TMTP: Blame Game Edition

Your Tuesday Morning Theological Poll:

Who is responsible for your sins?

Give us your excuses below.

Comments

1. …Ezekiel 3:15-21

2. plvmetz says:

Does “responsible” mean “Who caused them” or “Who deals with them and fixes them”? The gospel primarily addresses the second question. If you decide to believe and repent, then the Savior becomes responsible.

3. Um… you’re always the last one holding the sin stick. No one else can be blamed for your choices. You are responsible.

Ezekiel 3 does not complicate matters. The Lord has made clear that he will judge people based on their level of ignorance or knowledge of the Gospel. However, Ezekiel 3 effectively states that he who is called to preach the Gospel to the “wicked” has a sin attached to that responsibility. If that person does not fulfill that commandment, the sin is tied to what those he should have taught do. However, if that person does fulfill that commandment, doing all he could to preach, and was still rejected, then the sins of the “wicked” won’t be a stain on him. It’s the same thing with Jacob’s warning.

But I also agree with plvmetz, the question is phrased strangely.

Who is responsible for your sins? Well, Jesus pays for them in the end if you accept him as your savior. But as to who owns your sins, or upon whose shoulders are your sins, heh, even then Jesus takes them if you accept him. Otherwise, they are your own. They cannot be transferred upon another.

4. Proud Daughter of Eve says:

c) All of the above.

5. Depends on your age. Oh, to be 7 again!

6. Bryan H. says:

I wish I drowned in the baptismal font.

7. Peter LLC says:

I wish I drowned in the baptismal font.

It would have saved your priesthood leaders the trouble of hanging a millstone around your neck, that’s for sure.

8. The guilt-a-thon of being a mother — I know I myself am responsible for my sins, but then I think I’m also responsible for my children’s every misstep because I taught them poorly.

9. Just to clarify, when I voted “you”, I in no way meant you–John C., are responsible for my sins.

James 4:17. So in asking, “Who is responsible for your sins?” — It can’t be your sin if you don’t know it’s a sin.

The part of not teaching is somebody else’s sin.

10. Guilt-a-thon, cnl? I think not! Remember, D&C 68:25 applies to YOU, too! If YOUR parents didn’t teach YOU right, you can always turn around and throw YOUR sin on THEM!

Snap!

11. All my sins are my fault, but my wife is convinced all our kids’ sins are her fault. I try to get her to share the blame with me, but she is having nothing to do with that.

12. Hey, why leave the Calvinists out John? Where is “c) God” for them?

13. Aaron Brown says:

What if I don’t have any sins? Can I answer this hypothetically?

AB

14. And by You, I mean, John C.

15. Scott B says:

She is responsible. No question.

16. Warning – I am going to use a quasi-legal analogy, so skip if this sort of thing gives you hives.

Jointly and severally liable for the sins. Well not exactly. We are responsible for our own sins, but “The person who either taught you incorrectly or failed to teach you correctly” is responsible for the sin of teaching incorrectly or failing to teach.

In other words both have committed a tortious act, and while the “un-teacher” might have commited or failed to commit an act that started the causal chain leading to sin, we had the “last clear chance” to avoid the sin.

The reason the “un-teacher” is not solely responsible is that we know that the holy ghost is given to all – and so we all have at least a chance to know right and wrong.

17. Others might be responsible for my transgressions, including the ancestors who gave me my natural inclinations, but I’m responsible for my sins.

I don’t care about blaming others for my transgressions, since my transgressions are covered in the Atonement anyway. It frees me to tackle eliminating my transgressions without the burden of guilt and allows guilt for my sins to motivate me to stop committing them, as well. I wish more people understood that distinction, since I believe most of the guilt we feel is over our mistaken mixing of transgressions with sins.

18. Just by being a live we become “dirty.” Grace makes us clean. We are all sinners by virtue of being human. There are so many ways of sinning: commission, omission and by ineptitude and stupidity, to name a few. Some people, like some schizophrenics, just can not really keep themselves from doing really bad things.

Some things are within our power, some not, but grace covers all of them.

Then there is the matter of opinion: Is voting against prop. 8 a sin? Is thinking a sin?

19. This is something i’ve thought about quite a bit. Certainly there is no easy answer to this question. The only thing I can hope is that the lord will have perfect judgment. Some may commit a certain Sin because they want to and have a full knowledge of that Sin. Others may do the same exact thing and not realize it is wrong, mostly because “every one else is doing it, it must be ok” or because their parents did it, or whatever. Certainly the lord will know how to judge in these situations.

What a world, what a world…

20. #17:Which State Tort Laws are you using? Not CA.
    #19: “Just by being alive we become “dirty.”
    Is this ‘Mormon”? Sounds like a another good “Tuesday Morning Theological Poll (?)

21. See — I told you there would be Calvinists coming by John (witness #19)

22. This seems like a simple one – Knowingly not teaching correct principles is its own sin. Teaching and acting on what you know is truth shows God what you are. God will judge us fairly as he looks at the heart and knows us. All this other stuff seems like needless churning.

23. We are responsible for our own sins, but “The person who either taught you incorrectly or failed to teach you correctly” is responsible for the sin of teaching incorrectly or failing to teach.

This is way too worldly for me. I think it misses that responsibility has consequences, and those consequences may or may not be enforced. So responsibility, in this context, is not “hardwired” to a sin. I think of this as equivalent to a sin being forgiven.

I would also argue that there are many aspects to teaching incorrectly. “Knowingly” teaching incorrectly is just one aspect — and, I’m sorry to say, not the most important aspect. (Think: I just proved to God which lessons I really need to learn)

24. StillConfused says:

I own up to my mistakes. But I don’t continue to dwell on them afterwards. It is a growing process. I don’t blame others for my mistakes because I ultimately had the responsibility to do my own due diligence before I acted.

25. “And now remember, remember, my brethren, that whosoever perisheth, perisheth unto himself; and whosoever doeth iniquity, doeth it unto himself; for behold, ye are free; ye are permitted to act for yourselves; for behold, God hath given unto you a knowledge and he hath made you free.” Helaman 14: 30

26. nasamomdele says:

I voted “you” as in you, not you as in me.

27. All in all, I blame George W. Bush. And the Hoff. And maybe sometimes Ryan Seacrest.

28. Scott B says:

TStevens,

That’s quite the triumvirate you’ve assembled there.

29. anon today says:

My sibs are drunk, stoned, divorcedx5, or dead of unnatural causes. I am an active, endowed, happily married mother of 6 active, endowed, happily married kids.

My parents moved so often I went to 22 schools K-11. That last move was to Utah. My high school counselor was my Bishop. He moved heaven and earth and the bureaucracy at BYU to get me in at 15, to get me a job there, and to place me where I could get help. I got lots and lots of help.

My siblings did not get nearly as much help coping with our parents’ dysfunction. So yeah, the sins of the parents are visited upon the heads of the children, ad nauseum, ad infinitum.
    Go read:

which explains some of what needs to change.

Dallin Oaks said it well in his April 2006 Conference talk, All Men Everywhere.

imagine this block quoted

The Book of Mormon teaches that our Savior “inviteth [all the children of men] to come unto him and partake of his goodness; and he denieth none that come unto him, black and white, bond and free, male and female; and he remembereth the heathen; and all are alike unto God, both Jew and Gentile” (2 Ne. 26:33; see also Alma 5:49).

“He inviteth them all.” We understand “male and female.” We also understand “black and white,” which means all races. But what about “bond and free”? Bond—the opposite of free—means more than slavery. It means being bound (in bondage) to anything from which it is difficult to escape. Bond includes those whose freedom is restricted by physical or emotional afflictions. Bond includes those who are addicted to some substance or practice. Bond surely refers to those who are imprisoned by sin—“encircled about” by what another teaching of the Book of Mormon calls “the chains of hell”