The Illuminated Matsby, Vol. 5

Another Image of Faith and Devotion

What is the Hebrew word for 'friend'?

________________________

The Illuminated Matsby, Vol. 5

Comments

1. The Moria doors seem to say to me “shhh, speak friend.”

Mellon Baller?

3. It has no handle. Only you can let him into your dark, deep, creepy, dead-dwarf, goblin and balrog stuffed heart.

4. This is just confusing. I thought Aragorn was Jesus, not Gandalf.

5. Moria in Excelsis Deo

6. No staff, no grey hair, no grey robe, looks like Aragorn to me.

7. I Cuilië Hristo.

8. I can’t believe how many people told me I was using the wrong verb. Seriously, I just can’t believe it. So many people. :-)

I Coirëa Hristo

9. I just have to say that whoever put that snake article on the sidebar should be taken out and beaten. Really.

You’re welcome!

11. I resisted the temptation to look at the link in the sidebar, but after McQ’s comment, of course it was impossible to resist.

And I agree, Steve. Really? I’m ROFP.

12. Great, now I have to re-do my thesis proposal!

13. It’s not like we didn’t warn you!

14. I read the: “Don’t read this paper about snakes. And blood. Don’t, seriously.” and was going to stay away.

Then I read “ew.”

The eleven year old in me couldn’t resist.

The eleven year old is satisfied.

15. Eric Russell says:

Will the Hebrew word work, or does he need the Aramaic one?

Speaking of sidebar material, here’s something for you: check out the file photo for this article on pre-marital cohabitation.

16. Silly, Eric. Clearly the creative director is illustrating how if you use the relationship tips on the LiveStrong website, you can live in sin and get to know each other, then marry civilly, and then after a year or so of hard work and because you’ve been using those relationship tips, be sealed in the SLC temple.

17. Karen H. says:

“This is just confusing. I thought Aragorn was Jesus, not Gandalf.”

Gandalf is the holy ghost.

18. Notice in the image that there’s no door handle. Yeah, notice that. Gives you goose bumps, huh? Yep.

Karen H. — If Gandalf is the Holy Ghost, who is Lady Galadriel?

19. “Gandalf is the holy ghost.”
    Or at least, the Holy Ghost as he should have been ;)

Modern Hebrew for friend is ḥavēr, I believe. bib. Hebrew rēa’, and (Targumic) Aramaic rǝḥēym

20. Strictly speaking, Gandalf represents the Prophet, Frodo the Priest, and Aragorn the King. All three function as Christ-figures. See Peter Kreeft’s Christianity in the Lord of the Rings: Apologetics in Tolkien’s Classic.

21. Thomas Parkin says:

I think, actually, that is Radagast the Brown.

(deep deep geek, for the win, methinks) ~

gotta go deeper than that if you want to outgeek us, TP.

23. How about this?

24. BJohnson says:

“gotta go deeper than that if you want to outgeek us, TP”

Definitely! Come on, at least refer to him as Aiwendil.

Agreed. Any time you’re dealing with one of the Maiar it’s just good form to use their name in Quenya.

26. Steve G. says:

I’m just glad nobody brought up Tom Bombadil, whose absence form Peter Jackson’s movie made the story less long and much more enjoyable.

27. I feel a little like Jane Goodall watching the co-interaction of the often elusive uber-geek species. Fascinating. Their interplay is so much more complex than the simple comic-book geek.

28. I believe in the Lord of the Rings (insofar as it is translated correctly by members of BCC.)

29. “Will the Hebrew word work, or does he need the Aramaic one?”

Whichever is closest to the original Elvish, or Adamic, for the low brow.

30. 26. Although I made the original post, I would more likely put myself in the “simple comic-book geek” category.

Nuff said.

31. #26 — I’ve often referred to the Tom Bombadil portion as the 2nd Nephi of the Lord of the Rings Trilogy.