Behold!

The new Dialogue website.

In the past few years, it has become increasingly clear that Dialogue cannot survive as strictly a print publication. A new generation of thoughtful Saints and scholars who would benefit from becoming acquainted with Dialogue’s rich history will never find that content if it is languishing in library stacks. Thus, with some trepidation, the Board has decided to make all of Dialogue’s archive accessible online, retaining only the last two years’ content as premium content available by subscription*. This is risky for us, of course. It will essentially eliminate sales of back issues, and reduce the sales of the DVD archive. It’s quite possible that readers will be satisfied with all that free content, and just wait for more content to become free, rather than subscribing. We hope, of course, that the smaller price for the electronic subscription ($25) will make it affordable for people who want to subscribe, but find the price tag of the print edition daunting. In the end, though, it’s unlikely that we can ever sell enough subscriptions to sustain the costs of producing and distributing the journal–we are now, and are likely to remain, dependent on the good will and generosity of those who are convinced of the value of Dialogue’s mission.

I hope you’ll click through and have a look. The search function will get you right into the archives, and I’m confident you’ll find treasures there. E-mail me with your finds and suggestions to go in the Dialogue Classics section. You can also submit links to places where interesting discussions of Mormonism or religion generally are happening–there’s not tons of room for displaying links (so please don’t be offended if yours doesn’t go up), but we can put up a few at a time and look forward to broadening our conversation.

If you like what you see, please consider making a small donation ($5 or $10 will speak loudly) or dropping a note to the business office to let us know what you appreciate (or don’t).

*from now until June 1, ALL content will be available for free. After that, the most recent two years will be available only by subscription.

UPDATE: Something’s gone wonky with the checkout. Hold off on those thousands of donations for just a few minutes while we fix it.
We think we’ve got it fixed, but won’t be sure until more people try transactions. And, for the moment, you have to enter both billing and shipping addresses, even if they’re the same–dumb, I know; we’re working on it. If you have trouble subscribing or making a donation, please email me the details–kristine dot haglund at gmail. Thanks!!

———————

Add to FacebookAdd to DiggAdd to Del.icio.usAdd to StumbleuponAdd to RedditAdd to BlinklistAdd to TwitterAdd to TechnoratiAdd to Yahoo BuzzAdd to Newsvine

Comments

It looked good at home on Safari. But here at work on IE, the search box is off to the right of the screen for some reason.

If anyone wants to play with the search feature, do a search on “Barney, Kevin L.” in the author field to find the four articles I have published in Dialogue. (You just knew that was the first search I was going to execute, didn’t you?)

This is a tremendous development; kudos to all who made it possible.

2. Kristine says:

which version of IE, Kevin? We tried hard to make it compatible with all of them, but the old ones are really, really annoying for the developers to figure out.

3. Aaron R. says:

I search for myself first as well Kevin, but alas I have not published anything in Dialogue.

This is really fantastic Kristine and I hope that it serves to help the organisation long-term.

4. Really great work, Kristine. The search feature alone makes it golden. It is hard for the younger generation to support things that seem technologically moribund. This should quicken the organization. Congrats!

5. Terrific. A plethora of internet treasures.

6. REALLY great. Thanks Kristine!

7. Very cool … I’ll be doing some searches.

Thanks for making all this available.

8. This looks fantastic. Wonderful work, Kristine, et al.

9. Kristine says:

” alas I have not published anything in Dialogue.”

Get to work on that :)

10. Peter LLC says:

I still can’t be bothered to read all of that stuff, free or not, but I think I will subscribe anyway just to reward Dialogue for Doing the Right Thing.

11. This is absolutely excellent news, and you can bet I’ll subscribe. Thank you.

12. Awesome!!! Now I can check it out and see if it’s for me! :) (It probably is…)

13. Latter-day Guy says:

This looks fantastic!

At work we have IE 7. It’s not a huge deal, I can still run a search, I just have to scroll to the right to find the search box.

15. Very nice!

16. Very cool. I just did some poking around. While I personally find Dialogue’s content very uneven, there’s enough stuff I enjoy that this seem very worthwhile.

Fix the checkout soon!

17. Aaron R. says:

Kristine, it will take more than work. It will take a miracle and some v. lenient reviewers.

I should have been working today but have already read some brilliant articles. Claudia Bushman on Should Mormon Women Speak Out?, Laurel Thatcher Ulrich’s introduction to the tenth anniversary of the Pink Dialogue and I downloaded an article by Robert Rees entitled ‘The Goodness of the Church’.

It is about time I subscribed I think.

18. This is fantastic, thank you! Searching back issues of Dialogue in the BYU library between classes opened up a whole new world of controversy and intrigue for me.

Underneath the search box there are advanced search buttons for “strickness” and “look in” which appear to have no effect on the search results. Assuming that gets fixed, I’d add a default to the selections there so it doesn’t look like you must click something in there.

19. If people only have one browser on the work computer, and the browser is creating problems, does that mean that the work computer is locked from downloading other browsers?

If not, you could/should download Firefox, Chrome, Safari …

20. Excellent work Kristine and co.

Will the new submissions form make your editing workflow easier? I hope so. I’m a big believer in using technology to free up those little bits of time that managing editors so often find get eaten up by administrative tasks.

21. Wonderful. THanks. Now, I just need to submit something.

22. Mike M. says:

Nice work Dialogue Board. Glad this is finally all up there and searchable. Please keep us all updated on what happens to subscriptions.

23. Hmm. Either search isn’t working at 100%, or Kristine wisely chose to hide my lone Dialogue piece from searches.

24. Very awesome! Alas, my attention span is not such that I can sit through such long articles (25-35 pages or more) at the computer. I don’t suppose there are abridged versions that give the highlights without all of the details?

25. The old Dialogue website linked to archives at the University of Utah (if memory serves correctly), which makes available all editions prior to two years ago. And subscribers previously had e-access to more recent editions through metapress (didn’t they?).

So how is this new website any different than previous? Is it just that you’re hosting everything at wordpress.com now, rather than linking to outside resources. Seems like a lot of extra work just to duplicate what was already available, and I don’t understand why these few cosmetic changes will improve survivability.

As a current subscriber how do I log onto the new website after June 1? Trying to log-in (from the “manage your account” link) currently with my previous metapress username/password gives me an error.

I think I’ll probably be in the minority, but I really dislike the look and feel of the new website as well. How many different fonts are you using? On Firefox it looks like there are at least four different fonts being used.

Lastly, in the archives, volumes 2, 3, and 4 from 2009 are missing and the link to download a pdf of the current edition is broken and takes me to your default 404 error page.

26. “Alas, my attention span is not such that I can sit through such long articles (25-35 pages or more) at the computer. I don’t suppose there are abridged versions that give the highlights without all of the details?”

Alex, Alex, Alex

27. I’m still hoping that some day Dialogue will be available for my Kindle (not as a pdf).

28. Kristine says:

Kaimi (and Kari)–the last two years are not indexed yet, which is why Kaimi’s stuff doesn’t show up. Should happen in the next 24 hours.

Kari, I’m sorry you don’t like the new look–I hope you’ll be in the minority.

You’ll receive instructions about setting up a new account–we can’t just transfer the old ones because we don’t have access to that data from metapress, and because all print subscriptions will now automatically include electronic access. It’s not really all that different, except that the search function didn’t work very well for the U of U archives, and then you had to download one pdf page at a time. The difference is that now you can find an article you’re looking for and download it in less than an hour, and everything’s hosted in one place. Also, we can more easily do things like notifying electronic subscribers when a new issue comes out, etc.

Thanks for your feedback. I’ll be interested to hear how it seems after a little while of getting used to it.

29. Kristine says:

And Kari, it may happen. It’s simply a matter of demand–I suspect that as our subscriber base gets younger, there will be more interest in Kindle and other technologies. Please do write a letter to me, or to the Board, though–it’s very helpful for us to hear what people are looking for.

30. wreddyornot says:

I first subscribed to Dialogue about 1985 when on a quest for information relative to the intuitive disconnect between free agency and omniscience I stumbled upon the journal and read therein an article by Blake Ostler. I then welcomed the article as an answer to prayer and spiritual searching — although in that era as now it was not something I would have shared in testimony meeting without the expectation of rancor and concern for my welfare.

I carefully kept every copy of the journal until a DVD was available of the archives. Then I took my old copies back to Dialogue in case someone else wanted them or they had some use for them.

It would make everything Mormon more engaging at church to me and I think generally if everyone read most, if not all, of each issue. Not necessarily as faithfully as conference talks, but almost. Now, it will be more possible than ever for members everywhere to do so.

Thanks to all individuals, present and past, who have made these mighty and marvelous works available to common people like me.

31. Aaron Brown says:

Woo-hoo!!! I can throw out all my old Dialogues now. :)

This is terrific.

32. Julie M. Smith says:

Hmm . . . the first two things I clicked on caused “oops” pages . . .

33. Very Good! My only minor problem is (due to old eyes), I read BCC at 200%, and it fits fully on my 24″ screen. Your new site is about 3/4 of an inch too big. But at 150%, it’s great!

34. Kristine, you can’t believe how happy this makes me! This will be so useful!

35. Kristine says:

Julie–the most recent issues (last two years) will give you those for just a bit longer.

36. Chris H – What can I say? I spend most of my life around people with short attention spans. I think it has rubbed off on me. At least when I am at a computer.

37. Kristine says:

Aaron–don’t throw them out. Give them away!

38. #30 – Oh, and to use PDFs on a Kindle, I convert them to a Word document or to a html file, and it’s not perfect, but it’s the words and sense of the sentences, paragraphs, etc., not the format, that matter to me, and for me it works just fine.

I know how to convert pdf’s to a Kindle format, with appropriate formatting, and in fact converted many of my favorite issues, from the DVD archive and recent electronic access, to Kindle books just so I could read my favorite articles and newer issues when I was in church or elsewhere bored out of my skull. It took some time, but I have images and all on my Kindle for those issues.

39. Don’t the new Kindles have native PDF support?

40. This is really great. Without even breaking a sweat (so-to-speak), I’ve already found four great pieces of Mormon literary criticism that I hadn’t previously read.

41. John Mansfield says:

“Aaron–don’t throw them out. Give them away!”

This reminds me of a time walking by a bookstore in Baltimore’s Hampden neighborhood. A table was set up outside with severely marked down inventory, and included were several Signature books. I asked the manager why he had them. He didn’t have an explanation, only that he would like to get rid of them. Another member of my ward also saw the display, and it was quite a head-scratcher for both of us.

42. Don’t the new Kindles have native PDF support?

The new Kindle DX does have native pdf support. For the Kindle and Kindle 2 Amazon provides a service where you can email a pdf file to them and it will be converted to the Kindle and sent wirelessly to your Kindle. However, the output is crap, and the foot/endnotes are not hyperlinked. (If you can’t jump from text to endnote and back, what’s the use of having an electronic version?)

43. RE: #31, “Woo-hoo!!! I can throw out all my old Dialogues now. :)”

Good heavens, I’m antiquated! I eagerly gave Greg Prince an original edition of Ethan Smith’s View of the Hebrews years ago (now worth thousands of dollars) in trade for my complete, hard-copy set of Dialogue.

“Silver threads among the gold . . .”

44. stranger says:

Is there some bug with the search with Firefox? If I have done a search and would like to do another one not using the box right above search result but the box above that (where I can choose for example ‘find exact phrase’) it will only reload the page if I push enter instead clicking the search button.
    Anyone else noticed that?

Then I happened also to noticed that Boyd Kirkland’s article “Elohim and Jehovah in Mormonism and the Bible” (vol. 19, num. 1 – Spring 1986) is missing the last pages.