Chocolate Frosted Sugar Bombs of Death

Heather O continues to regale us with wondrous guest post tales.

We have an ongoing conflict at my house. It revolves around breakfast.

My husband is a man of healthy habits, more or less, except for the huge amounts of Diet Coke he imbibes each day. It’s a habit left over from his law school days where Diet Coke and Mountain Dew kept him alive. I know, I know, it’s appalling. If one is going to drink that much caffeine in one day, at least make sure it’s Dr. Pepper. Just because caffeinated soda has the same affect on your stomach as battery acid doesn’t mean it has to taste like it.

(Okay, yes, we might have the teeniest bit of conflict over caffeine and soda, too, but, as Eleanor of Aquitane says, every family has its ups and downs….)

But for breakfast, DH likes to keep it simple. Some toast with honey, a glass of juice, and a grapefruit. He says eating a grapefruit every morning makes him feel healthy, full of vim and vigor, more manly, perhaps. (I think it’s the part where he sections out every section of the grapefruit with a tiny paring knife that is the manly part.)

Me, I prefer cereal. Sugar cereal. Or, as my husband lovingly refers to it, Chocolate Sugar Bombs of Death.

The original term “Chocolate Sugar Bombs” belongs to Bill Watterston, creator of the comic strip “Calvin and Hobbes”. DH just added the death part for extra effect.

Calvin has it right.   Nate has it wrong.

Calvin has it right. Nate has it wrong.

What can I say, I think it harps back to childhood memories of my mother coming home from the store with the coveted box of Captain Crunch cereal in the bag. My 5 brothers and sisters and I would grab for the box, fight for the toy inside, and pour ourselves some before it was all gone. A box of Captain Crunch doesn’t go very far in a household of 8, and we were soon forced to go back to spooning sugar on our Wheaties to get our sugar buzz.

So when I see gleaming boxes of Apple Jacks and Frosted Flakes (all close to free if you hit it right with sales and coupons), I find it hard to resist. I try to avoid the blatently hydrogenated cereals, which eliminates the favorite Captain Crunch, Raisen Bran Crunch (surprising, isn’t it?) and Fruity Pebbles (which, if you leave it soaking long enough, will turn your milk an appetizing shade of chartruse). But that leaves Apple Jacks, Frosted Flakes, Froot Loops, Honey Nut Cheerios, and Cinnamon Toast Crunch fair game for my pantry, all for a pittance. And I gather them all, like a chicken gathering her hens. Or, something like that, if hens came in flakes baked in sugar.

So I’m curious. Does anybody else have a mildly dysfunctional relationship with sugar cereal? (Although, now I think about it, I don’t know what a functional relationship with cereal would be.) Does sugar cereal represent something about childhood, or am I the only one here? And does anybody else think grapefruit is manly?

What does breakfast look like in your house? Some reporter asked that of Brad and Angelina once, actually. Right there on the red carpet, they started talking about Cheerios. It was the most normal thing I’d ever heard Angelina Jolie say.

Comments

1. There is absolutely NOTHING manly about grapefruit.

As for cereal: Count Chocula is the best!!

2. MikeInWeHo says:

Weekday Breakfast Chez MikeInWeHo:

1 cup English Breakfast tea with soy milk and Splenda.
    1 banana
    1 Atkins shake, preferably strawberry (it tastes just like strawberry Quick from my childhood)

In grad school I used to eat Frosted Flakes and sprinkle a little extra Equal on top of them. How disgusting is that?

Ugh, I can’t stand grapefruit, except in bottles of Squirt.

I’m pretty much with you on cereal. I’ve toned it down a little bit over the years, though. I used to eat Cinammon Toast Crunch and Fruity Pebbles and things like that. Now I usually have Frosted Miniwheats, Cracklin’ Oat Bran or some sort of granola type cereal. It still has sugar, but it seems a little more adult. And I use skim milk these days.

But between your breakfast and Nate’s, I’d much rather have yours. Breakfast of champions, indeed.

Oooh, I used to love Strawberry Quick, too!

And I forgot to mention that when I was a boy, there wasn’t much in the way of sweetened cereals, so we had a sugar bowl and would put spoonfuls of sugar on the unsweetened stuff.

5. I used to eat cereal every day as a kid, but I didn’t really like the sugary cereals that much. I ate Crispix or Cheerios, mostly. Now that I’m living on my own, I don’t eat cereal that much, mainly because of cost. The cereal itself is fine, but the milk is expensive. I don’t really drink much milk, so when I buy it for cereal, it goes bad before I finish it off, and I hate wasting food.

My breakfast usually consists of a packet of instant oatmeal, since we have them for free in the break room at work. Otherwise, I’ll make my version of a McMuffin, which consists of a scrambled egg, a slice of cheese, and a tomato on either an English muffin or a bagel. It’s quick, easy, cheap, and portable.

6. Weekdays: Nature Path’s Pumpkin Flax Cereal—way tastier than it sounds. And I eat it at work.

As for Angelina Jolie doing something normal, did she mention the part about eating her Cheerios out of a polished goat skull?

7. I’ve eaten cold cereal for breakfast my whole life. This makes my husband sad, because his mom always made hot breakfasts for the family, and I don’t, because I like my cold cereal. (Also, he’s perfectly capable of cooking if he wants something hot for breakfast, but somehow it turns out not to be worth the effort if _he’s_ the one who has to do the cooking. Except when he makes the kids waffles on Sunday morning. He says he wants to make sure they know one of their parents loves them. I’m cool with that.)

My favorite cold cereals are Rice Chex, Crispix, Wheaties, Honey Nut Cheerios, Kix and granola. I go in cycles with these (as in, I’ll eat Crispix every morning for 3 months, then move on and eat Wheaties every morning for 4 months, etc.). I do get an occasional box of Fruity Pebbles when I want a sugar fix (and yes, the milk turns quite an interesting color).

I’ve been struggling the past week because I’m trying a gluten-free diet and trying to limit my dairy intake, and this makes breakfast really hard. Gorilla Munch with rice milk is okay, but just not the same. Also, the only cereal I normally eat that’s gluten-free is Rice Chex, but I only like Rice Chex when it’s thoroughly soaked in milk (yes, it’s only good soggy), so that doesn’t work well. I bought some gluten-free honey nut Os and apple cinnamon Os at the store today, so I’m hoping those will help.

8. My wife does not believe the claims made by Total cereal.

9. BrianJ said:
    Nature Path’s Pumpkin Flax Cereal

I just discovered that recently, and it’s really good. (Of course, it’s not gluten free, so I also gave it up recently.) I have to be careful how much I eat, though, because 15g of fiber in one morning is apparently way more than my body needs.

10. I stopped reading when you said I couldn’t eat Cap’n Crunch anymore.

Shame on you.

11. I’m a big fan of pancakes, scones (the English kind, but with recipes developed by the French, i.e., tons of butter in each one), and waffles. Or, when we’re not up for cooking, we grab bagels or eat cereal from Trader Joe’s.

As for cereal, my wife grew up on sugary cereals and I didn’t. But as long as I’m willing to make pancakes, waffles, or scones, there’s no conflict in our house.

12. “Also, the only cereal I normally eat that’s gluten-free is Rice Chex, but I only like Rice Chex when it’s thoroughly soaked in milk (yes, it’s only good soggy)”

Ewwwwwww. My husband lets his cereal sit there and get soggy and it makes sick. I have to eat very small servings so that none of it ever gets soggy because if it does, I throw it out. I love frosted mini-wheats. And I do think eating grapefruit is manly because it is sour. I hate sour.

13. iguacufalls says:

Golden Grahams were the treat cereal in our home growing up. The one cereal we NEVER got was Lucky Charms. So what do I stock up on when it’s on sale? Quick! Grab the Leprechaun!

Oh, and having spent much of my Cub Scout years in Heather’s childhood home, I can vouch that I never saw a full box of sweetened cereal in the house!

14. Vada, for a gluten free/milk free breakfast sugar fix, try Gorrilla Munch with vanilla soy milk or vanilla Rice Dream. Yummy.

For a not-so-sweet gf breakfast, I like Perky’s Nutty Rice with regular Rice Dream. But usually I just have a smoothy for breakfast–1 cup Rice Dream, 1 ripe banana, 1 cup frozen blueberries.

Jen, my husband also likes his cereal soggy. He pours the milk on it and then goes out to get the newspaper. Very, very yucky.

15. iguacufalls says:

But what REALLY makes me happy (and fat) are cinnamon rolls. I found a Cinnabon copycat recipe that I will never, ever, throw away. And yes, cinnamon rolls are manly, too.

16. I was raised on Trix cereal. This most likely explains why I’m now diabetic.

I still eat cereal for breakfast every morning. Special K w/Fruit & Yogurt.

17. Grapefruit is the best thing in the whole world. I would roll in grapefruits if I could.

I don’t do cereal. At all. Can’t do milk, and cereal without milk is just… to odd for me. Strangely, my kids don’t really do cereal either.

I heart Bill Waterson.

18. Heather: you have such a fun writing style! You should consider bundling up your ideas and writing a book. Perhaps like this one, by one of my favoritest people:

Froot Loops have always been my choice – with milk or in a sandwich bag on the go. Now, though, thanks to the threat of the big D, I eat Quaker Oatmeal squares.

19. Mark Brown says:

I spent some time with some deacons and teachers over the weekend and overheard a very long and serious conversation. They had come up with what they thought was an ingenious business plan which will make them all millionaires overnight. They want to make and sell different flavors of milk, and the flavors and colors all come from the way the milk tastes and looks after various brands of sugared cereal have been allowed to soak. There would be Cinnamon Toast Crunch milk, Fruity Pebbles milk, Captain Crunchberry milk, Count Chocula milk, etc.

20. If you take statin drugs for high cholestrol, you can’t eat grapefruit.

Actually, my wife and I buy a 25# bag of Uncle Bob’s Rough Cut Oatmeal, which requires that you cook it for ten minutes minimum, sprinkle in a teaspoon or so of chocolate chips, and then bury it all in brown sugar. We eat that at least 3 or 4 times a week. For cold cereal, I go for Frosted Mini Wheats, my wife for Red Berry Special K, and my kids for Chocolate Chex, Capn’ Crunch, or Count Chocula. And they are all mostly adults now.

21. All of this cereal talks brings music to my ears. Perhaps a few of you will know the tunes:

“Cream of Wheat is so good to eat that we have it every day;
    We sing this song; it will make us strong, and it makes us shout HOORAY!
    It’s good for growing children and grown-ups too to eat; For all your family’s breakfast, you can beat Cream of Wheat!”

“Have you tried Wheaties? The best breakfast food in the land!”

“Shredded Ralston for your breakfast; it’s the best for you and me.
    It’s delicious and nutritious, full of pep and energy.
    Take a tip from Tom [Mix]; go and tell your Mom:
    Shredded Ralston can’t be beat!”

“Hi-Ho, Cheerios! Away!”

But if you’re serious about good breakfasts, I seriously suggest Bob’s Red Mill Scottish Oatmeal. Forget all the glue you’ve tasted under the alias of oatmeal. Real stone ground oatmeal, properly cooked, is marvelous stuff,
    more delicious than you can imagine, (with or without a little honey or sugar), and it’s actually protection against the threat of what FHL calls the Big D.

Bon appetit!

22. A few years ago they had one called French Toast Crunch. It looked like little pieces of bread and it tasted just like french toast. It was the best! But then one day they changed the recipe and made it look more like it’s brother Cinnemon Toast Crunch and it was all powdery and gross.

I wrote them a strongly worded letter letting them know what I thought of their little bait and switch. And they took it away all together.

Now I eat Grapenuts. But the other day I ran out of Grapenuts, so I just went and got some gravel from from off of the street. I barely noticed a difference.

23. Elouise, excellent advice. I also recommend McCann’s Irish Steel-Cut Oats.

24. Cornmeal! It’s pretty as well as tasty, and only gets prettier and tastier with butter and/or brown sugar.

25. 24 – EVERYTHING gets tastier with butter and/or brown sugar.

26. Grits should never be eaten with sugar. It is an abomination perpetuated by yankee interlopers. Grits should be eaten with butter, salt, and pepper. Also, eggs and bacon.

27. A funny story from the past…

My father-in-law’s family had 12 children and the family was distinctly not well off. Their father, the stake president, would pray long over the morning breakfast while the pitcher of milk with the cream separated on top sat next to him.

When he finished the prayer he would pour the milk with the cream over his hot bowl of cereal and pass the pitcher down the table to his wife and children.

The oldest boys caught on and during the long prayer, where everything would be remembered and blessed, would stir the milk so that, at least, the children would get some of the cream.

The uncle who told this story, who passed away some 20 years ago, remarked that as a child he could have used the cream, but now as an old man, knew it was bad for him. His luck, never to get the cream. Lucky me, I take lipitor and manage to have cream every now and again. Science marches on!

28. John C, I’ll agree with you on this part of your # 26:

“Grits should never be eaten…”

After that, I kinda lost you.

29. My breakfast regimen is always changing. Some morning I have cereal (all kinds), some mornings I make eggs (of all varieties), sometimes it consists of nothing more than a muffin that I grab on the way out the door, and still other mornings it is a long, complex meal of tastiness.

But getting to the point of cereal, I believe that some adults eat sugary cereals as a form of post-adolescent rebellion. Growing up, we were subjected to a wide variety of cereals, and so having sugary cereals has never been a big deal for me.

For my wife, though, it is a different story. She’ll eat Cinnamon Toast Crunch by the boxful. She says that this is due to the fact that her mum never let her and her siblings have sugary cereals as children, except on special occasions (i.e. birthdays). So I guess the passion for chocolate frosted sugar bombs of death (I’d prefer to call them CFSBs of DOOM) is rooted in a childhood deprivation.

30. I don’t like sugar cereals. My parents rarely bought them–I think because they were more expensive, not because they were unhealthy–and as an adult, the sweetest cereal I can stomach is Frosted Mini-Wheats. I still prefer regular old Shredded Wheat. I do not put sugar on it.

I do like oatmeal with butter and brown sugar. But I like a lot of sweet things. I just don’t like sugary cold cereal.

I despise grapefruit. It is just like a man to enjoy it.

31. I love cold cereal. When I can’t eat it, I feel sad.

On the other hand, all in my house love Zooom!

There’s another hot cereal from BC that I can’t recall, but it’s awesome.

32. I’ll agree with part of John C’s #26, too — almost every kind of breakfast is improved with bacon and eggs.

There used to be something called Fortified Oat Flakes that I liked a lot. Any other kind of dry cereal, not so much. This is a category I would not do well with on Jeopardy!.

33. And by the way, would someone please quote a few scriptures so that this discussion becomes kosher?

34. Sugar cereals were forbidden in my childhood, so now I have an unhealthy relationship with them as a grownup. Lucky Charms are my favorite. I just love them beyond all reason.

35. Mark Brown says:

Ardis (33),

The Old Testament tells us that the children of Israel were led to a land flowing with milk and honey nut Cheerios.

36. One time I went to a buffet in Las Vegas and I got what I assumed were grits. After I added salt, pepper, bacon, and eggs, imagine my dismay to learn that it was cream of wheat.

37. Mark Brown says:

Once in Tuscaloosa I got what I assumed was cream of wheat. After I added milk and sugar, imagine my dismay to learn that it was hominy grits.

38. Grits should never dismay. They should embolden and encourage the heart. They are like a ray of sunshine in an otherwise drab breakfast world. All the rest of the world is shabbier for their lack.

39. Mark Brown says:

John, have you ever had grits with biscuits and gravy? Not bad….

40. Ardis, we could definitely talk about cereal in terms of food storage. A friend of mine actively stock piles cold cereal (which, like I said, can be close to free with coupons and sales) for her 3 month supply, because she knows her kids will eat it.

There. This post has now been made kosher.

41. Left Field says:

Cereal isn’t breakfast. Cereal is what you eat instead of breakfast when you don’t have time to cook a proper breakfast of pancakes, waffles, coffee cake, French toast, egg burritos, or the like. With sausage or bacon. Grapefruit if I can get it.

I can get by without much of a lunch. I can manage with a small supper. But if I don’t get a good breakfast, I’m susceptible to getting very sick. If I have cereal instead of breakfast, I’m starving by 10:00 and could be sick by noon. When I do eat cereal, it’s usually shredded wheat.

42. Left field-

There’s no question that as a food group, cereal is questionable at best.

43. For those of you who can’t do milk on your cereal, have you tried almond milk? It’s milder tasting than soy milk and doesn’t have the funny texture of rice milk. When I do splurge on cereal, sometimes I use almond milk instead of dairy milk. (It keeps longer in the fridge.)

44. Ardis is right we need to be using the scriptures. Here Ezekiel prophesies of HoneyComb Cereal:

9 And when I looked, behold the four wheels by the cherubims, one wheel by one cherub, and another wheel by another cherub: and the appearance of the wheels was as the colour of a beryl stone. Ezek 10:9

this is reinforced in Proverbs 16:21,24 where we learn that sugar cereals are an essential beginning to our children’s day of education and the cereal is mentioned by brand name.

21 The wise in heart shall be called aprudent: and the sweetness of the lips increaseth learning.

24 Pleasant words are as an honeycomb, sweet to the soul, and health to the bones.

The question is can you be a good Latter-day Saint if you are not eating this cereal. I for one take the scriptures literally.

45. Breakfast is not a meal I enjoy at all. One piece of toast and maybe orange juice is enough. I don’t like any of the breakfast items everybody else likes. I don’t even like the smell of pancakes. I know…I’m boring.

46. esodhiambo says:

Breakfast is my favorite meal; I eat it all. Love grapefruit. Love cocoa krispies. Love it all.

47. After Matt Page’s comment (#25–“Everything’s tastier with
    butter. . . “), I cannot resist adding this story. I had it firsthand from the boy involved, some 45 years after the fact.

Karl Young, BYU professor of English and an Oxford scholar, was a farm boy by birth and, as a young man, worked as a hired hand for the most tight-fisted farmer in the county.
    His hired hands ate breakfast every morning at his table, and it was always the same. Pancakes. Period. They could have all the pancakes they wanted, but there was never anything to put on them–no syrup, molasses, butter or bacon grease (the latter being my grandfather’s choice of toppings for flapjacks. Gramps lived to be 89, btw.)
    There was never any other food offered–just pancakes. Farmer Jack himself , in addition to his hotcakes, consumed huge cups of coffee, lightened with quantities of cream fresh from his cows, but his Mormon workers did not indulge.

One morning, Karl had had enough–or rather, had not had enough. He grabbed the cream pitcher and doused his short stack with it, adding sugar as he poured. The results were surprisingly gratifying. But the astounded farmer was steaming:

“Well, I’ll be go to heck! Even a bale of hay ain’t all that bad if you put enough cream on it, Sonny!”

48. Jessie T. says:

Right now we have about 15 partially eaten boxes of sugar cereal that my husband supposedly eats. Some of those boxes have been in there for almost a year.

We also have 4 boxes of “Mommy’s Healthy Cereal” that the kids and I eat: currently Cheerios, Mini Wheats, Oatmeal Squares and Raisin Bran. My cereal seems to disappear much quicker and lately I found out that’s because my sugar-loving husband thinks he’s being healthy by eating my cereal and spooning loads of sugar all over it. Gross.

On a related note…he has lost 10 pounds already this year…

49. My user name on ebay is “Sugaredcereal1″…no joke. That pretty much explains my relationship with all things cereal.

Breakfast is my favorite meal…I will often have breakfast foods for every meal in the day.

50. I’m a huge fan of sugared cereals (for my kids- I can’t stand most cereal). Maybe this is because, like Heather O, my childhood breakfasts consisted primarily of Rice Crispies, Wheaties, and (plain) Cheerios- and I refuse to similarly deprive my children. Or maybe it’s because (again, like Heather O) I can generally purchase these cereals for next to nothing, and get free movie tickets besides (Albertson’s this week!). But I’ve got to admit, there is a part of me that wonders if I’m going to hell for feeding my children this crap. I think this also stems from my childhood. Today my good friend commented on how seriously I (still) take my mother’s opinion about everything. I tried to explain to her that, in my mind (get ready for some mind-boggling logic here), because my parents managed to raise 6 children who have all become (relatively) responsible, happy, productive adults, they represent the pinnacle of parenting greatness to which I aspire. This means that I should do things the way they did, because that is clearly the RIGHT way. Ergo, because I feed my children cocoa puffs and they did not, I am probably going to hell. And my children are probably coming with me. Twisted? Yes. Blame it on my parents.

51. Tell Nate his breakfast sounds like an anorexic’s. Still manly??

Breakfast at my sister’s house consists of Cheetos and Mtn. Dew, or sugar cereal out the ears.

Our house is frequented by regular Cheerios (no honey nut!!), Life, and granola w/vanilla yogurt. Sometimes we have cinnamon waffles and gogurts. Syrup is not allowed because then there would be a mess to clean up! On occasion we have Craptain Crunch, and generic Lucky Charms. Or Sugar Smacks. Apple Jacks. Fruity Cheerios. Frosted Flakes GOLD (because if it’s honey it’s better for you, right???). Sometimes we have burnt chocolate chips in the pancakes, sometimes smoothies and toast, sometimes gogurt and cereal.

I’m the last one to wake up (BWAHAHAHAHAHAAA!!) so it’s mostly fend for yourself!

Never eggs. The smell of them cooking is just…. wrong. Eating = good. Smelling = therapy.

52. In the MTC, I ate a bowl of Marshmallow Mateys with every meal for a month. Then I switched to Raisin Bran for the second month. I can still eat Kellogg’s Raisin Bran every meal of every day.

My favorite breakfast now, though, is Swiss Oatmeal. I mix 1C raw oatmeal, 1/2 of a serving of plain yogurt, 1/2C milk, 1T sugar, and chopped fruit (I like green apple, craisins, bananas, and currants). Leave in fridge overnight, then mix in the other 1/2 of the yogurt and eat cold.

53. dangermom says:

My kids like oatmeal and Frosted Mini-Wheats. I have become addicted to kasha! Which is buckwheat groats that you cook in milk. I put on craisins and walnuts and honey, and it is quite yummy. I’ve started craving kasha in the morning and I’m sad if I don’t have time to cook it! I cook two bowls at once, so I save one for the next day.

On Saturdays we make waffles or french toast or something, but I still love kasha best.

54. I’m afraid my body doesn’t do sugar. So breakfast is oats (I prefer when they’ve been soaked overnight) and peanut butter and apples and honey.

baked french toast is yummy

puffy pancakes are quick and fun

I enjoyed the column

55. I can’t believe no one has mentioned Honey Bunches of Oats. It’s my favorite. My husband makes us hot breakfasts almost every weekend because I am totally content with my cold cereal. And in my house grapefruit is not manly, my husband won’t touch it.

56. Minor note re: coke and acid. The stomach can do a fine job of mimicking battery acid even if you drink water or milk. That’s sort of what it’s for.

57. Fairchild says:

I eat oatmeal and grapefruit in the winter and frosted mini wheats and orange juice in the summer, mostly. I like to eat sugar cereal as a dessert/late snack before I go to bed. Lucky Charms is my favorite. I don’t let my kids eat sugar cereal on school days because it does not last them until lunch. I prefer they eat real food in the morning. I don’t mind if they eat it as an after school snack though.

58. My husband and I both grew up in houses raised by extreme nutrition nuts who spent most of the 70s reading Diet for a Small Planet. For me, that means that I still don’t like very sugary stuff for breakfast and prefer things like oatmeal or cream of wheat. If I’m eating cold cereal it has to be something like Shredded Wheat or Grape Nuts. With honey on them; in my house we were allowed to put honey on our cereal but not sugar (since honey is so much more virtuous).

My husband, on the other hand, celebrates his adulthood by eating sugar cereal as much as he can. For years I was able to keep it out of our kitchen and just buy the healthy stuff, but then he figured out that the sugary stuff is usually cheaper and so we often end up with it now. My kids love Lucky Charms and ask for it often. But we’ve compromised and I figure a little moderation in sweets is better than creating food issues in the future. We don’t drink soda, rarely buy snack foods like chips, and eat vegetarian, so I guess a bowl of Lucky Charms in the morning is probably OK. I still won’t eat it at breakfast because it makes me feel sick. I also feel sick if I eat a big breakfast, so pancakes and french toast are standard dinner fare at our house.

My new favorite thing to add to my oatmeal is peanut butter. It tastes extra good with some sliced banana added in too.

59. 5monsters says:

Kids and I all have PB & J for breakfast. Whole wheat bread and a glass of milk make it healthy and very very quick. Also, I can make them all at once then go get myself ready. Nothing gets soggy or cold and each kid can get their own as soon as they are ready. Even better is when I toast the bread first so the peanut butter gets all melty, yum.

60. Honey Nut Cheerios are definitely something I’m addicted to, but I save them for bedtime, since sweet things make me nauseated early in the day. Where do you get them for almost free? Mostly around here they’re priced like similarly addictive goods on the black market.

61. Left Field (#41):

You are clearly not eating enough cereal. Four bowls ought to do ya.

Erika (#55):

I can’t believe no one has mentioned Honey Bunches of Oats. It’s my favorite.

I love Honey Bunches of Oats. Not least because ever since a 2002 family reunion we’ve referred to it as Crunchy Bunnies and Goats.

Another cereal to receive a nickname is Kashi’s GOLEAN Crunch. It’s supposed to be Go Lean, but I kept reading it in my head as Go’ Lee Un. Now it’s become Mongolian Crunch, which is appropriate, because it’s almost certainly composed entirely of dried yak bits.

62. #60

Tatiana, I watch for the sales at my grocery store. At one point in the month, they almost always have some cereal on sale for 2/$4. I almost always have a coupon for cereal, so I match my $1.00 coupon to the sale. On Wednesdays, my grocery store will double $1.00 coupons, so I get 2 boxes of cereal for a dollar each. Sometimes, if they are running a special, like 4 for $10, I can use multiple coupons, which add up fast. And then the past few months they’ve been running the special with free milk, so I take advantage of that, too.

Also, for some reason, my kids are just not into cereal at all. Perhaps because it’s been kicking around most of their lives, they don’t feel the same way about it as I do. They almost never eat it. More for me….

63. I dad was too cheap to by us the real cereal so we got stuck with bags of Western Family Fruit Whirls and Albertson’s Rice Smacks. My parents tried to hide what they did by pouring the bags into od boxes of the name brand stuff but after a few weeks that box got pretty beat up.

64. mormonhermitmom says:

I don’t see how sugared cereal is cheaper than bulk oatmeal. My kids eat generic honeynut o’s because that’s the only thing I can bear to get them. With a diabetic father, I’m trying to minimize the sugar intake of the kids. They manage to get plenty of sugar in different ways.
    I love the MaltoMeal version of frosted shredded wheat, but don’t often buy it because of cost.
    My husband and I do a cup of oatmeal, a cup of water, a small spoonful of brown sugar, dash of salt and BERRIES and nuke it for 2 minutes. The milk cools it down. Good stuff.

For the record, I grew up on cold cereal without milk. I hated it soggy. My father would say, “How can you eat that dry?” I’ll put milk on cold cereal now when I do have it, but I eat very quickly.

65. Half the fun of watching “Pleasantville” is seeing what the Mom whips up for breakfast. That’s what breakfast should be.

66. Grapefruit aren’t a problem with all statins, just with some. Check with your pharmacist. And if there is no problem, join the manly amongst us and have a grapefruit for breakfast. But not with a glass of milk. That would be nasty.

67. Cold pizza, or left over chili. I hate traditional breakfast food, except one cereal from when I was a kid, which is Red River cereal, which is 7 different grains with lots of flax. (I know very odd) I ate it hot with lots of brown sugar and fresh from the cow milk.
    Now I detest milk, and won’t eat cereal unless I am starving.
    My husband buys the ginormous bags of sugary cereal, since his mom never did, and relishes sharing it with the kids, until we get low and then I have to listen to them all fight over the last bowl of sugary goodness. He usually wins, since he gets up at 3:30 am! (Oh the howls that go up when they discover the empty bags left on the counter!)

68. MikeInWeHo says:

re: 54
    What is baked french toast? Sounds yummy. Recipe?

69. Fun post! I like breakfast. Grew up eating pancakes, waffles, bran muffins, occasional cereal (but not sugar cereal). Now our breakfasts rotate between Cheerios, pancakes, cornbread, breakfast tacos (scrambled eggs and cheddar cheese in hot tortillas), and omelettes.

I love Honey Bunches of Oats the cinnamon kind. I also love Cinnamon Life and Cracklin’ Oat Bran. I rarely buy them though.

70. Any post that uses Calvin & Hobbes is a great post.

Strawberry Honey Bunches of Oats and Frosted Flakes for me.

On non-cereal days – an omelette, toast and grapefruit juice. The omelette is made by mixing the eggs, a splash of milk, a capful of lemon juice, some garlic powder, a little oregano and the miscellaneous rotating ingredient that strikes my fancy any given morning. It is eaten by cutting off a bit, placing it on the toast and consuming the toast bite-by-bite by repeating the process until the toast and omelette are finished simultaneously.

Breakfast is an art, at least when I bother to make it and not just eat out of a box.

71. We NEVER had sugared cereal growing up. As a matter of fact, it was one of the gifts Santa Claus would bring us on Christmas Morning (I would get Froot Loops, my brother Cap’n Crunch, my sister Apple Jacks).

Now, as an adult and mother, I understand my mother better. All that sugar early in the morning–I do notice it impacts my child.

BUT I do buy sugared cereal–and I feel a little rebellious every time I do. My current favorite: Froot Loops (because then I can claim I’m buying them to make Froot Loop necklaces with my kids).

I really do prefer hot breakfasts, though–I could eat/make breakfast food daily.

72. I let my kids eat cold cereal about once a week for breakfast, and then another day of the week they can eat it for a mid-afternoon snack. I prefer to eat cold cereal as a late night snack :)

73. Just last week I discovered the wonders of homemade yogurt. It’s super easy, super cheap, and way better–thicker, creamier, less sour–than anything I’ve bought from the store. Some yogurt mixed with a little raspberry jam and topped with Grape Nuts or granola makes a great breakfast.

74. Tom, I’d love to know how to make home-made yogurt. I’ve heard all sorts of wonderful things about it, and my kids practically live on yogurt. In the summer, when we visit grandma, she mixes homemade jam with plain yogurt, and it’s delicious. We have a strawberry farm not far from us (and DH is planning on putting in some blackberries in our garden), and I make a year’s supply of jam and jelly every summer. I bet home-made jelly would go great with that home-made yogurt!

75. mormonhermitmom-

Sugar cereal isn’t cheaper, and cereal at regular retail price is definitely pricey. But, like I said, with coupons and sales, I can get it for super cheap, and sometimes, if I play it right, for free. If it will cost me over $1.50 for a box, I usually won’t buy it (and I have a friend who hasn’t paid for cereal in a long time. She won’t get it unless it’s free). It’s hard to get bulk on sale, and there are never coupons for those brands. But if you’re not into couponing, and you still want cereal, yes, generic bulk brands are the way to go.

76. Heather,
    The method is in this article by food scientist Harold McGee:

It’s very simple: you just heat milk to 190 degrees, let it cool to 120, mix in 2 TBSP of yogurt per quart of milk, and let it sit in a warm spot for at least 4 hours. Use store bought yogurt for your first batch and for subsequent batches you can use some of your previous batch. You can use the tangy weigh that drains out for biscuits, pancakes, or bread. I haven’t done that yet but I plan on it.

77. Oops, my summary of the method left out a crucial step: you have to put the yogurt in a strainer lined with fabric—something like cheesecloth or a clean pillowcase (without perfumes from fabric softener)—to let the weigh drain out. I had bowls of yogurt before and after draining and the drained yogurt was much creamier and less harsh tasting.

78. chelseaw says:

I lived on generic Lucky Charms in college. Yummmmm.

79. Oops again. Weigh=whey. I knew that didn’t seem right.

80. Melissa Mc says:

I eat Kashi Heart to Heart — every day for the past 10 yrs — can’t live without it…no known coupons exist for this, but Target usually has it on sale once a month and when they do I buy a case.
    Kids eat: M/W — Oatmeal mixed with oat bran, wheat germ, dried fruit and bananas
    T/Th: eggs and whole wheat toast and bananas
    Fr: They get to pick what they want…usually Eggos.
    Hubbie: He eats Special K Almond or our Kroger brand blueberry muslix.

81. chelseaw says:

And I just had a flashback and remembered they’re called “Marshmallow Mateys.” Breakfast of champions!

82. My mission to Bolivia basically destroyed my sweet tooth for sugary cereals. Their sugar was about half the sweetness of ours here, and I got to liking the less-sweetened taste. You should have seen my little brothers’ faces as they tried eating the chocolates I brought back with me. Today, we’d pay Clark Goble $6 an ounce for the unsweetened chocolates I got used to on my mission.
    Anyway, I’m more of bran or oatmeal-style cereals. And I love grapefruit, whenever I can con my wife into getting it for me, as no one else here eats it. BTW, a real man just shovels out the sections with his spoon. He doesn’t take the time to make dainty slices with a paring knife.

83. Researcher says:

Mmm. Breakfast. This morning was yogurt and fruit and cinnamon raisin toast. My kids and husband eat cold cereal or freezer waffles, but I don’t if I can help it. I only buy sugar cereal once a year, so my kids are going to be those dysfunctional missionaries that eat Captain Crunch three meals a day in the MTC.

But they will definitely miss our Saturday morning pancake breakfasts when they leave home.

My favorites: cracked wheat, steel cut oats, Scottish porridge (like someone mentioned above), or quick oats. They have to be cooked properly so the consistency is right.

The quick oats should be eaten with brown sugar, chopped pecans and dried cherries or blueberries. (I’m not particular!)

84. I live in Germany right now, and the mere mention of Fruity Pebbles and Capt Crunch has me near tears. Those two, plus Lucky Charms, Golden Grahams and Honeycomb. When I lived in the states, I had one or more boxes of those on my shelf at all times. But I don’t just eat them for breakfast, I eat them for snacks, lunch, dinner…all the time. I love eating cereal.

Here I am surviving with shredded mini wheats and Chocos, but I am pretty sure there is nothing on earth better than Fruity Pebbles. Its like my crack.

85. 76: This is very much like the recipe for yogurt that virtually every missionary in the Switzerland Geneva Mission made back in the day. It’s easy and doesn’t have to be too precise — you can dump in the whole container of yogurt (the starter) even if that’s more than the 2 Tblsp per quart formula, for instance, and if you don’t want to go the route of draining whey through fabric, you can use a clean towel to blot up the puddles of acidic whey that form on top of the large yogurt curd. You can leave it out overnight — it won’t spoil, even though that’s longer the NYT recipe.

If you save some of each batch to add to the next, your yogurt may eventually become bitter, in which case you need to buy another cup of commercial yogurt.

Anyway, it’s easy, and delicious with whatever you like mixed in, or used in place of milk on your cereal if for some reason it sometimes doesn’t form a thick enough curd to eat as yogurt.

86. No seriously, I just realized my box of Mini Wheats is gone and now I am going to the store to buy more because I think thats what I will have for dinner tonight (its ’bout that time here…). Mmmmm cereal…..

87. Varies wildly; in rough order of frequency:

– cold cereal — plain Cheerios, Life, or Grape Nuts (or as Dave Barry once described it, “gerbil food mixed with gravel”) — usually with fresh or dried fruit, with skim milk and Splenda

– a can of Progresso soup (particularly on winter mornings)

– nothing, but I have an early lunch

– eggs fixed any number of ways (scrambled, fried, poached, soft-boiled), usually with toast

– hot oatmeal, again with fresh or dried fruit, skim milk and Splenda

– leftover cold pizza (if any by chance happens to be in the fridge; if this were in the fridge every morning, I would probably have it for breakfast every morning)

– some other enticing leftovers from the fridge (e.g., if I’ve grilled up a bunch of Tabasco chicken breasts, I’ll have one for breakfast)

..bruce..

88. #32: here used to be something called Fortified Oat Flakes that I liked a lot.

Post Fortified Oat Flakes remains my all-time favorite breakfast cereal. If you search on the ‘net, you’ll find that’s true for a lot of people. Efforts have been made to get Post to bring it back on the market, but to no avail.

If Fortified Oat Flakes were still available, I would probably eat them every morning for breakfast. Unless, of course, there was leftover pizza in the fridge. ..bruce..

89. I spent some of my formative years in the Middle East (Turkey) where we only had powdered milk. Consequently I learned to hate the taste of milk and haven’t drank it for over 35 years. But thank goodness for Count Chocula because I was able to eat that sans milk for years. Now through a wheat intolerance, I keep breakfast quick and simple – 2 or 3 eggs.

90. What I want to eat:
    Belgian Waffle, Bacon, Eggs
    Cocoa Krispies, Grapefruit
    Tall glass of OJ

What I eat (at work since I get up at the last minute):
    Yoplait Whips Yogurt (all flavors)
    FiberOne bar (peanut butter one is best)
    Water
    blech!

91. #83, Researcher- How do you make your cracked wheat? I’ve never been able to figure it out, as the recipes I’ve found all assume prior knowledge of wheat.

92. If I were single and didn’t have to worry about feeding a husband and kids, There would be nothing BUT cereal in my pantry. I would eat it 4 meals a day if I could.

93. I have learned in the past year that my body cannot handle the sugar in the morning, so I rarely eat cold cereal anymore. FiberOne maybe on occasion. Instead I mostly eat regular oatmeal with almond milk.

I let my kids eat sugared cereal during weekdays, but have found the best way to get them up and ready for church on time is to prepare a nice breakfast of eggs, muffins and fresh fruit. Saturday is traditionally pancake day at out house.

94. Researcher says:

I use a method I learned from Lehi Roller Mills by way of some friends. I tried to find the instructions on their website to link to, but couldn’t, so here’s the recipe. (Although I cringe to put a recipe here!)

The night before you want the cereal, boil three cups of water in a pot with a lid. When the water’s boiling, add 1/4 tsp of salt and a cup of cracked wheat (or steel cut oats). Put the lid on and take the pot off the heat. Leave overnight. (Four servings.)

In the morning, you can microwave however much you want to eat. I like cracked wheat hot with honey and steel cut oats cold with yogurt and fruit. I’ll often make extra since it can be refrigerated for about a week. (If you’re a sanitation freak, the cereal doesn’t ferment or go bad overnight, but if you want to, you can put it right in the fridge, and it retains enough heat to cook thoroughly before it gets cold.)

95. in my family:

dad – grapefruit + toast + boiled egg
    mom – nothing
    7 kids – fight over sugar cereal, until left with corn flakes and puffed wheat.

96. Bruce H. says:

Grapefruit is not a food, it’s a penance.

I used to like sugary cereals a lot, but then I developed diabetes.

My favorite breakfast now is fried potatoes, with onion, carrot, sausage, and eggs.

97. Chad Too says:

One more vote for Frosted Mini Wheats here. MY locla grocer tends to go triple-coupn and BOGO on those once every six weeks or so, so I really stock up then.

When it comes to eating them, though, I really can’t stomach breakfast cereal in the morning. 8:30pm is just-right for a big bowl of Mini Wheats.

…and now that we have 2:30-5:30pm church, brunch has become popular at our place. Everyone sleeps in and then Dad makes eggs, bacon, sausage, pancakes, juice, whatever. It’s da bomb.

98. I must say, I’m impressed with all the folks who make their kids large breakfasts. My mother never did that (except perhaps poaching an egg now and then) and I’m afraid I haven’t picked up the slack. My family would probably be healthier, though.

99. I have never met a breakfast I didn’t like. Grits, eggs, breakfast tacos, stuffed french toast, apple pancakes, waffles…yum.

My favorite cereal is Crackling Oat Bran, but I don’t buy it often because that little tiny box is usually gone by the time it’s my turn to eat, and I don’t like to start the day bitter. Weekdays it’s usually mini-wheats or nuttycrunchyflakes or homemade granola for everybody, unless I make a pot of oatmeal (which my kids always request on test days). Weekend mornings if we’re lucky the man of the house makes breakfast. And I make a big breakfast-for-dinner about once a week, on average. Breakfast rocks.

100. Thanks, Researcher. One more ignorant question– how do you crack wheat? Is it the same as grinding it into flour?

101. Add my voice to those cheering for Breakfast, whether Cheerios, Count Chocula, full English breakfast, Continental breakfast, American breakfast — it’s all great, including McDonald’s breakfasts. A real breakfast is essential. I can skip lunch if I’ve had a full breakfast and eat a light dinner, like Left Field mentioned.

As an American, I grew up on hot breakfasts (the American variation on the English breakfast, i.e. bacon, eggs, sausage, muffins, pancakes, that kind of thing) and didn’t discover the excellence of a real Continental breakfast until living in Holland and Germany in my late teens and early twenties respectively. Living in England now, I love the full spread of eggs, bacon, muffins/toast, baked beans, fried tomatoes (though I pass on the black pudding) but always look forward to getting away on a business trip or vacation to the Continent where I can enjoy salami or ham and various cheeses on warm crusty rolls (Schrippen or Semmel) and amazing butter and jams on toast as well as delicious yoghurts. (And of course pastries/croissants and hot chocolate in France.)

On cereals, the picture is much more bleak here in England and also on the Continent than in America. America has a lot more to offer in this category. In Germany, “Corn Flakes” actually means “breakfast cereal” in the same way that “Coke” just means “soda” back in Dallas, and the variety of cereals available doesn’t extend much beyond actual Corn Flakes or a given supermarket’s generic alternative. Back in the states I love Lucky Charms, Cap’n Crunch, Count Chocula but also Wheat Chex with sugar, raisin bran, Cinnamon Toast Crunch, etc. I’ve never been big on the cereals that are mini chocolate chip cookies, oreos or peanut butter cups or whatever — at some point it does go a little too far. Any kind of granola is wonderful but I’ve never been a fan of Müsli.

America also beats England or the Continent on hot cereals. Growing up, when we had cereal instead of eggs and toast, it was often hot cereal followed by cold cereal, i.e. the rule was that if we ate our bowl of hot cereal we could have a bowl of cold (sugar) cereal. Alternatively, there was a rule that we could have a bowl of sugar cold cereal if we had a bowl of unsweetened cold cereal first.

I grew up loving cracked wheat, cream of wheat and oatmeal (the latter being the least favorite of that group). I haven’t had cracked wheat since I was a teenager, I don’t think. My grandparents spoiled us with freshly cracked wheat for breakfast, something my mom also did as it was something she grew up with. There is something different about oatmeal in England and on the Continent than in America — its slimy here and the texture is also different in other ways as compared to simple American oatmeal. I have no idea why it’s different or how that can be. Also, semolina is what’s available in England instead of Cream of Wheat, and it’s not quite the same. Grieß in Germany approximates American Cream of Wheat better than semolina in England but it’s a desert in Germany and also isn’t exactly the same either. Nothing beats brown sugar on any of these hot cereals, although maple syrup comes in as a close second.

I love grapefruit with breakfast (not for breakfast on its own but on the side) but almost never eat it because I have a hard time buying grapefruit knowing that my parents have more than they can use for free (they have nine grapefruit trees), even though they live more than 5,000 miles away. It’s irrational and deprives me of grapefruit much of the time but I just can’t do it. I pick up a small, pale grapefruit at the store and think about the large, mild, pink grapefruits on my parent’s trees and just put the grapefruit back down.

That was fun.

102. I was among the first groups to attend the MTC in Spain, about ten years ago. We spent half our time in Provo and then the other half in Spain. At the MTC there, they only had a cook come in for the afternoon and evening meals, because in Spain most people just eat a light breakfast of pastries, yogurt, coffee/chocolate. The MTC kitchen had pastries, yogurt, juice, and cereal set out for us, and some of the missionaries were seriously bothered that there were no eggs or pancakes. I’ve heard that after getting too many complaints they started serving more ‘American’ style food at lunch and dinner, and I wonder now if they have started serving American breakfast too. I think it’s sad because part of the reason why you’re going to the MTC in another country is to get to know the culture, including the food.