Your Friday Firestorm #49

Moreover the Lord saith, Because the daughters of Zion are haughty, and walk with stretched forth necks and wanton eyes, walking and mincing as they go, and making a tinkling with their feet: Therefore the Lord will smite with a scab the crown of the head of the daughters of Zion, and the Lord will discover their secret parts.

In that day the Lord will take away the bravery of their tinkling ornaments about their feet, and their cauls, and their round tires like the moon, The chains, and the bracelets, and the mufflers, The bonnets, and the ornaments of the legs, and the headbands, and the tablets, and the earrings, The rings, and nose jewels, The changeable suits of apparel, and the mantles, and the wimples, and the crisping pins, The glasses, and the fine linen, and the hoods, and the vails.

(Isaiah 3:16-24)

Discuss.

Comments

1. BTD Greg says:

It’s the changeable suits of apparel that I find most offensive.

2. sister blah 2 says:

Baldness and burning? Ouch! Good thing that, like idolatry, this passage is largely irrelevant to today’s church members.

3. And in that day, if that’s what’s available, the sons of Zion will decide that scabbed crowns are beautiful and compete with each other to win the daughter in the hottest sackcloth.

Someone’s ticked off that Sex in the City is opening today…

5. Mark IV says:

Wouldn’t most people, not only women, regard it as a blessing if the Lord took away their “round tires like the moon”?

6. You know what this means —

Now Julie is going to have to start a series of posts at T&S explaining this passage, and ultimately the rest of Isaiah, to all of us. You should have given her a chance to finish her Revelations series before you brought this next project up.

This was always one of my favorite passages to teach in SS due to all of the weird KJV archaisms.

8. KJV archaisms

Apostate.

9. StillConfused says:

The origins of dandruff …. anklets.

10. sister blah 2 says:

I think the BYU Honor Code section on grooming and clothing would be so much awesomer if it ended with these words, “The Honor Code Office, in consultation with the involved academic personnel, including the Associate Academic Vice President-Undergraduate Studies, may determine to place a student on probation or to recommend suspension or dismissal from the university or instead of sweet smell there shall be stink; and instead of a girdle a rent; and instead of well set hair baldness; and instead of a stomacher a girding of sackcloth; and burning instead of beauty, for academic dishonesty and other forms of misconduct.”

11. Mark B. says:

What a tragedy. The beautiful daughters of Zion, having turned from the Lord, are smitten.

But the promise of redemption comes in the next chapter, when “the Lord washed away the filth of the daughters of Zion, and shall have purged the blood of Jerusalem from the midst thereof by the spirit of judgment, and by the spirit of burning” and then shall the branch of the Lord be beautiful and glorious.”

It were well that we ignored the chapter divisions and remembered that the great overarching message of the scriptures is God’s redemption of His children. [And, that we revived the subjunctive mood.]

[And, for that matter, that we went back to wimples and crisping pins. "Line up ladies, we're passing out crisping pins in aisle 6."]

12. I was once told that this was a prophecy concerning certain sister missionaries having to ride bikes.

“Moreover the Lord saith, Because the daughters of Zion are haughty, and walk with stretched forth necks and wanton eyes, walking and mincing as they go, and making a tinkling with their feet Therefore the Lord will smite with a scab the crown of the head of the daughters of Zion, and the Lord will discover their secret parts….And it shall come to pass, that instead of sweet smell there shall be stink; and instead of a girdle a rent; and instead of well set hair baldness; and instead of a stomacher a girding of sackcloth; and burning instead of beauty.”

Just forget about the middle part.

13. Er…except don’t forget the part about chains and round tires…that’s necessary context, of course. :)

14. Peter LLC says:

So, like, are you saying that Bowie is a daughter of Zion? ‘Cause if you are, dude, I’m offended.

Peter LLC, if there are no Spiders From Mars in heaven, then I don’t wanna go!

16. Last Lemming says:

You stopped too soon. You have to go at least through chapter 4, verse 1:

And in that day seven women shall take hold of one man, saying, We will eat our own bread, and wear our own apparel: only let us be called by thy name, to take away our reproach.

17. I’m glad I’m low maintenance.

18. seabass says:

At least two YM/YW leaders and 1 seminary teacher taught this scripture as a “signs of the times” thing. Of course, these teachers had just survived the 80s–lots of headbands.

Last Lemming, that situation already exists. They’re called LDS singles wards.

20. “And the Lord will discover their secret parts.”

Isn’t there a scripture about He that dwells in the secret place of the most high? I’m beginning to wonder.

#3: “To me, she doth not stink!”

21. MikeInWeHo says:

This is the first one of these fire storms where I needed to switch to a newer translation to make any sense of it.

22. #18,

Yes, I remember those heady days of the 80’s, the girls’ crisping-pins and round tires like the moon glistening in the mirror-ball light as we danced to “You Spin me Round” by Dead or Alive at church dances….those were the days.

23. Mark B. says:

Ah, discovering their secret parts! Such a shock when I learned that KVJ “discover” meant “uncover” in today’s English.

24. seabass says:

#22 MattG, in my ignorance I too was caught up in the sensual, hedonistic beats of those 80s tunes (calculated to drive the kids to fornication, mind you), until loving teachers instilled a millenial fervor in me. Now that I look back on the 80s, I think we were only a few wimples away from Armageddon.

25. #23 – My mother still won’t believe that. I’ve given up trying to convince her.

I love to read this passage with my daughters. It’s just fun to liken this unto us and make fun of what they see in the hallways at school. I only wish it were limited to what we read here. The Lord doesn’t need to uncover secret parts in the schools; the girls do that all on their own.

26. Mark B. says:

Don’t feel bad, Ray. I tried and failed to convince a Sunday school teacher of this nearly 30 years ago–and she ended up with a PhD in history.

27. Mike,

Note that NIV conveniently omitted the “secret parts” passage. It loses all the drama!

28. That’s why I use the KJV version. It includes the secret parts.

29. This seems (to my untrained eye) like classic covenant curse language. Everything good is turned to bad. Leviticus 26 type stuff. Isaiah seems to be huge on framing everything in terms of covenant curses for wickedness followed by curse reversal for repentance/righteousness.

BTW “KJV version” is redundant

30. MikeInWeHo says:

re: 27
    Actually, the NIV changes it from “discover their secret parts” to “make their scalps bald.” Talk about a cold shower.

Any scholars here able to explain why the NIV translaters made that change?

31. snow white says:

So I hope I’m not the only one to read “STDs” into all this. Of course, I’m not sure about the baldness….

32. Another archaism: glasses = transparent clothing. Scandalous.

33. #29 – Can’t believe I actually typed KJV version. Wow.

34. Mike, I don’t get it either, unless different people translated that passage and the Song of Solomon.

Nos. 27, 30:

For an explanation of the different approaches to this wording in Hebrew (some take it as genitals, others as forehead), see pp. 371-72 of my article Isaiah Interwoven.

36. MikeInWeHo says:

Thanks for that, Kevin. Very interesting. So you’d vote for the secret parts, eh? :)

Yeah, I would.

38. Grr. Bowdlerizing NIV (though granted, they have a legitimate Hebrew ambiguity. HALOT, the current best Hebrew lexicon, also votes for forehead.) The 1985 Jewish Publication Society and NET Bible also translate this way.

FPR has been thinking of doing a post about explicit language in the Bible for some time. Maybe this will prove the catalyst.

39. awful text

40. I think one important part of those verses is the WHY the Lord is doing that to the daughters of Zion.
    1)They are haughty (pride)
    2)They have wanton eyes (watching inappropriate things, desiring inappropriate things)
    3)They mince and tinkle (They are not genuine and sincere, but embrace affectation and putting on a show)

Yes, and all that jewelry makes them high-maintenance women!