What I’d like for General Conference this year

As a lover of all things gossip, I adore speculation about what might be announced in General Conference, what the big themes will be, etc. — especially when it comes to a new apostle, a new initiative or program, or a name change.

This session, however, I’m looking for something more simple: a time of refreshing. I want to feel the Spirit strongly and be reaffirmed in my testimony of this work, and leave Conference with a little more spring in my step.

What are you hoping for this time? And how can we at BCC cover Conference more effectively and meaningfully for you? Remember that we’ll have an open thread, as well as live coverage on twitter (@bycommonconsent).

Comments

Specifically, what worked or didn’t work for you last time? We’re going to repeat some features (photoessays and interviews), but we’re always looking for new ideas to improve our coverage.

2. 2 hour block meeting.

3. A ban on treat-training in the Church! LOL

tDMg

4. Just don’t pre-announce the talks. I don’t want to know the lady is going to bury her kids with a spoon before it happens.

5. I’d be thrilled with just spiritual refreshment this time, too… life is just too busy and complex now for me to be hoping for any news – however exciting it may be. Not that I won’t be happy for good things happening, but I have no hopes or expectations outside of “please give me some more uplifting thoughts to get me through the next few months.”

6. I forget who mentioned it in the other thread and it may be too late to do it this time, but seriously consider the CoverItLive suggestion.

7. Funny, I sorta enjoyed the intrigue and fun of having the “next up” announcements.

8. Eric Russell says:

I’d like the full text of a session’s talks before the session begins, please. Thanks.

9. The CHL is going to be open regular Saturday hours (9:00-2:00) tomorrow, so maybe swing by there for your photoessays and interviews.

Count me as one who doesn’t want spoilers.

Good call for the CHL, Ardis. Maybe you can give our photog a sneak tour?

Wm, the problem with CoverItLive is that we can’t embed it into our posts here (we’re on WP.com). We can only have an html link to the external discussion.

12. Things I’d like to see:
    – Announcement of 2 hour block
    – People from non-US countries wearing their own formal and respectful outfits, and not a Western suit-and-tie
    – Elimination (rather than addition) of some program
    – A return to goatees like President GA Smith and others used to have
    – Someone saying that the Spirit moved them to speak by inspiration so they’re going to ignore the Teleprompter
    – Bringing forth of the sealed portion of the Book of Mormon
    – A “Thus sayeth the Lord…” type of revelation similar to those in the early days of the Church

Siempre hay esperanza…

13. I wouldn’t be surprised if something wasn’t mentioned in General Conference concerning an issue raised in #92 &#94 at “The Bloggernacle Won’t Save You” by Steve Evans.

14. In honor of an earlier post, I’d like at least one talk to be given completely in haiku.

15. Ardis, have Steve give you my cell phone number; we (and by we, I mean my photog wife and I) would LOVE to do some shooting & interviewing at the CHL.

16. I still hold out hope that none of the Q12 or Q70 give two hoots about the b’nacle. Ya can’t swing at every pitch.

17. Ardis, Matt W. –we tried hard not to post any spoilers. Evans may have gotten an itchy trigger finger a couple of times, but we waited until things were said in the Conference Center before we posted them. I’m not sure what the broadcast delay is, and maybe we didn’t anticipate that very well.

18. *SPOILER ALERT*

President Monson will talk about birds
    President Uchtdorf will talk about planes
    President Eyring will talk about supermen

19. Oh, yeah, Steve. I forgot that you guys aren’t a real blog anymore.

20. sxark,

The great thing is that even if no one says anything like that, you’ll be able to read it into any number of fairly generic statements. The very definition of self-fulfilling prophecy…

21. I’m just thrilled to have a full Sunday at home with my family. It’s been a while.

Maybe it would be cool to share some photos of how folks around the ‘nacle are spending their weekends enjoying conference, instead of just those in and around Temple Square…

22. merrybits says:

Instead of a speaker, I would love to have our african brothers and sisters sing a rousing joyful song/hymn – I absolutely love that kind of music!

23. Bro. Jones says:

#8 Yes please. Yes please please please.

#12 Hahahaha, yeah. I don’t think my grandkids will hear that in their time, either.

Although my wife and I wore traditional Indian formalwear to our temple wedding and nobody complained.

24. Scott, Steve, I’m just a patron with no more — and ever since my Keepa report card on the library, considerably less — clout than any first-time visitor. I’m afraid I can’t do anything more than alert you to the fact that the library will be open so you can plan to include it on your swing through the LDS campus.

25. (pouting)

26. Kristine re#20

Perhaps so. But the reason I became involved with the internet a few months ago was because the thought occured, that as LDS Missionaries prepare and go out and meet investigators of the LDS Church and present their message, that the 1st thing many investigators will do is check on the internet – and what do they find? – is several sites by “broadminded” LDS members exspousing all sorts of opinions.
    As investigators dig deeper, they run into issues described in #13 of this post. I’m sure that the Missionaries may be prepared, in most cases, to deal with those issues. But some of those “broadminded” LDS sites are looking pretty fancy.
    It just seems to me that the responsibilities of LDS members will be increasing in the future because of the growth of the Church and more formal comments by General Authorities directly addressing these responsibilities and the concept of “broadmindedness” will be forthcoming.

27. If only we really WERE the first thing investigators found on the internet! Have you done much googling lately, sxark?

28. as LDS Missionaries prepare and go out and meet investigators of the LDS Church and present their message, that the 1st thing many investigators will do is check on the internet – and what do they find? – is several sites by “broadminded” LDS members exspousing all sorts of opinions.

Yes, and isn’t it wonderful? Investigators can now see for themselves that there are all kinds of Mormons, with all kinds of political and religious views. Stereotypes of cults, brainwashing, and rigid, lockstep agreement will be shattered forever.

29. Thomas Parkin says:

Kathleen Flake was talking about polygamy four blocks away last night – while I was eating my fish tacos.

Dang dang dang dang!!!!! I swore to myself I wouldn’t forget that was going to happen.

I will be with my parents over the weekend, as usual. And it will be restful, I’ll be able to go for a swim, I’ll take a couple naps, I’ll spend four to six hours in the beautiful Conference Center, I’ll suspend all criticism and listen for what I most need to hear, and I’ll hear it. ~

30. ZD Eve,

I am living proof that BCC plays an important role in deconstructing such stereotypes. My opinions (yes, I have more than one) of Mormons have changed very considerably for the better since Prop. 8, and I am a better person for it.

However, I must admit this is in fairly large contrast to my opinion of Mormonism, which has not seen comparable enlightenment.

Whether the Bloggernacle is viewed as a successful outreach mechanism may depend on whether the former is viewed as a success rather than just the latter. Simply asking converts what role the internet had in their conversion will inadequately measure the true power of this medium, which is to change hearts even if not souls. If Church authorities do not agree with this definition of success, there might be a mismatch of enthusiasm in the longer term.

This is very true, and it is wonderful to see.

This is not yet true, even for me, and I have made an effort. My honest impression, which I hope changes in time, continues to be that coloring outside the lines is more tolerated than encouraged by the Church, with lots of hidden “red lines”.

If the majority of commentators used a real name (like Steve Evans and Ardis Parshall) instead of a pseudonym, this stereotype would be “shattered” in the broader public much more quickly. I hope those with pseudonyms give serious thought to “coming out”. I know it has been very empowering to gays in terms of acceptance in the larger society, without sacrificing their own beliefs. Instinctively, people do not trust those who appear to have something to hide.

31. Ardis & ZD:

What I had in mind was the positive and negative aspects of “Broadmindedness” as defined by Elder Bruce R. McConkie in his book “Mormon Doctrine’.
    Also, use the official LDS site and plug in Broadmindedness in the search engine then read “The Strait Gate” by Sterling W. Sill.
    I feel you are correct in #28. However, many have gone too far with their open mindedness. And then there are those who have had their testimonies “shattered”, but hopefully, not forever.

32. … biting tongue …

33. sxark,

You have made your point multiple times, on two separate threads now. Time to stop.

34. I shall now reveal the TBM inside me by saying that I am really, really excited about General Conference. I love the men I believe to be Prophets, Seers, and Revelators, and am grateful for any opportunity to sit and hear them, as well as other general leaders in the Church, teach and preach.

Honestly, GC is always one of the highlights of my year. It is a rare instance in which, by Sunday afternoon, I am not inspired and more firmly committed to being a better person and follower of Christ.

I also am very thrilled to interact with any of you who are following BCC on Twitter or here on the blog over the next few days, and my wife is thrilled to be shooting photos for everyone to see.

35. Why do people want a 2 hour block? What would you do with an extra hour on Sunday? Watch football?

36. Aaron Brown says:

“And how can we at BCC cover Conference more effectively and meaningfully for you?”

I’d really appreciate a separate thread devoted entirely to bitchy, snarky commentary on General Conference fashion trends. You know, what people are wearing this year, and whether their suits match their ties. I’d also appreciate it if the usual suspects will stop protesting, and just concede that these are issues of vital importance that need to be aired.

AB

37. AB, it’s brilliant. A What Not to Wear: Conference Edition

38. Left Field says:

Last time, somebody posted the name of the new apostle while those of us listening on the internet were still hearing the opening hymn of the conference.

39. A couple of years back (IIRC,) someone posted the speakers and the names of their talks at the start of each session. It really added to my anticipation and improved my conference experience, Some people may feel that too much is “given away” by the names of the talks, but would someone at least post the list of speakers?

40. “a separate thread devoted entirely to bitchy, snarky commentary on General Conference fashion trends. ”

This would probably get more traffic than a thread devoted to the talks.

41. Left Field–if that’s the case, then there’s a LOOOONG delay on the internet, because we absolutely didn’t post it until after the vote had been taken. You’ll recall that our photographer took a photo of the congregation during the vote, and I didn’t hit “Publish” until he was back in the media room several minutes later. If somebody posted it, it weren’t us.

42. Ron Madson says:

Some of us are lactose intolerant….I know it is my problem and I own it and wish it were not so…but
    Any meat would do….
    I read all the April 2009 conference talks last night and made a TO DO list as the specific counsel given. Read, pray and keep commandments was far and away tops; second was “attend the temple”; third was “get out of debt/provident living” and then a whole bunch of single mentions —including the Sister’s talk that reminded us to refer to leaders by titles and not first name in public. Check, check, check, check and check!
    I remember being electrified when Pres. Benson gave his “I Testify” talk twenty plus years ago. I could use another recharge.

43. I agree with some here. I really hope that God’s prophets say something that will really validate and encourage the impulse of some mormons to view themselves as better, superior, more orthodox, more righteous, more worthy, more authentic than some other mormons. If those of us who know that our narrow version of the Everlasting Gospel is holier than that of various alternate voices could get a little additional fuel for our righteous fires, I think that would really strengthen the community of Christ’s disciples. That’s the kind of spiritual enrichment relief I’m really longing for.

Give us more lines — lots and lots of clearly defined lines!

44. This is the second weekend I’m just hanging out with wife and new baby. I’m going to enjoy just chilling out and listening to talks (and feeling the Spirit) and being amazed at this little one.

45. Left Field says:

It was a commenter, Duke of Earl Grey. http://bycommonconsent.com/2009/04/04/saturday-morning-general-conference/#comment-129195.

At first, I thought it was just a random last minute guess, since the choir was still singing to open the conference. Then when the announcement was made a few minutes later, I was surprised to hear the name that had just been guessed on BCC. The delay was about 2-3 minutes throughout the session, based on the delay between when comments appeared and when I finally heard them on the internet feed.

It wasn’t a real big deal, but it did kind of let the air out of the event. Sort of like when our stake was to be dissolved in a much-anticipated special afternoon meeting, and a sister apparently with inside information announced in morning fast and testimony meeting which of the surrounding stakes our ward was going to be assigned to .

46. Left Field,

I am curious what circumstance led to the dissolution of your stake. Historically, stakes have only grown in population, no?

47. Left Field says:

Hurricane Katrina

48. Yeah, that is kind of a bummer, Left Field, but it seems pretty much inevitable if people are listening and commenting from all over. Hell, in Australia, they knew on Friday :)

49. I sustain the two hour block. Much needed.
    I would like: an apostle to state that the Church will now have a hotline people can call who have suffered ecclesiastical abuse; a talk stating that RS presidents will also sit on any Church court council; a talk exhorting bishops to respect and listen to their auxiliary leaders; a talk apologizing for the abuse of power in the Church; a talk that emphasizes God loves all of his children, including gays, non-LDS, and Democrats.

50. Don’t hold your breath, Carol, though you might get one or two of those things.

51. I think that there will be some Brethren given Emeritus status, Elders Didier, Neuenschwander and Mickelsen and several of the Second Quorum of the Seventy will be released and new Seventies will be sustained. Mind you if John Bytheway or John Hilton 111 are sustained I am out!

52. I’d like a men’s choir to sing at one of the general sessions, not just at the priesthood session, and some really rousing Choir arrangements, with mp3 files posted like they did last year.

53. Fewer dead children talks. Less heart-string pulling in general would be good.

54. Eric Russell says:

That’s called the Stake Executive Secretary – who will set up an appointment with the appropriate person – if, indeed, any kind of actual abuse is occuring.

55. danithew, congrats!!

Brace yourself to weep if the choir does I Am A Child of God. Or Consider the Lilies . . .

56. Yeah, danithew, let me add my congratulations here. That is really wonderful news. You will be a fantastic father.

57. Okay, folks. I just got to the Conference Center, and will be getting the Conference threads going in just a moment.

58. That lightning will strike and the choir won’t actually sing “Have I Done Any Good” as the closing song Sunday Morning.

59. 4 hour block for those who want a fast track to the celestial.

60. Matt Rasmussen says:

What’s with people wanting a 2 hour block? Quit Twittering and lengthen your attention span. ;)