Easter Benediction

Lux Aeterna

Lassus
Faure
Elgar

Lux aeterna luceat eis, Domine,
cum sanctis tuis in aeternum,
quia pius es.
Requiem aeternam, dona eis, Domine,
et lux perpetua luceat eis.

Let light eternal shine on them, O Lord,
with thy saints forever,
for thou art merciful.
Rest eternal grant them, O Lord,
and let perpetual light shine on them.

Comments

1. Kristine says:

I know the Elgar’s a little cheesy (even without the silly slide show); I love it anyway. Apologies to the real musicians out there!

2. Latter-day Guy says:

I actually really like Cameron’s adaptation of Elgar’s “Nimrod.” (Incidentally, it’s much more difficult than it sounds. I remember being quite surprised when I read the score for the first time.) Thanks so much for these music posts, Kristine. They have made my Easter far more lovely and uplifting than it would have been otherwise.

3. Kristine says:

Yeah, it’s pretty wicked vocally. Makes me happy I’m not a real soprano.

4. You can’t leave out Ligeti’s Lux Aeterna: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CD28TJZgiJU

5. Tatiana says:

Kristine, I just want to thank you for sharing all this wonderful music. I’m loving it!

6. Thanks, Kristine. That choral arrangement of the Elgar does sound brutal to sing. Nothing like a 7-second reverberation to help out!

And thanks for all the interesting music this past Holy Week. It was great.

(The Faure link above needs some fixing . . . ?)

7. Kristine says:

ha! Thanks, Hunter. That’s what I get for posting at 1 a.m. drunk on British Neo-Romanticism!

8. CatherineWO says:

Thank you for these posts on music. Because of a disability, I am unable to attend church meetings regularly and never get to concerts any more. It’s the music I miss the most. You’ve truly enriched my Easter week, Kristine.

9. Kristine says:

Catherine, that makes my day. I’m really glad it mattered to you.

10. Well, I AM a real musician, and I have thoroughly enjoyed these selections. (even if a little late). Thanks so much for reminding me of some beautiful moments I’ve experienced over time and for giving me some new ones to enjoy.