General Conference: Live from Salt Lake, it’s SATURDAY MORNING!

Welcome to By Common Consent’s live coverage of the 180th Annual General Conference on this freezing cold Saturday morning in Salt Lake City! BCC is pleased to provide near-continuous live commentary, photography, and other goodies throughout the weekend’s activities. Don’t forget to check out our minute-by-minute coverage on Twitter in addition to coverage on the blog. We also encourage you to (if you’re not already doing so) watch Conference live, streaming from LDS.org.

A couple of ground rules for participation today:
1. Don’t be rude (unless you’re an admin)
2. Don’t dominate conversation (unless you’re witty)
3. Don’t criticize the speakers (unless they tell unfunny jokes)

Conference will be starting in about 10-15 minutes, and right now the GA’s are filing in slowly. Most of them are wearing dark, conservatively colored suits. Charcoals, blacks, and dark, dark greys appear to be in style this conference.

How is everyone watching conference today? Internet? TV? Direct Revelation from on high? Any problems with streaming quality on the interwebs?

President Uchtdorf is conducting, and is giving the welcome, introducing the MoTab choir (Men in magenta, Women in black), GA’s, and the opening prayer. First talk to follow soon!

————————
President Monson is giving the semi-expected update on happenings for the Church in the past six months–mostly a summary of humanitarian efforts and temple building. This year marks the 25th anniversary of humanitarian efforts being integrated officially into the program of the Church.

Early nominee for quote of the Conference:

“You can’t keep one of these Swedish girls down.”

Very nice to hear President Monson going off script and talking about his personal life a bit–telling some great anecdotes from his early courtship with his wife Frances, who is attending today after recovering well from surgeries since last conference. Very touching remarks, and a nice start to conference.

———-
President Packer opening statement:

“Years ago we began correlation under the direction of President Harold B. Lee.”

Brad Kramer and other BCCers, I urge you to control yourselves!

“the priesthood will lose great power if the sisters are neglected.”

“…distributing the authority of the priesthood has raced, I think, ahead of distributing the power of the priesthood.”

“The authority of the priesthood is with us. After all that we have correlated and organized, it is now our responsibility to active the power of the priesthood in the Church. Authority in the priesthood comes by way of ordination; power in the priesthood comes through faithful and obedient living in honoring covenants. It is increased by exercising and using the priesthood in righteousness.”

—————
President Julie B. Beck:

“A good woman must constantly resist alluring and deceptive messages from many sources, telling her that she is entitled to more time away from her responsibilities and that she deserves a life of greater ease and independence.”

“Women should be women and not babies that need petting and correction all the time. I know we like to be appreciated but if we do not get all the appreciation which we think is our due, what matters?”

Well, there you have it! Discuss.
——————-
Bishop McMullin’s talk on duty has been great–sorry I’ve been unable to get some quotes for you. I had a bit of technical failure. Regardless, Bishop McMullin gave several definitions and blessings related to duties that we have as LDS, including keeping our covenants, worshiping the Father in Heaven, etc…
—————–

Time for a quick singing break, then Elder Anderson of the 70, followed by Elder Ballard, then the choir again. Whew.

From the Twittersphere:

RT @brycehaymond: To paraphrase the first two talks: Pres. Packer – Men, man up; Pres. Beck – Women, man up. #ldsconf

—————
Everything you ever wanted to know about Wilford W. Anderson: http://bit.ly/aOEclU
He’s got a degree in economics (Yay!) from BYU (Boo!)

Quoting the diary of Sarah D’Armon (Pea) Rich!!!! Booyah!! My GGG Grandmother, first wife of Charles C. Rich. Elder Anderson is my new favorite General Authority.

Elder W. Anderson, commenting on the efforts of the Church in Haiti after the devastating earthquake in Port-au-Prince:

“The nine chapels in and around Port-au-Prince were mostly undamaged — another remarkable miracle. During the weeks that followed the earthquake, they became shelters for over 5,000 Haitians and bases from which food, water, and medical attention were distributed…Though the faithful Haitian saints have suffered greatly, they are filled with hope for the future.”

Elder Anderson comments on depression:

“I do not wish to minimize the reality of clinical depression. For some, solutions to depression and anxieties will be found through consultation with competent professionals. But for most of us, sadness and fear begin to melt away and are replaced by happiness and peace when we put our trust in the Author of the plan of happiness…”

It would seem that we’re trying to get as many statements as possible that will ignite “energetic” discussion from a single session of conference…sigh.
——————-
Elder M. Russell Ballard: “Mothers and Daughters”:

“…all women have within their divine nature both the inherent talent and the stewardship to mother…”

“Love your mother, my young sisters. Respect her. Listen to her. Trust her. She has your best interests at heart. She cares about your eternal safety and happiness. So be kind to her. Be patient with her imperfections, for she has them. We all do.”

Elder Ballard gives a shout out to Facebook and text messages…always the tech-guru of the 12!

Elder Ballard notes that he has been speaking to youth and parents together for three consecutive conferences. Last conference, it was fathers and sons, and today it’s mothers and daughters. “I hope you’re listening and see a pattern and hear a steady, consistent message…”

One talk to go…Choir singing now…a perfect chance to check out more photos from the Conference Center! http://bit.ly/9pbZRq

——————
President Eyring to conclude the session this morning!

President Eyring is speaking on the need to teach and aid children when they are young to ensure that they have a foundation of gospel living to sustain them later in life. It’s a very touching talk, one that–in his natural way–shows the love and kindness that seems to flow from Pres. Eyring. Difficult to type, because I just get kind of stuck listening to him.

“The two programs (Personal Progress and Duty to God) have been improved but their purpose remains unchanged.”

What have been your recent experiences with the efficacy of these programs?

What a great talk to end the session with. Choir to sing, benediction, and lunchtime at Crown Burger (maybe?)! Thanks to everyone for participating, and we’ll see you back here in about 2 hours!

Comments

1. I’m really happy that I was able to get the feed up almost instantly with 10 minutes to go before conference starts. Hopefully there aren’t as many technical issues this year!

2. audio stream on http://www.lds.org

3. Tanya Spackman says:

I just turned to BYUTV, opened BCC, and am ready to absorb the Spirit.

4. I’m also ready to state my opinion on the ties the brethren are wearing. I feel it’s important to focus on things that matter, ya know?

That’s my favorite part of BCC conference coverage, Tanya. Been waiting for it for 6 months. ;)

5. Got the feed up easily, Twitter is open, and we’re ready to go.

6. Tanya Spackman says:

Pres. Uchtdorf’s tie is a winner! He always has good ties. I love silver ties.

7. And, we’re underway. Do we get to know the speakers ahead of time?

8. I don’t trust your objectivity, RE: Uchtdorf’s tie. I suspect the man could be wearing purple with florescent green and you’d be singing its praised. :)

9. Pres. Uchtdorf is magnificent. What a hero.

10. Tanya Spackman says:

Brad, is it because you know I’m swayed by the beauty of his hair?

11. And the choir ties all match again. Amazing.

12. His hair, his suntanned skin, his resonant yet gentle voice, his jawline… you get the picture.

13. Tanya Spackman says:

I HATE the sunshine songs! Blech!

14. The word of this session is FAMILY. A bowl of gummies await to be raided by the kids whenever someone uses that word in their remarks.

15. I would really love to see a list of speakers ahead of time. Perhaps if the crowd prefers it not be public (like last fall) it could be emailed to some of us?

16. If I were Uchtdorf, and I had heard of getting referred to as the Silver Fox, I would wear a silver tie as a sort of nod, like “yeah, I know guys. Hi!”

But that’s just me. :P

17. Elder Kikuchi is a spiritual giant.

18. Pres. Uchtdorf visited the MTC while one of my companions was there. He was wearing a pink tie. Of course the missionaries were jealous.

19. Tanya Spackman says:

President Monson’s tie didn’t thrill me upon first sight, but it’s growing on me. It looks good on him.

20. “She’s a great girl”
    HAHAHAHA

21. The only downside to watching Conference on the church’s website is that the video feed is lagged. So you guys are all about five minutes ahead of me!

22. Tanya Spackman says:

Woot for the Navy!

23. Is it just me, or does Pres. Monson seem to be ad-libbing a bit? His laughter doesn’t sound rehearsed. =)

24. Okay, maybe it is only a two-minute lag. Still! No fair!

25. Tanya Spackman says:

Based on the closed captioning lag during much of it, definitely ad-libbing.

26. Seriously, the lag-time is a drag.

27. Same kissing story from last conference.

28. He dropped his usual cadence, so I figured as much.

29. He’s thoroughly enjoying himself here!

30. bah, I had a typo in my username and didn’t even know it.

31. My uncle thinks that the reminiscing means she isn’t doing well; that he’s thinking of healthier days. I don’t know… maybe he’s just happy? Regardless, I’m sure the translators were horrified at all the ad-libbing.

32. Tanya Spackman says:

A lot of the MoTab members no longer seem old to me, so this must be yet another sign I am advancing in age and will soon be really old!

33. I’m loving Monson’s not-so-planned-sounding segments!

34. CORRELATION!!!!

35. It seems I’ve read a series about this recently… :-)

36. The key word was… PRIESTHOOD!
    The BCC correlation series is making me giggle and hug my fiance (who also lurks here). We are both really enjoying the series.

37. “The whole operating face of the church was changed.”

38. Tanya Spackman says:

President Packer’s tie alone is nice (as I said earlier, I like silver ties), but a silver tie with a gray suit is a bit too monochromatic for my tastes. Still, good tie.

39. BKP’s not looking well. Anyone know what’s up, or is it just time passing?

40. I am trying to convince myself that President Packer lurks on BCC and chose Brad and Daymon’s series as the inspiration for his talk…

41. Eric Russell says:

byu.tv is less delayed.

42. Inspiration or object of reprimand?

43. Is it wrong that I use the hymns to try to catch up to the live feed after starting 10 minutes late? They just don’t do it for me.

44. It’s not wrong, and I love your moniker.

45. The attack on the gummies has begun.

46. Packer wasn’t looking well last conference either.

47. Kristine says:

Awesome. Women are important because of their influence on men. Sigh.

48. LDesque (43) I am going to try to get byu tv to load during the next hymn. I love the hymns, but I know them, so I don’t feel bad about missing them. I don’t want to miss any of the talks, though.

49. Restraint, Brad. Restraint…

50. Cynthia L. says:

HaHa, Kristine, I thought of you when I heard that line!

Did anybody notice if Uchdorf called Julie “President Beck” or “Sister Beck”? Somebody with DVR return and report.

51. Kristine says:

Well, at least he can’t be accused of chicken patriarchy!

52. Just turn the volume down a little, Brad, count to 100 and wait for the next talk . . .

53. Serenity now!

54. Thanks Brad! I felt clever when I came up with it. Also, it suits me.

Alex, same here. I’ll admit one of the main reasons I want to be caught up is for the sake of following this discussion right here!

55. Someday I would like to be important because I am me, and not because I had a couple of male children I can influence.

56. Caraway says:

@50: Neither – no prefatory title at all. “Julie B. Beck, General president …” I noticed for you.

57. Kristine – haha, way to be….positive? (~.^)

58. Starfoxy says:

Cynthia- “Sister Beck, President of the Relief Society”

59. Steve M says:

@50,

I’m not listening, but I would be very, very surprised if he said anything other than “Sister Julie B. Beck.”

60. Starfoxy says:

That’s right, Sister Julie B. Beck

61. Caraway says:

I didn’t hear any “Sister” and I was listening for it.

62. Tanya Spackman says:

#50, I was listening specifically for this, and he said “Sister”.

63. Caraway says:

The sisters have it.

64. I second that: I went back and listened: President Uchtdorf referred to her as “Sister Julie B. Beck, Relief Society General President.”

65. Anyone else see the lurker in the background of the screen? Behind Packer?

66. He said Sister Julie B. Beck

67. “the priesthood, given to the church to protect and guide it…”
    (was that a response to the correlation series?)

68. Cynthia L. says:

Oh, and while I’m printing one of these out for my kids, I’ll pass along the link: Sugardoodle’s 2010 General Conference Packets for Junior Primary, Senior Primary and Youth.

69. You say “lurker,” I say “stalker.” I’m thinking Bryce Haymond…

70. Tanya Spackman says:

I like Pres. Beck’s hair. I like her suit and jewelry too.

71. 65 — I think that was Pres. Packer’s secret service detail.

72. Kristine says:

I’ve heard that President Packer has been using oxygen most of the time lately, and the lurker is a respiratory therapist.

73. My son just asked me why Sister Beck’s picture wasn’t in his GC packet, and so does he need to write down what he learned from her talk?

74. Yeah, mmiles, that seems a bit unfair. Surely she is capable of positively influencing men with her talk?

75. ….that makes me sad, 72.

76. I am glad that Pres. Beck is not wearing electric pink! Anyone know what the lapel pin is?

77. I’m really enjoying this talk- I think it’s more empowering for women than talks have typically been in the past. Could be better, but still. A woman’s power comes from her right to personal revelation, not from the men in her life, even her priesthood leadership or her ability to raise [male] children.

78. It says “A Good Woman.”

I jest. I have no idea.

79. It kind of looks like there is a coffin behind the speakers.

80. I actually really like that she avoids the GC-female-voice, that she speaks as one having authority (so to speak).

81. Check out photos from the conference center! http://bit.ly/9pbZRq

82. 79- amen.

83. Yeah her tone of voice makes her much easier to listen to.

84. Eliza R. Snow! yay!

85. Tanya Spackman says:

Though her talk is fine (good topic, presented well), coming right after Pres. Packer’s talk, it seems… a let down. Pres. Packer’s talk was more directed to/about men, and her’s is to/about women, and to hear them right after one another, right next to each other in the order, I feel… kind of like I’m getting the short end of things as a woman. I don’t normally feel that way, but having it laid out this way… I do.

86. #72 Ouch.

87. Jon Jon,
    As Pres. Monson emphasized, the Church has been doing much of late to promote social justice. The coffin contains the embalmed corpse of Vladimir Lenin.

88. Kristine says:

She looks tired, kind of, and earnest, like her job weighs on her.

89. 79- agreed. I really appreciate that about her right now.

90. “Women should be women, to be themselves, not babies to be petted and corrected all the time.” YAY!

91. she’s got the powerthumb down

92. Tanya Spackman says:

Okay, I’m liking her talk more as it goes on.

93. It is a good talk, particularly when read as a subtle rebuttal to the one that preceded it.

94. Brad
    I hope they bring him out at half time.

95. LDS.org wanted me to go to the General Conference beta site and install the Move player. I did that, and got nothing. After rebooting, I went there again, and saw, lower on the page, the note that the Move player has problems with Firefox 3.6 — the most Firefox version which I just installed. Aargh.
    Switched to the Windows Media stream, and am watching it in RealPlayer.

96. I really appreciate what she’s doing here. I loved that quote.

97. Jon Jon,
    They’re reanimating his body to give a talk on 19th-century Mormon economics. Scott leaked me the speaker list.

98. Tanya Spackman says:

Bishop McMullin’s tie is fine. I don’t love it, I don’t hate it. It’s tie, it looks fine, it provides a nice splash of color.

99. Kristine says:

Scott–can you confirm that the “babies” line is part of the ERS quotation?

100. His tone is a little bit sleep-inducing. Very calm; his inflections are good but I can’t help but think he’d be a good narrator for a PBS nature show.

101. Julie M. Smith says:

And DB places a large order for copies of _The Hiding Place_.

102. The “babies” part was heard clearly by everyone I’m with… I hope it makes it to the transcript.

103. Julie,
    They made that order days ago… ;)

104. I just hope that the choir doesn’t sing any of those crappy “Come thou…” songs. Seriously, outside of overwrought songs beloved by Christians with no taste, who starts songs with the imperative “Come thou…”?

105. Kieth McMullin. Radio voice. Get’s the draw again.

106. Why be so cute by 1/2, how about listening?

107. comment 79 Amen

108. Ariel, I was just thinking he sounds like the announcer at Disneyland. :)

109. I am seeing a lot of red ties today. I was hoping for more Easter-pastels among the brethren.

110. Screw listening. I’d rather be too cute by any fraction.

111. #72—yeah I just printed out the Sugardoodle conference packets for my kids and while I LOVE the tie coloring activity (isn’t that what we “adults” comment on here at BCC too?) I was sad just now when I realized no Julie Beck in the ties. No Presiding Bishop either—how will my kids listen to this talk! ;-)

112. DKL, everyone knows _cute_ is the first word that springs to mind with you…

113. I really hope that they condemn the Pope for protecting child molesters and then invoking images of the holocaust to defend himself.

What ever happened to the good old days, when the brethren still talked about the Whore of Babylon?

114. Tanya Spackman says:

“Lifeless lump of clay.” He knows me well!

115. See? ;)

116. 109. And you get what you’re looking for

117. mental note: look us that JFS quote on “man is nothing without god” later on. (even if its been correlated, its good)

118. Thanks to my nephews, whenever I hear the word duty I think doodie. As in I did a doodie.

119. Those were the days, DKL…

120. “babies” and “petting” are both in the original quote and she left them in as is.

121. Love me some Corrie ten Boom.

122. I can’t stop smiling during this talk, thinking about the Friends episode with Chandler mistaking “duty” for “doody”

123. DKL- Cuteness aside, You have been particularly ornery lately. Are you OK?

124. Can anyone link to the original babies needing petting quote?

125. FHL
    You totally stole my funny.

126. And Brad, there’s no way BKP reads BCC. On the other hand Pres. U. *does* read boap.org.

127. Ariel- She said women are NOT babies needing petting. I have to agree with her. I. for one, am thankful SIster Beck does not speak in a high-pitched breathy baby voice.

128. Tanya Spackman says:

I’m glad it’s not another sunshine song.

129. Too true, wvs. Maybe an underling of an underling put the series on someone’s radar screen, and someone who was an original player in the events (ie BKP) thought to mention it in his talk. Even that’s probably a stretch…

130. Kristine says:

DKL–you’re about 1 more over-the-top comment from the mod queue. Just sayin.

131. 127- I know, I’m having trouble finding the original quote though.

132. Tanya Spackman says:

Another red tie. All we’ve had is silver and red.

I’m not really into stripes, but the tie looks fine. I’m not sure red is his color, though.

133. Brad, my friend who works for the church history dept told me that “everyone” (read it as you will) who works in the church office building reads BCC.

134. Happy Easter, Kristine!

135. Ariel,
    Don’t say things like that. Our heads are already way too big…

136. Tanya Spackman says:

A 30-yr-old mission president. Wow.

137. Scott, was that your GGG Grandmother??

138. the bishop in my first area was was 26 or so, and a member of 2 years. that kind of thing happens outside the jello belt

139. Mention of the Haiti earthquake connects with the 3rd verse of “Guide Us O Thou Great Jehovah” just sung. “When the earth begins to tremble …”
    Living in California, I’ve frequently thought that this hymn is the hymn to sing after a quake.

140. Kristine, you’re one more comment moderation from me using my holy priesthood to pronounce a curse upon you.

141. Tanya Spackman says:

Young bishops are common, but that’s the youngest I’ve heard for a mission president.

142. Martin Luther and the SBC are getting the shakes.

143. Ariel,
    Color me deeply, deeply skeptical.

144. Kristine says:

:) I’ll look forward to it, DKL.

145. 123 – I don’t think it’s online anywhere. The source citation will be published soon and we’ll know where it’s from.

146. “I do not want to downplay the reality of clinical depression…” very astute and inclusive. i like

147. Re: 121 FHL

Oh, good, it’s not just me! Doodies! *snickers*

148. Hope may not depend on our circumstances, but the hope for the Haitians depended on a hope for an improvement in their circumstances.

149. Tanya Spackman says:

You know, this talk is a bit low key, but I think upon reading it later this week, this one may be a favorite.

150. “Seriously, outside of overwrought songs beloved by Christians with no taste, who starts songs with the imperative “Come thou…”?”

The answer to that would be:

1. Canadian children’s-book authors.
    2. Famous English poets (whose most well-known writings involve mind-altering substances)
    3. Extremely famous English playwrights generally held as a top literary mind in the history of the language.

Other than that, no one I could find on short notice.

151. I also liked the acknowledgement of serious depression.

152. Tanya Spackman says:

A blue tie! Variety!

Nevertheless… meh. I love blue, but stripes… meh.

153. ballard speaking to the women- I hope this is good. So far, he’s discussing how mothers are good at raising *daughters,* not sons. :D

154. Word choice Elder Ballard, Word choice.

155. #146: with a *hat tip* to Jon Jon, who mentioned it first.

(my wife was not amused at my amusement)

156. Tanya Spackman says:

I’m not a mother, and I’m old enough that it’s now clear that I’ll never be a mother, so this is definitely not a talk directed to me, even though I’m female.

157. I am glad that Elder Ballard is giving props to the women. “We may try, but we can never replicate your gifts.”

158. Tanya , you aren’t a leader, mentor, role model to anyone? huh

159. Tanya Spackman says:

But what he says about popular culture is spot on.

160. Tanya – my wife is not a mother, but she nurtures the young children in our Primary class in a way that I cannot. Isn’t this a general theme taught by the Church?

161. Now I’m feeling guilty that I only talk to my mother every couple of months or so. Sigh.

162. Live Blogging Conference — Including the Priesthood Session — at:

163. Tanya Spackman says:

#156, maybe, but those are thinks not limited to women. But I’m not a mother.

164. Is that the first General Conference reference to Facebook?

165. “We may try, but we can never replicate your gifts.”

If he’s referring to birthing abilities, I don’t like the idea that my wife’s gifts are limited to a biological function.

If he’s referring to “nurturing,” I don’t like that my abilities to be a loving and nurturing father are minimalized.

166. Tanya Spackman says:

#158 – I see Primary as one of the levels of hell. So no, not even remotely the same thing.

167. the narrator, Apparently we can’t replicate your gifts either, since Elder Packer made it so clear that women have no authority to preside in our homes in any way.

168. Yes Kristine… we know.

Nobody really understands you. But bear with it, and try not to be too upset with Elder Ballard for having the cheek to talk about women – even though he’s a man.

169. I was speaking more generally of women nurturing children in the ward, whether they are mothers or not.

170. maybe we should replace the “divine nature” value in YW with “Ability to Nuture” since apparently that’s the same thing. *sigh*

171. I may not discuss these issues with my mother, but I discuss it at length in the Bloggernacle!!

172. I love the nod to “mean girls” and “gossip girl”

173. #167 is in response to a comment that seems to have disappeared. Mods can feel free to delete-away.

174. Hi Seth-Threadjack here. Has 9Moons disappeared or is there something wrong with my computer in regards to 9Moons? Whatever the reason, I have missed you guys.

175. Chelsea, for that reason I didn’t care for Packer’s limiting my and my wife’s abilities either.

176. 164- yes. I heard that comment as reminiscent of the “women are more righteous” idea as well.

177. The blog software had problems. Rusty said he was working on it.

178. 164, etc: I heard Elder Ballard saying that men and women are different, and that is all there is to it. Even though this talk has been on the relationship between mothers and daughters, I am trying to be charitable toward Elder Ballard, and not feel he is limiting women’s roles to making babies and teaching daughters to make babies.

179. Well, put a fire under Rusty’s butt, I need my 9Moons fix!

180. Mommie Dearest says:

You’d think an imac could stream the video. grrrr. going back to the tee vee

181. Tanya Spackman says:

Okay, I need to stop referencing comments by number when I reply because the blog overlords are mad deleters! (Not a criticism, just an observation.)

182. Just read your comments at the Apple Store in SLC. Typing this on the new i-Pad. Could be a sweet way to watch conference. The crowds are about as big as at the Conference Center.

183. Considering how little I’ve published over at 9M in the past year, it’s hardly my place to light a fire under anybody’s butt.

184. Choir singing now…a perfect chance to check out more photos from http://bit.ly/9pbZRq

185. Kristine says:

Nah, Seth–just hold the thought. I suspect I’ll write a whole post about this talk and you can lambast me then.

186. totally wilburgian arrangment!

187. Tanya Spackman says:

Alan, what do you think of the iPad for blog reading and commenting? How is it typing on an iPad?

188. I like Elder Ballard. His talks always same very relevant. I love that he talks about women’s issues a lot. I thought he made a great point that a woman’s value is not only in her sensuality. The feminist in me is always noticing this in movies and TV shows. I hope the men in the church were paying attention too.

189. totally wilburgian arrangement, very nice.

190. Why are flip flops always villianized but boob jobs never get mentioned?

191. Karen, I don’t think plastic surgery is always done with terrible motives.

Some women just want their bodies back after three or four kids. I’m not going to criticize them for that.

192. Tanya Spackman says:

Karen, I’m having a hard time picturing a GA saying “boob job”. I mean, I can picture it, but it’s… a humorous image. Maybe that’s why.

193. Julie M. Smith says:

Karen: because there is no GC-appropriate euphemism for that.

194. I love that the choir is singing a song that the children in Primary should immediately recognise as one of the songs they are learning this year!

195. Maybe because flipflops are unattractive. :)

196. Karen,
    See above RE: positive impact on men.

197. Karen, flip flops are too casual for church, but being artificially well-endowed can be very formal.

198. Tanya Spackman says:

Another red and black striped tie. Looks a lot like the one earlier this session. I like it on him, though. Red looks good on him.

199. I like the way Ballard framed the problem with immodesty… not so much about turning the boys on (though he mentioned sending the boys the wrong message) but more about the perpetuation of the idea of women as sexual objects within the own girl’s mind.

200. Eyring’s addressing a huge problem here.

201. I think this could live up to the hype – at least I’m impressed. I’m doing the two finger peck – standard typing is a bit tough. Now back to conference.

202. Kristine says:

Seth, if they need surgery to get it, it’s by definition not “their” body. Perhaps the problem is with a culture (including an LDS one) that teaches women their worth is dependent on youthful beauty, instead of actually appreciating women’s contributions and the natural result of those contributions.

203. LDesque,
    Yes, that even sounded like a feminist.

204. is anyone offended that kristine thinks of birthing children as a “contribution”? ;)

205. My feed crashed. Tragic. I guess I’ll listen to Eyring later.

206. 197 LDesque, YES. I loved that!

200 Kristine, You hit the nail on the head.

207. Kristine says:

Oh, _I_ don’t think of it that way, except in the context of conference rhetoric about women. I just get peeved that we want it both ways–women’s value is entirely wrapped up in their motherhood and/or their influence on men, but then we can’t accept that motherhood has costs for them.

208. Eric Russell says:

“CTR” was developed by a committee.

209. Kristine says:

I love Elder Eyring’s tears. Gets me every time.

210. Eric Russell – I believe he said that the CTR theme was developed by a committee. Not the phrase itself. Anyone DVRing care to check?

211. Elder Ballard did have some feminist sounding moments. Good for him :)

212. A Program Consolidation announcement.

213. I suppose this is a threadjack…

But Karen, I think you could do with a little less judgmentalism.

How about cleft palate surgery? What about the woman in my law school class who got facial surgery to remove the ravages of a horrible case of young adult acne that had left craters all over her face. Do they get your condemnation because it’s “not their body?”

If you want to go “all natural” in your own life, fine by me.

But mind your own business about other people. We all agree that plastic surgery can be used in a bad way and can reflect some very unhealthy thoughts in the woman (or man) doing it.

I’m just as glad the brethren choose not to wade into this area and allow the people to govern themselves on these questions after being taught correct principles.

214. Seth,
    What in Karen’s comments lead you to believe that she is passing moral judgment against people who get cleft palate surgery? Talk about judgmentalism…

215. Bah….

Kristine…

Are people altering the comments on the fly? Because I swear I read something different a minute ago…

216. Kristine says:

Karen? Do all women look the same to you?

And, btw, Elder Holland has actually talked about cosmetic plastic surgery.

217. Never thought I’d be saying this, but President Beck’s talk was by far the best this morning.

218. I agree, TN.

219. Kristine says:

Yeah, that was a terrific talk. She’s brave.

220. “And no, I’m not really judgmental about others’ decisions with their bodies. But “getting your body back” because you have a middle-aged woman’s body and society deems that unacceptable is a problem.”

Indeed. This IS the crux, and it’s why a woman cutting her body apart to look 20 years younger is not even in the same ballpark with a child born with cleft-palate.

221. Kristine says:

Seth–thanks for getting my name right; sorry for the snark.

222. Tanya Spackman says:

Unexpectedly, I agree that Pres. Beck’s talk was the best of session.

223. Kristine says:

And yay for vigorous a capella singing!

224. I disagree Tracy with your comment on several points. But I probably should not hijack this any further.

225. And double yay for singing all the verses of How Firm A Foundation!

226. Great version of closing hymn. Loved it.

227. Tanya Spackman says:

Okay, I peeked during the prayer, and I’m only admitting that because I want to say I love his tie! Fabulous color of blue.

228. Oops… Apparently not. :(

229. That is a great version of “How Firm A Foundation”. They sing that one on the album “Called To Serve”. Great album in general btw.

230. Hi guys! I just tuned in here and now I need to go watch Pres. Eyring’s talk.

Watching everyone file out, including Francis Monson in a wheelchair. I have the lds.org feed put through to the TV.

231. Off for lunch, and then watching the afternoon session with friends across town. Will still be back to join in the blogging! See all y’all in two hours!

232. I think this is the first time I made it through a morning session without dozing off in my 4 year history of watching conference!

233. The post-conference live stream is now showing the 5th or 6th Church PSA. Now the World Report is starting. First story, earthquake in Haiti.

234. Aaron Brown says:

OK, I’m here now. What did I miss?

AB

235. Aaron: not much. Some talks, some ties, and some discussion of elective cosmetic surgery.

I loved seeing the story about Mãos Que Ajudam in Brazil on the World Report.

236. To follow up on Seth’s comment, I fear 9M may be dead. It’s been down for a while and it was frozen for a while before that. I don’t know if it can be fixed as Rusty has been working on it for a while. If it can’t be brought back, we may need to schedule an official day of mourning.

237. MCQ Say it is not sooooo ahhhhh! Remember when M* almost died? Same thing could happen.

238. So am I the only saint in LDSdom whose favorite part of conference is the between-session stuff? I swear I look forward to it all 6 months! But it never seems to generate any blog buzz. BooHOO!!

239. Is there a place where we can already download the morning session?

Sometimes that has been offered in the past at some websites.

240. I like it, too, Cynthia L. When I used to watch conference on on BYU-TV on Dish Network, the listings never specified what exactly would be televised between sessions. Usually I had all my TV watching carefully planned out, so as not to miss anything important (my old DVR not having much space). But between conference sessions I would just stay tuned and be happily surprised, being led by the broadcaster, not knowing beforehand what I would watch.

241. Treasure up those words, Zefram.

242. yes, Ben, especially the church’s Homefront ads.

243. Sweet! Cynthia, I just turned the TV back on and the lds.org feed is replaying Carol Mikita’s KSL report about the Panama City Temple. She talked with my parents and since-deceased grandfather (when she’s on a boat going through the canal), because Grandpa had been a branch president in Panamá some 40 years ago. Oh, here’s the segment now!

244. danithew- I’m able to re-watch it on lds.org. On the main page it gives you a link to the General Conference beta page. You can then pick what you want to listen to. I’ve been listening to Elder Ballard’s talk again, because apparently I fell asleep. :) Oh, I just realized maybe you meant download a written copy- sorry.

245. On tax day it’ll be a year since my grandpa died. I totally teared up seeing him talking about his time in Panamá.

Kristine no. 47, the man is the head, but the woman is the neck that turns the head. I thought everybody knew that. Didn’t you see My Big Fat Greek Wedding?

247. Zonians! A new alien race.

248. meggle, I am looking for downloadable mp3s.

But thanks!

249. Shoot … I did not mean to forge Kristine’s signature twice!

The only time I don’t like cookies …