I have been asked to teach EQ in my ward tomorrow as a pinch hitter. I’ve been asked to teach from Elder Godoy’s talk on the Process of Testimony. The talk primarily argues that testimonies can be valid even if they are not associated with a single, marvelous spiritual experience.
I am interested in what topics interest people in this broad set of themes.
Some possible questions include
1) what is the difference between process and path as a metaphor for testimony?
2) to what extent does testimony reflect a declaration of identity and community? to what extent does testimony reflect an exercise of will?
3) to what extent is testimony an assertion of our commitment and to what extent does it reflect the church’s commitment to us?
4) what does it mean for us to have “testimony” in place of the experience of regenerating grace familiar from sectors of evangelicalism? what does it mean to separate “testimony” from salvation (they are crucially merged for many evangelicals)?
5) how contagious are testimonies? how contagious should they be?
What are some of the other avenues to discussion of this topic that people find productive and inspirational?