Man, just Elder Scott’s demeanor, and the love he exudes, are testimony to me of the love of the Savior.

That was amazing.

12. I don’t mean to threadjack, but the topic came up at our house at to whether the idea of presidencies and counselors has any application in the Primitive Church; was there really as First Presidency in the Primitive Church, or was Peter the President of the Quorum of the Twelve (kinda like Brigham Young before he was called to be President of the Church)?

That’s what John Taylor, Bruce R. McConkie, and Joseph Fielding Smith evidently believed (e.g., NT Institute manual, p. 103). Richard L. Anderson has written: “Peter, James, and John were the key leaders in the New Testament Church and to that extent functioned as a First Presidency. Whether these Apostles regularly met apart from the rest is not known, but their authority is evident from the Bible and early Christian writings.”

13. President Monson is not speaking in either of the two sessions today. That is a distinct deviation from the Hinckley pattern.

14. NoCoolName_Tom says:

Justin,
    Thanks for the info. :-)

15. Mahonri Moriancumr says:

Looking forward to Priesthood meeting this evening and talks by the entire First Presidency.

16. Does anyone else have kids coloring in one of those Gen Conf packets that got emailed around–and with the tie template, notice that Pres Uchtdorf changed ties between sessions? From blue/white diagonal to grey/black diagonal. Messy lunch or a way to differentiate between sessions later on video?

17. sostinkinhappy says:

Yes – my boys were coloring the ties as well and noticed the same thing!

18. Maybe Elder Uchtdorf got them as gifts from his grandkids who wanted to seem him wearh them in conference.
    I dunno. just a guess.