Sunday Morning General Conference: One Session to Rule Them All

A Grand AM to you!

Welcome to By Common Consent’s live coverage of General Conference on this absolutely miserable and rainy Sunday Morning in Salt Lake City! Music and the Spoken Word is being played and…er…spoken right now, with the Sunday Morning session ready to get going in about 15 minutes. Don’t forget to follow our minute-by-minute coverage on Twitter. We also encourage you to (if you’re not already doing so) watch Conference live, streaming from LDS.org.

A separate (but equal) thread containing photos from around the Conference Center will be set up soon.

We’ve got a few minutes before conference starts, so let’s hand out a few mini-Niblets, no? Best Talk? Best Tie? Best Hair? Or do we need a category which President Uchtdorf doesn’t win?

(For those asking for the batting order, I am afraid I will be disappointing you. Sorry!)

Just announced: President Eyring first, then Bishop Burton

From President Eyring:

“First, I give counsel to husbands and wives. Pray for the love which allows you to see the good in your companion. Pray for the love that makes weaknesses and mistakes seem small. Pray for the love to make your companion’s joy your own. Pray for the love to want to lessen the load and soften the sorrows of your companion.”

It’s difficult to type while President Eyring is speaking.

Elder Perry mentioned the ward-level missionary work plans. My own ward has been quite successful in implementing this–what has been your experience?

Bishop Burton: The “ITY” Virtues–civility, fidelity, charity, generosity, morality, spirituality, humility, integrity…

Fun Fact #5: The photographer for the BYU-Idaho paper had his camera equipment stolen last night.

Fun Fact #6: He has commandeered my wife’s camera. Hence, pictures are slow coming.

Sister Dibb is speaking now–as I’m sure you all know, she is the daughter of President Monson. It is interesting to hear her personal experiences with him, such as that which she shared today. I wish she would give us a little bit more, though–just one small anecdote. Elder Nelson up to bat now…

Elder Nelson:

“Personal revelation can be honed to become spiritual discernment. To discern means to sift, to separate, or to distinguish. The gift of spiritual discernment is a supernal gift. It allows members of the Church to see things not visible, and to feel things not tangible. Bishops are entitled to that gift as they face the task of seeking out the poor and caring for the needy…members can discern between schemes that are flashy and fleeting and those refinements that are uplifting and enduring.”

MoTab Choir Singing.
Lavendar Robes, Dark Suits.
Here Comes Pres Monson.

That is all for the morning session–but one thing of note: If you’re trying to follow us on Twitter, apparently the @ByCommonConsent feed is not being picked up in the #ldsconf Twub. If you have ideas why, please send an email to us or tweet to me. We’ll be back in an hour or two, and pictures will be forthcoming are now up on a separate thread here at BCC.

And please, remember to be courteous in driving.
________________________

Sunday Morning General Conference: One Session to Rule Them All

Comments

1. Hey Scott, if you have the list of speakers for these last two sessions, can you email them to me?

Thanks

2. me too? mertigressatgmaildotcom

3. My brother just entered the MTC. His two favorite songs (Come Thou Fount and My Shepherd) were performed on music and the spoken word today… I hope he gets to listen.

4. alextvalencic says:

So this is going to be my most interactive online experience with Conference ever! Video streaming on my wife’s computer, live blogging on my computer, both here and on BCC. And somehow I am going to try to take notes, as well, so I can post them on my blog at the end of conference! Ready? Set? Go!

5. Best sports analogy?

6. I am ready. Aren”t you all lucky?

7. Tanya Spackman says:

President Monson looks good in a red tie.

8. Forgot that I am using my full name.

9. I’m looking forward to some more spiritual enlightenment today. I don’t often walk away from priesthood meeting thinking that someone other than a member of the first presidency gave the best talk of the session, but I have to sy that last night, Elder Ballard hit it out of the park. Many times!!!

10. alextvalencic says:

So a quick question for all those hoping for an announcement of a 2-hour block… How would that work? (And if this has been discussed elsewhere, just drop the link!)

11. 1 hour sacrament, 30 minutes sunday school, 30 minutes RS/PH.

12. I nominate the women of MoTab for TLC’s “What Not to Wear.”

13. SCOTT–can we get the lineup today? and if you have text of talks, email them to robtherefereeATgmailDOTcom

14. alextvalencic says:

Well, in that case, as a Primary teacher, I am going to utter a quick, “Oh good Lord, please, no!” I would never get a lesson started with that little amount of time! And sharing time… oh, we’d never get anything done! Think of the children! Oh, please, won’t someone think of the children!

15. I second that. I know it’s hard to find something that’s flattering on everyone, but NOBODY looks good in these dresses.

16. BRIAN — you arent related to any Duffins that used to live in Alaska are you? Had a string of Sizzler restaurants?

17. Tanya Spackman says:

I like the purple MoTab men’s ties. I can’t see the pattern on them well (I want conference in HD!), but what I can see looks nice. Matches with the women’s dresses.

And yes, the dresses aren’t great, but since they have to go with something that will be wearable for women of every shape and bust size, they’re really limited, and these actually aren’t that bad.

18. kewinters says:

Sadly, I like these dresses better than yesterday’s.

19. Is anyone else having problems with the streaming being choppy?

20. Mine is nonexistent, Apparently the church doesn’t have linux supported at all. I’m watching on TV.

21. I Just want to go on record saying that it still bothers the hell out of me that a church that emphasizes family so much would ban children under the age of 8 from the conference center during conference.

22. Yes, Ray. Now LDS.org isn’t working at all. I just got an error that says the website is temporarily down.

23. RAY–the stream on my 42 inch plasma is not choppy at all.

24. kewinters says:

Mine is extremely choppy. I barely get two words in a row.

25. xenologue says:

I actually think it’d be nicer to have a shorter sacrament meeting. For one thing, it would emphasize that we’re there for the *sacrament*, and not as much to listen to 30-45 minutes’ worth of speakers.

26. Yes Ray. And when we tried to reload, we lost video feed altogether. Apparently the lds.org website is being overwhelmed with the demand again. BYU TV is a completely lost cause, and always has been. It just doesn’t have the bandwidth to cope apparently.

27. It’s too bad, since I love this song.

28. I can’t get LDS.org or BYU TV to work at all. Is it online anywhere else?

29. psychochemiker says:

ksl.com people. But now you’ll all make ksl crash. darn it. never share anything.

30. Tanya Spackman says:

The choir director also has a nice tie.

31. had problems with the main stream, but the windows media stream is working pretty well. (I may regret saying this…)

32. Okay, I was able to get there by going straight to the broadcast page:

33. Speaking of Choir DIrectors, did any of the men notice last night notice that during the congregational hymn, he didn’t sing a single word of the song?

34. @ Rob (#22),

My current ward is primarily composed of young couples, most of whom have between 1 and 3 children under the age of 8. With that many young children in the congregation, it is frequently difficult to hear the speaker. I can only imagine how bad it would be in the Conference Center.

35. psychochemiker says:

Excluding under 8 y/o from the conference center is the only thing that keeps me watching G/C.

36. Tanya Spackman says:

Elder Eyring’s tie is a little bland.

37. As a parent of young children, I think it would be miserable to try to make it through two hours in the conference center.

38. Rob, it doesn’t bug me at all.

A church that understands family would also understand that we parents actually get sick of our kids and not force us to put up with them in all contexts.

39. I’m on byub.org

40. Tanya Spackman says:

“The message of the restored gospel of Jesus Christ is that we can and must expect to become better as long as we live.”

41. psychochemiker says:

I think it should be a form of child abuse to force under 8 year olds to the conference center and expect them to sit quietly.

And it’s a form of adult-abuse to broadcast young children screaming and crying across the world.

There’s just no reason for it.

42. Clay Whipkey says:

There, I contributed something positive.

43. Beat me to it, Tanya. Great stuff.

44. I need to go fullscreen, so I’ll read everyone’s comments after it’s over.

45. I don’t know that I’ve ever sung this “Zion” song in English. On my mission, the Chinese wards and branches in which I served seemed to be pretty fond of it. “锡安,锡安,美丽的锡安,可爱的锡安,我们神圣的城市,锡安 . . .”

46. Agree that I think they have chosen wisely by not allowing under-8s.

47. alextvalencic says:

I’m watching online and still listening to the choir sing. I had no idea the video lag was this bad! But I don’t want to rush across town to watch at a church building and only be able to update on Twitter… *sigh*

48. “Any believing Latter-day Saint is an optimist . . .” Ah, crap.

49. #34

Rob

Just stood there waiving his arms with a grin on his face

Drove me nuts!!!!!!!

50. Anne (U.K.) says:

our under 8’s used to have their own Primary-run stake conference during the Sunday morning session. My kids were most unhappy when it was stopped and they had to come in with us.

51. Eder Eyring, however is reminding us of the vlue of worshipping with young one. Yet, this does not preclude practical measures.

My children are reminders of pure love.

52. alextvalencic says:

Okay, now that BYU-TV has saved my morning, I can focus on the message. Oh, primary songs! Now I am uber-happy!

53. Tanya Spackman says:

“Love is the motivating principle by which the Lord leads us along the way toward becoming like him…. Love of others is at the heart of our capacity to obey Him.”

54. I’m not sure I understand “love of others is at the heart of our capacity to obey [god].” I’ll have to think on that.

55. BYU TV is completely bogged down apparently and I can’t get anything to load. The official LDS website feed is not loading either. Only KSL.com worked for us.

56. Tentacles of love. What a word to use. Or did I hear it wrong?

57. After several attempts, we got the lds.org audio feed to start working. But it is starting to be inconsistent.

58. It’s probably all the additional people logging in to see if an apostle says anything nasty about gay people.

59. Bad form Seth.

60. xenologue says:

Ariel > I think it was PENTACLES of love. That makes more sense. :D

61. kewinters says:

mine just cut from Eyring to the opening of priesthood??!?!?!?!

62. It’s all those “Sunday only” conference watchers bogging down the broadcast streams.

63. Tanya Spackman says:

“I hope you will go out today looking for opportunities to do as he did and love as he loved.”

64. psychochemiker says:

60 Chris H.
    It was a joke (right?).

65. Okay, well Steve M said what everyone else was thinking. Let’s move on…

66. Tanya, thanks for highlighting those quotes.

67. Marmon…tee hee

68. lds.org was jittery, so I tried to load byub.org. It never loaded. I completely lost lds.org. ksl.com is working well now.

President Eyring always speaks with his emotions so near the surface. His vulnerability invites me in, and I feel like there’s a heart-to-heart connection mediated by the Spirit. Amazing.

69. Maybe Chris. But is was also serious. I monitor news stories with the “Mormon” “Mormonism” “Joseph Smith” and “LDS” keywords via Google Alerts, and this year has seen a RELENTLESS stream of news articles and blog posts – all devoted solely to this particular pet issue.

Our Church is under the microscope right now.

70. psychochemiker says:

Ariel, 55. “I’m not sure I understand “love of others is at the heart of our capacity to obey [god].” I’ll have to think on that.”

Jesus commanded, Love one another. If we obey God we love, if we don’t love one another, we are not obedient.

IMHO

71. The Manti Temple is my fave.

72. I know it was a joke. But still..

73. Left Field says:

People who think Mormons spend all their time saying nasty things about gay people will find that it’s even worse: Mormons seldom mention gay people–at all.

Mine just cut to the beginning of the Saturday morning session.

74. My apologies for the junior high-level humor. In all seriousness, this is a good talk.

75. xenologue says:

Chad Too>
    I eat carn, live in St. Gearge, praise the Lard, read that Book a Marman… :D tee hee

76. Tanya Spackman says:

Even though Elder Perry’s tie is another boring grey, the stripe is nice. Also, gray looks pretty good against his skin tone.

77. I haven’t been to the Manti pageant for some time. I remember it being rather fun. I wonder what I’d think of it if we went back.

78. Seth, I am well aware of that. Just trying not to think about it. carry on.

79. quoting Regan. Yay!

80. Manti Temple love. Amen.

81. On people asking “How is your family?” and then waiting for a response! What love and interest!

82. There really is a big difference between a filmed temple session and a live one. I totally get what E. Perry is saying about hearing the echo of the pioneers.

83. I love the Manti temple almost as much as I hate the Manti pageant.

84. Tanya Spackman says:

“There’s something about reviewing the lessons of the past to prepare us to face the challenges of the future.”

85. Ditto Brad.

86. psychochemiker says:

Brad, hehe. There are a couple good things to the pageant, even if they’re rare.

87. Ben, such sincerity seems so rare.

88. Though the pageant is a good excuse to go eat a lot of 7up turkey.

89. RE: 7up turkey.

Even a broken clock is right twice a day.

90. In the name of equality, let’s tear down all of old temples and replace them with modern-day temples.

91. Tanya Spackman says:

I loved the pageant when I was a teenager. It was a fun and spiritual experience. Now I’m older and more cynical, and if I were to see it again I may be filled with snark, but it was good for me when I was young.

92. That graphic made me dizzy.

93. *looking for his recipe for 7up turkey*

94. lol@eddie

95. There is no pageant other than the Hill Cumorah Pageant. The rest are all mock facsimiles.

96. “We are going to build another Temple in Manti, in Sanpete Valley, and they are also going to build one in Cache Valley, at Logan. … After a while, every county will have its temple, and maybe after that every town and village will also have its own temple.” — Ned Desaules, in a letter to his aunt, 1877

97. HCP = the greatest abomination of all.

98. xenologue says:

Elder Perry has reminded me of why Utahns made fun of the way I pronounce “roof”.

99. queuno is correct Hill Cumorah rules, though Tanya’s (#93) comment applies there as well. It is more about the experience of heading out to a pageant with the family than it really is about the details of the performance itself.

100. Peter LLC says:
  101. My favorite part of HCP is when Samuel the Lamanite appears.

102. Perry doesn’t end sentences with prepositions. This makes me happy.

103. Great quote Ardis. He must not have meant Box Elder County.

104. I love the Manti temple. Growing up in southern Utah, it was basically our temple. It’s a beautiful structure with a lot of historic character. I much prefer it over the prefabricated box designs of the newer temples. I love nice buildings with a lot of history.

I also agree with the above. I love the Miracle Pageant every bit as much as I dislike it.

My first date with my wife was spent on a blanket on that big lawn watching the pageant while our friends (all hoping we’d hook up) did their best to avoid talking to us, so we could be “alone.”

So I have a soft spot in my heart for this particular piece of Mormon kitsch.

105. I went to the HCP once while very depressed about my life. When Christ made his grand appearance at the end, I wept. Sure it was pure cheese, but it hit me strong.

106. Tanya Spackman says:

It’s usually not wrong to end a sentence with a preposition.

107. Tracting is ineffective.

Amen.

108. Prepositions are things that it’s usually okay to end sentences with.

109. Tanya Spackman says:

I like the forceful way Elder Perry shares his ending testimony.

110. kewinters says:

Narway

111. Remember the kid who didn’t want to hear Australian bedtime stories? “Why did you bring that book I didn’t want to be read to from out of about Down Under up for?”

112. ugh, brad. ew.

113. Tanya Spackman says:

Bishop Burton’s tie is hideous. It matches well with his suit, and it’s got a nice pattern, but the color is horrible. Horrible! Actually, I don’t really like brown suits, either.

114. Ardis, that nearly made me cry.

115. “Let virtue garnish thy thoughts unceasingly.” Another pr0n talk?

116. kewinters says:

I love Burton!

117. The Aristotle talk.

118. psychochemiker says:

The tie is a very good fall tie, so’s the suit. It IS fall people.

119. Laurie in KC says:

Did he just say Elder Pace (instead of Elder Perry)?

120. I liked Perry’s striped tie, by the way. I like stripes.

121. “virtue-traits”

122. xenologue says:

He was thanking Elder Pace for his invocation.

123. 7up Turkey

1 quart soy sauce
    1 2-liter bottle 7up (diet will not work)
    12-18 boneless turkey breasts
    1 cup vegetable oil
    ================

Place turkey breasts in a deep stockpot. Gently pour half the 7up from the bottle into the pot, doing your best not to fizz the soda up too much. Pour the soy sauce into the bottle of soda and gently swirl to mix, then pour the mixture over the turkey breasts. This should be enough to cover all the meat. Pour the cup of oil into the pot. The oil should rise to the top, effectively sealing the fizz in the soda.

Place the pot in the refrigerator to marinate at least 10 hours. Overnight is better. Pull the turkey breasts out and grill slowly over low flame/coals (too hot will burn the outside before the cold center comes to temperature.)

If you want to glaze the breasts, take a new 3/4 cup of soy sauce and put it in a fresh saucepan with a 1 1/2 cups of 7up. Add 1/4 teaspoon of ground ginger, and 1/4 cup of sugar. Cook down (careful — it’ll fizz up on you at first) to about half or until the mixture has the consistency of a barbecue sauce. Baste the turkey breasts with this mixture while grilling.

124. “ity virtues”

125. psychochemiker says:

disparity…The quality of unequal.

126. It is the Kanye West Talk.

127. Tanya Spackman says:

His tie is starting to grow on me. I maintain it’s a horrible color, but darn it, I like that tie. Bishop Burton is corrupting me!

128. psychochemiker says:

vulgarity. The quality of vulgarness.

129. If you don’t add lots of fresh garlic, you might as well not even make it, Chad Too.

130. Peter LLC says:

Brown at General Conference–a sure sign of the collapse of standards of formal wear.

131. Virtue Mailaise (sp?). Now he is channelling the Canadian philosopher Charles Taylor.

132. While I appreciate this talk, I can’t help but be worried that the list of what might happen will be continually quoted in Sunday School when people don’t want to be optimistic about the future.

133. Serena Williams, he’s talkin to you.

134. You put the minced garlic on the table, silly.

135. “EVEN the ‘ity’ virtues” !!!

136. In the marinade!

137. garlicity?

138. @NoCoolName_Tom (#133)–You can counter with Uchtdorf’s opening statement about optimism from his talk last night.

139. Ugh. Burton is bringing up the whole “blame the financial crisis on the debtors thing again.”

Just once, I’d like to see a General Authority acknowledge the blame that lies with the financial industry for our troubles.

In my experience, my bankruptcy clients have one debt that put them under – their mortgage.

And in case Burton has forgotten, our leadership basically gave the membership a free hall pass when it came to mortgages.

140. True, true. :-)

141. I testify that garlicity is a virtue, whether in the marinade or on the table I care not.

142. xenologue says:

Bless you!

143. Indeed, Seth.

144. Seth, I fully agree.

145. Wait, so now we’re not supposed to blame the banking industry?

146. Seth, I fear people will overlook the problems caused by lenders as well and may take Bishop Burton’s comments there too far. :(

147. Shout out to Michael McLean!

148. xenologue says:

Also, The Lost World. With Dinosaurs!!

149. xenologue says:

Hubby says: Itty bitty virtues?

150. Re: Ann M. Dibbs: Will this be the first time a father and daughter have spoken in the same conference?

151. alextvalencic says:

I can’t control what my lenders do, but I can control from whom I receive my loans.

152. (My wife just wondered much extra tithing was paid by Mormon real estate agents who knowingly sold houses with subprime mortgages to people who couldn’t afford them.)

153. Tanya Spackman says:

Isn’t “How Firm a Foundation” sung every General Conference? Someday I want to see “If You Could Hie to Kolob” as the break hymn. Variety, people! Variety!

154. Education, cars, and houses.

Our leadership gave us an exemption on all of those things.

And guess which loans are always the ones that put my clients into bankruptcy?

Yup. Student loans, car loans, and adjustable rate mortgages.

155. “ity virtues?”

“ITY virtues?”

What the heck…

156. He used some powerful “ity” alliteration in his closing there.

157. kewinters says:

I’m pretty sure Dibb has spoken before.

158. Laurie in KC says:

Seth 9#140), AMEN. Why is it that the GA talks traditionally do not reflect the need for accountability on the part of institutions and industries? He surely knows the vast numbers who were illegally misled and manipulated by unscrupulous lenders.

And thanks for the clarification, Xenologue (#123)!

159. Tanya Spackman says:

It may be religiously fair game to take out those types of loans, but that doesn’t mean we get a free pass to take out more than we can reasonably afford. Yeah, the financial industry is rampant with corruption, but much of the time we have our own hand in our demise.

160. xenologue says:

Yoohooo unto Jesus

161. Why is she smiling?!?

162. She seemed a little too happy about those deaths… :/

163. Should she be smiling while sharing this gruesome story?

164. Tanya Spackman says:

Whoa, a huge smile while she talks about death and a collapsing scaffold. AHHHH!

165. xenologue says:

Sad story but…
    Shout out to my neighbourhood!

166. xenologue says:

… whoa, I’m glad I’m just listening and not watching

167. She must be a nervous smiler.

168. “Insidious.” InsITYous?

169. How can you smile when you mention “4 people were killed”?

170. She had the traditional Monson passive voice construction down pat! ;-)

171. Tanya Spackman says:

I’m anti-pink in general, but it looks good with her skin tone.

172. She had the traditional Monson passive voice construction down pat! ;-)

173. A lot of people smile when they are nervous. It’s how they hold themselves together.

174. xenologue says:

I would be so happy if she said
    “It’s pretty scary, I tell you what.”

175. Accidentally placed image of burning tree?

176. I think there was a mistake in the graphics.

177. Could be botox…

178. When she moves her head just so, you can see she’s got his genes… She tells a story just like him, too.

179. I love the Utah Mormon accent sometimes hehe. “Praw-futs.”

180. “Certain death”, with that smile. Creepy…

181. 163–I was thinking the same thing. She has permasmile.

182. There we go, the right place for the tree….

183. Natalie K. says:

Re. Bishop Burton: Why do people hate on the world? I don’t think it’s evil. I like the world.

But at least now we’ve got Sister Dibbs talking about workers. Sweet.

184. OK guys. She’s smiling and it’s not a good fit with the story.

But botox commentary is a bit much, don’t you think?

185. The women that speak always seem to be too happy when they talk. Always weirds me out a bit.

186. Minus the facial expression, this is a nice talk. Charity is kind, no?

187. Tanya Spackman says:

“Get a grip”, you slackers.

188. #ldsconf is #8 in twitter trending topics.

189. Botox is a less disturbing explanation than sincerity, methinks.

190. I think this will be a nice talk to read later.

191. Tanya Spackman says:

Actually, I like this talk. Lehi’s dream and anything having to do with the Tree of Life fills me with delight and glee.

192. “Hey, what’s that?”

“It’s an inanimate carbon rod!”

193. It’s like the Nixon debate. It’s a really excellent talk, provided you just listen and don’t watch.

194. Yes, a good talk, aside from any qualms over delivery.

195. alextvalencic says:

So I was all excited that Sis. Dibbs spoke of the “rod of iron” instead of the “iron rod” – then she called it the iron rod. Phooey.

196. Ahhh, the weepy woman finish!!

197. Also, many people who have spent years working with youth develop permasmile to keep from killing them. Smiling and thoughts of death aren’t mutually exclusive. :)

198. Forgive me. But really, that’s not just Botox. It’s a bad eye job.

199. Weepy doesn’t bug me on her any more than it bugs me on any of the male speakers so far.

200. Tanya Spackman says:

I like Elder Nelson’s tie. Nice color, nice pattern.

201. Except for the streams being choppy!

202. Scott B, as a former member of the Scroll newspaper, I think it is neat that your wife is helping the photographer out.

203. Me too Seth R.

204. kewinters says:

I don’t say this enough, but I love my family…

205. When she started talking about dad, I expected to find it annoying. But it was touching and endearing. Some genuine humanity broke through that awkward permasmile.

206. Seth, don’t get me started. :)

207. Man, BYU.TV must have a pretty bad lag.

208. Wasn’t this a Seinfeld episode? :D

209. Elder Nelson must have a smart phone. I would hope that the Church would, however, embrace the only true and living smart phone–iPhone! It comes in white, you know. Perfect for temple meetings.

210. I think I’m on a HUGE delay!

211. Tanya Spackman says:

I’ve had that happen to me: I awaken in the morning to find that I can’t read the notes I’d written on what seemed like brilliant thoughts in the middle of the night. Very frustrating.

212. #195 I could never get over the similarities between Nixon and Mr. Ed.

213. Laurie in KC says:

Tanya, #160, Yes, we are responsible–unfortunately people looked to lenders and other professionals to determine “what they could reasonably afford”. Its part of the lenders calculations. This is one of the responsibilities of being a professional–not to knowingly rip people off, or knowingly take advantage of ignorance when we expertise. Many of these people in charge had advance degrees from distinguished institutions of higher learning.

By this logic, we tell people to get their annual physicals, and if for some reason they are paralyzed by a procedure in the physical, then it was their own fault. If this became widespread, we’d still be blaming the patients rather than examining the systemic roots.

214. Natalie K. says:

Oh no! Apple fan boy strikes again!

215. “Flaming globes, Sigmund!” was the line he wrote.

216. I am now regretting my decision 6 months ago to get a Blackberry instead of an iPhone, despite the fact that I save 40 bucks a month with the Berry.

217. In the movie Baby Mama, Tina Fey talks about the same thing — waking to write down a brilliant flash of insight, only to wake up in the morning to realize that she’d written “make everyone be twins.”

218. The Palm Pre is the only true phone.

219. Indeed, Rob. But there is a way back. Repent. ;)

220. Mosiah 3:19 getting heavy rotation this conference.

221. I figured I’m on a 9 minute delay. So unfair!

222. I have a testimony of the iPhone. It is the only true and living smart phone.

223. That repentance would cost me about 350 bucks to get out of my current contract.

224. meems: just think how witty all this repartee will be in less than ten minutes!

225. Brad, her other idea was “electric toilet.” Ouch.

226. Natalie K. says:

Hm. Last conference Nelson gave a shout out to those who “suffered persecution” for righteousness’ sake, and now he’s talking about following the prophet….. Can we move on from Prop. 8 yet, people?

227. meems, I want to bear you my testimony of Comcast…

228. Ooh! another use of the word “supernal!”

229. supernal sighting

230. … still not having any problems with byub.org. Maybe because I opened my session during “Music and the Spoken Word”.

231. Natalie, Prop 8 never occurred to me in either of those moments — maybe YOU’re the one who needs to move on?

232. I’ve used an electric toilet befoer. One of the perks of serving a Japanese mission.

233. I’m looking forward to reading this talk. There’s a lot here.

234. Tanya Spackman says:

“Personal revelation can be honed to become spiritual discernment. … With that gift sisters may view trends in the world and detect those that, however popular, are shallow or even dangerous.”

A slam against Twilight?

235. iphone-ing it from the stake center mother’s lounge, courtesy of a hyperactive nine-month-old. dunno what i’d do without the iphone.

i left the chapel as dibb started and doubled back because i was sure i misunderstood her tone of voice when talking about the four killed and several injured. i didn’t misunderstand. :(

236. Ardis beat me to it.

237. Tanya Spackman says:

By the way, I hate Twilight, so if that’s the slam, I’m unrighteous happy and prideful about it and need to repent.

238. I guess I’m on a long delay, also, since #228 doesn’t make sense yet.

239. LOL Tanya 236 YES!

240. I don’t get a prop 8 vibe here, but there were definite overtones in his talk last conference.

241. Cool, he’s quoting that song from Saturday’s Warrior!

242. psychochemiker says:

Brad, if the spirit’s still telling you to change, I’m not sure complaining to BCC is really going to help you much…

243. Tanya, I like twilight and took the quote to be that I can discern that on my own. Of course, I am not a sister.

244. I’ve always liked Elder Nelson. While still practicing medicine, he performed a life-saving surgery on a close relative of mine.

245. Natalie K. says:

#242 – Perhaps that’s why I am quick to see it in this one.

246. Tanya Spackman says:

Chris, since he focused on sisters, you’re in the clear ;-)

247. psychochemiker # 244,
    I’m afraid I have no earthly idea what you’re talking about.

248. Tanya Spackman says:

Brilliant talk, and one that will definitely need to be read.

249. Sweet.

250. I think it was Elder Nelson who brought “supernal” into LDS parlance, no? In the Special Witnesses of Christ film. Was it used earlier?

251. The brethren in the choir typically fare better in the wardrobe department than the sisters.

252. It’s tough to screw up a black suit, white shirt, and tie of any color.

253. Eddie, My thoughts exactly. Head to toe in lavender, yikes.

254. It’s interesting how many talks so far this weekend have mentioned personal revelation prominently.

255. psychochemiker says:

Boyd K Packer used Supernal back in 1975 here.

256. I don’t get all the lavender-dress hate. I think they are pretty. Trying to get 150 different women to look good in the same dress is always going to be a trial.

257. I think President Hinckley and his daughter Virginia Pearce may have spoken in the same session.

258. I’ve noticed that as well, Ray.

259. “Beautiful….Singing, and in appearance.”

Are you kidding me?!?!

260. President Monson likes the dresses….

261. apparently monson likes the dresses more than I do.

262. Tanya Spackman says:

“And what did you do for someone today?”

263. Supernal find, psychoche

264. During the introduction to the song, my daughter said, “Whoa, why four hands on one guy?”

265. #261-263 – there is a downside to a delay. Now, when he finally says that, it will be anti-climatic.

266. Supernal sitings in General conference before 1972:

1888 – Franklin D. Richards
    1940 – Stephen L. Richards
    1962 – Hugh B. Brown
    1969 – Hugh B. Brown

267. “serving the working uninsured” (as opposed to the laid-off uninsured? are they less deserving of health care?)

268. Shout out to health care reform?

269. alextvalencic says:

Not everyone in the world hates lavender.

270. Tanya Spackman says:

“Each of us can do something to help someone.”

271. The lavender looked just fine.

272. Stape: which site did you use?

273. Tanya Spackman says:

“Often times we live side by side but do not communicate heart to heart.”

274. Shout out to the teachings of a Methodist minister.

275. psychochemiker says:

wow, two second delay. I don’t think the delay is constant, it changes quite a bit.

276. Peter LLC says:

which site did you use?

Bunker hewn from granite.

277. Natalie K. says:

I also think the government-run free clinics in Philly are very effective, even though the people working there are paid. Does paying my city taxes count as service here?

278. haha nice Peter

279. btw: streaming KSL radio via the IPhone app is only about a 10 second delay

280. Tanya Spackman says:

“We become so caught up in the busyness of our life. Were we to step back, however, and take a good look at what we’re doing, we may find we’ve immersed ourselves in the thick of thin things. In other words, too often we spend most of our time taking care of the things which do not matter much in the grand scheme of things, neglecting those more important causes.”

281. For shame, Natalie. Peddle your socialistic wares elsewhere.

282. We can’t all build clinics… I”m reminded of Mother Teresa: “just small things with great love.”

283. Tanya Spackman says:

“We are the Lord’s hands here upon the earth, with a mandate to serve and lift his children. He is dependent on each of us.”

284. “We’ve immersed ourselves in the thick of thin things.”

This is a powerful message.

285. xenologue says:

AHAHA! We do “Warm Fuzzies” in theatre all the time for cast/crew!

286. #284 – He’s saying exactly that, Ariel.

287. I’m getting warm fuzzies all over.

288. “thick of thin things” is a quote from Holland, not sure when

289. BYU football should switch to lavender unis. Would make them more manly then they currently are.

290. Natalie K. says:

Re. 283:
    Does that mean I shouldn’t publicly interpret this whole talk as a call to activism?

Where’s my bullhorn?!

291. I’ll admit that Thomas S. Monson is not, nor has he ever been, my favorite speaker.

But that said, I think the main message he has to offer to the Church, is his extraordinary ethic of service. This is a hugely valuable contribution, and I’m glad he’s here to make it.

292. Children across the Church are cringing now at the thought of cleaning up stuff.

293. chad too, WHAT?! you mean i can listen through my iphone???

294. 281 — Chad — That may be reason enough to pay that $350 repentance fee.

295. #274 – NMS CD-ROM

296. psychochemiker says:

At least Monson teaches service as coming from a love of God instead of a tax imposed by the government. That’s the difference between church and state.

297. 292,
    Activism, socialism, and radical community organizing. Don’t you know how insidious the “service” spoken of here is, how threatening to patriotism and the memory of 9/11?!?!?

298. Natalie K. says:

Weepy man middle-of-the-talk moment. Ugh!

Before you jump on me, I’m kidding. Just pointing out that men cry too, not just women.

299. If there was enough service in the world to not have to rely on tax dollars, that would be great.

300. psychochemiker: shove it.

301. Natalie K. says:

#299: The service of the taxpayers got my husband treatment when he was sick when there were no doctors willing to do so for free. That gives me warm fuzzies.

302. Laurie in KC says:

#295 There are a number of cool LDS apps. We listened on the iPhone yesterday afternoon when we are out. All the Scriptures and manuals are on another app. The ward and stake lists are on another app. Very impressive use of technology!

303. psycho: when I know my taxes help those in need I don’t feel much of an imposition. :)

304. #302 – Amen, queuno.

These stories are awesome examples of “little things” that aren’t little at all.

305. queuno: Amen and Amen, brother.

306. Turning this into a political fight is pathetic. Stop now. You will be banned.

307. psychochemiker says:

Sorry BHodges. I’m not allowed to respond.
    I’m being censored by Chris Henrickson. That’s how he’s serving me today. Thanks Chris.

308. #303 – Chris, deep breath please. Service shows itself in many ways.

309. #305, I don’t even bring scriptures to church anymore, just my iPhone. I teach my primary lessons from it too. The downside is that people think you’re texting during sacrament meeting when you’re really just looking up a scripture.

310. alextvalencic says:

So Pres. Monson’s talk marks the first time I have ever heard reference to warm fuzzies outside of the drug prevention field.

311. Nobody ever sings this hymn right, although it is often quoted.

312. Hold on just a second while I ban J. Stapley…

313. The stories of the service of children have reduced me to tears.

314. This brings to mind that old BYU film “The mailbox.”

315. ending early again.

316. Ray, that was my charitable version. psychochemiker, that was meant sarcastically. Sorry. Natalie, I am with you.

317. 300–Are you all trying to get me to pay that fee to switch?

318. how is it sung incorrectly?

319. Natalie K. says:

“Turning this into a political fight is pathetic.”

We were fighting? :( I thought blog comments didn’t count as fighting until there were caps and exclamation points.

320. Laurie in KC says:

I love taxpayer supported service, in addition to volunteer service: military service, the Peace Corps, Americorps, Teach for America, Service-Learning, the Corporation for National and Community Service…all worthy causes. No where is it written in Scripture not to engage in good causes if they are taxpayer supported.

321. just saw my friend Edye in the choir! Woot!

322. Tanya Spackman says:

It’s not a true fight until Nazis are invoked.

323. When was the last time the final speaker say AMEN at 15 minutes before the hour?!?!

324. (Sorry, wasn’t trying to focus on the politics. Just trying to push us to more service. You wouldn’t have to pay taxes to clean up city parks if there were more service.)

325. You can listen to Conference on iPhone’s Mormon Channel app. I was out working yesterday and caught several talks on my iPhone. I think Blackberry also has that app, right? Or perhaps it is being developed.

326. Yeah, Nazis or Teach for America!

327. Natalie K. says:

You all have the closing song? I haven’t even hit Monson’s amen.

This sorta feels like fighting with one arm behind my back.

328. xenologue says:

A friend and I used to sing:

Have I played any tricks in the ward today
    Have I done a mischievous deed?
    Have I done something bad
    And made someone get mad
    If not I have failed indeed

Has anyone’s life been made harder today
    Because I had nothing to do?
    If you thought it was funny, then don’t laugh too loud
    Cuz next time the joke is on you…

(we never quite worked out the chorus, but it started out “So wake up, and don’t turn your back, there’s no telling what I might do…”)

329. psychochemiker says:

J Stapley.
    I find it quite inappropriate to allow CH’s comments to stand and ban mine.
    I don’t know how “shove it” is appropriate is allowed.
    Good bye J.
    Wish you the best, but you’re not fair.

330. Anne (U.K.) says:

anyone else still absent mindedly launch into the line about ‘the world has no need of the drone’ when singing this in sacrament mtg?

331. the rhythm in the hymnbook for “doing good is a treasure/a joy beyond measue/ a blessing of duty and love” is supposed to be scotch snaps (sixteenth note followed by dotted eighth). Nobody does it because it is awkward, but that is what is written. Not even the choir sings it right.

“doing good is a TREAsure a joy beyond MEAsure…” etc.

332. Appropriate song, given the last talk. (Yes, I’m on a delay.)

333. kewinters says:

Interesting arrangement.

334. Ben,

I hope you do not become a GA. That weepy stuff annoys everyone. (Luckily, I am out of the running for other reasons).

335. I love the focus on service. We definitely need more citizens of every nation focused on giving service to others.

336. Blackberry is slow to develop anything. If anyone knows any good mormon apps, let me know. Space is limiting too though.

337. But the Mormon Channel app doesn’t get you Greg Wrubell and the Cougars when the evil The Mtn. decrees you don’t get to watch the football game without submitting to their Nazi usury.

338. chad too is my hero. i may ditch the stake center this afternoon! THANK YOU! you just made this mother’s load lighter!

339. xeno: your song makes my primary attempt at parody songs look foolish. “surf, palm trees and play/are the things that I must do…”

340. #337- I’m writing a letter to SLC recommending you for future service as a GA. :-)

341. t’weren’t nuthin…

342. Just finished Pres M’s talk and I loved it. I feel so inspired!

343. His tie for the win!!!!

344. Laurie in KC says:

Chelseaw #311–I teach my Gospel Principles class using the iPhone, too! Very nifty–and looking up the scriptures in the lessons in a snap! The highlighting feature is cool, also.

345. psychochemiker,
    I just sprung your comment from purgatory. I hope you feel better.

346. TIME FOR BELGIAN WAFFLES!!!!!

347. (I mean the guy giving the closing prayer)

348. xenologue says:

BHodges> Oh, we expended quite a bit of effort on our parody songs. We were especially known for a rousing, off-key rendition of “Young and Single”, to the tune of “Called to Serve”. Brought the house down.

349. psychochemiker,

I said sorry. Both of our comment are still there. Peace be unto you.

350. Agreed, Melissa S.

351. Natalie K. says:

I know it will be a long time yet before there are any conference talks given not in English, but do you think we’ll see prayers in native languages any time soon? I would LOVE that.

352. Tanya Spackman says:

I spotted a couple light blue ties on the GAs. I really like light blue ties. They’re my favorite tie color.

353. But the Mormon Channel app doesn’t get you Greg Wrubell and the Cougars when the evil The Mtn. decrees you don’t get to watch the football game without submitting to their Nazi usury.

Wait, you root for BYU and their incompetent choice of incompetent broadcoast networks? (IMO, they deserve the loss of a generation’s worth of fans they are currently experiencing.)

354. I am starting to think seriously about that iphone thing though. Even if I do have to pay the penalty.

355. I love that the wives of the 12 and 1st Presidency were seated on the stand and greeted their husbands at the end of the session. That was awesome!!

356. Natalie K. says:

Ooh, Melissa had her eyes open during the prayer!!!!

357. Prayers would be even more impossible, that will probably never happen because prayers are even more unscripted.

358. It is cool to see the exit process in more detail since it got over early.

359. xenologue says:

Natalie> HOW DO YOU KNOW?? :D LOL

360. Tanya Spackman says:

Melissa, I missed the praying guy’s tie. I had to rewind. Now my eyes are bleeding!

361. queuno, I don’t completely disagree, though a good portion of the blame rests on pressure from the Mountain West conference as well as local football leadership.

362. Natalie K. says:

I actually missed the guy’s tie because as soon as the closing song hit, my husband switched the TV to football on mute and we only listened to the last part.

363. Oooh, Natalie, thanks for the football reminder. I almost forgot.

364. I like the obvious love and gentleness of the greetings between the spouses – and the fact that a couple of the widowers in the 12 were supporting each other as they walked out. That sight choked me up a bit.

365. Chris, hopefully we’ll get called at the same time so we can sit by each other.

366. I always pray with my eyes open. I’m a rebel like that…

367. Turning this into a fight about BYU football is pathetic. I’m watching you, Chad and queuno…

368. Natalie K. says:

Is political fighting okay now that we’re between sessions?

369. alextvalencic says:

I imagine that, logistically, it just makes sense to have everything spoken in English, and then translated. Imagine the difficulty of having folks who can translate every language to every other language! (Maybe when the Church buys Google and uses their translation services…)

370. the fact that a couple of the widowers in the 12 were supporting each other as they walked out

For me, this was the highlight of the session, seriously. Just amazing.

371. Natalie,

We should just agree that you and I are right and leave the fight for a different time.

372. (There is no mtn without BYU and Utah. They deserve the product they got.)

I loved the choice of primary songs in this session.

373. alextvalencic says:

On a completely unrelated note, after our contract with Comcast basic cable is used up, I am pretty certain I will suggest that my wife and I get some sort of satellite programming so we can watch conference on TV, rather than on her computer…

374. Haven’t heard from Holland yet… saving the big guns?

375. alextvalencic says:

Ben #377, I always imagined the Twelve drawing lots for their conference speaking order.

376. No Holland or Christofferson.

377. Alex, you missed the whole discussion of translators yesterday. Someone calculated that you would need about 1 x 10^142 translators.

378. In wards I have lived in with simultaneous translators, the prayers were not translated.

379. Nothing that doesn’t appear in the church periodicals requires translating.

380. I’m pretty sure the GC translators translate the prayers. At least the Chinese ones do.

381. They do. But it isn’t necessary is what I’m saying.

382. Okay, yeah, I agree.

383. Rigel Hawthorne says:

Given all the talks on love, I would think it would be perfect if the tabernacle choir sang the song “What the world needs now is love, sweet love.”

Did anyone else here a chime in the middle of the conference? Does that coincide with each hour?

Beautiful Zion Built Up Above….
    what memories of the Japanese pseudolyrics that are ubiquitous among missionaries in Japan…

384. When I worked at a radio station in Provo, we used to get advanced copies of the talks and speaking order. I miss that.

385. I love the focus on service….I just wish it can reach the local membership/leadership! Countless Potlucks and picnics are great but years without a service project is sad. Yeah, I said years.

Also when we will see a sister offering a prayer in General Conference?

386. psychochemiker says:

Ben,
    That was me, but I did it wrong. I did the math for ordering not translating. It’s even worse.

Translating every single language into every other for 92 languages would be 91^92 which is 1E180. Yeah, not that many people in the world.

387. The chime you heard, Rigel, may have been the Nauvoo Bell.

My husband does simultaneous translation and translates the prayers (except for the sacrament prayers). YMMV.

I now suspect I dreamed this, but I remember a prayer in Chinese at the RS sesquicentennial broadcast.

388. I’m no math major, but why isn’t it just 92 times 92?

389. Jessica–If we ever see a sister offering a prayer in GC, I’m sure it will be a closing prayer.

390. “just 92 times 92″

“a hundred million here and a hundred million there and pretty soon it adds up to some real money”

391. Left Field says:

#392: Either that, or an opening prayer, depending on which version of the unwritten rule you apply.

392. @Rigel (#386),

Beautiful Zion Built Up Above….

So this hymn is big in Japan too? It was certainly big in Hong Kong (see my comment #46 above).

393. Liberal Mormon says:

Good session this morning

394. I just popped in to see if I was the only person who was weirded out by the smiling Sister Dibb talking about the scaffolding deaths. Apparently I wasn’t. What was that about? Creepers.

395. alextvalencic says:

Okay, you know, I really feel like chiming in on this whole unwritten rule thing here to point out that, at least hereabouts, it doesn’t exist. As the Exec Sec, I have the great fun of asking folks to pray in sacrament meeting and I’ve done all the prayer combinations: brother-brother, brother-sister, sister-brother, and sister-sister. There has not yet been any protest. So what’s the deal?

(And yes, I know it has been discussed at great length elsewhere, so I don’t expect a discussion of it here, but I just wanted to call out a BS on this claim.)

396. alextvalencic, of course it’s BS (I suspect those mentioning it here would agree), but that doesn’t keep the women-aren’t-worthy-to-pray rule from being perpetuated under the name of an “unwritten rule.”

But, hey, while you’re calling out, maybe you can contact one of my last FOUR bishops/stake presidents (Boca Raton, Florida; Orem, Utah; Eagle Mountain, Utah; Lindon, Utah). They all think it’s doctrine and trying to discuss it just gets you labeled a heretic.

397. Note that I just posted a new thread for the afternoon session!

398. alextvalencic says:

See, Alison, that just adds to my reasons to not live in Utah. ;-) Okay, time to get geared up for the last session!

399. Allison, I haven’t read the comments. But me and my husband were totally creeped out. She must have been really nervous—or something. It was very very weird.

400. Or Florida, or my Boca bishop’s previous stake on the East Coast, or any of the other multitudes of states that have stakes that implement this policy.

After writing that post a number of years ago, the feedback I get is that about a third of the wards seem to do this. Often people don’t even realize it until they hear about it and start paying attention.

401. I just returned from the conference center for the morning session. Pres. Monson’s talk was for the me greatest and most prophetic talk I have ever heard in General Conference. I struggled from the beginning to keep my tears held back, as was so much of those around me who were wiping the creeping tears from their own eyes.

402. Left Field says:

Did Bishop Burton’s remarks remind anyone else of these Tom Lehrer lyrics?