SoCal Mega-Weekend: Bloggersnacker, Miller-Eccles, & Mormon Scholars

A fantastically eventful weekend is about to take place in SoCal for the Bloggernacle and Mormon Studies.

On Saturday evening at 5pm, Scott B., Cynthia L., & MikeInWeHo will be hosting a SoCal Bloggernsnacker at El Coyote restaurant in West Hollywood. We have a room reserved, and will be recording a Zeitcast from that infamous location in addition to munching, mingling, lingering, and longing. Everyone is welcome, including lurkers, spouses, and children. Meal prices for the restaurant are reasonable, and high chairs are available. If you are interested in carpooling, please email me at bcczeitcast (at) gmail (dot) com and we’ll try to arrange for group transportation.

But that’s not all!

On both Friday (in Orange County) and Saturday (in LA County) evenings, the Miller-Eccles Study Group will be hosting BCC’s very own John Hamer for his presentation titled “The History of the Community of Christ.” Directions to the MESG’s locales are available at the website found above, and we strongly encourage you to attend one of the evenings if you’re in the area.

But that’s not all!

Claremont University will be the locale for the Mormon Scholars In The Humanities conference, with “The Family & Human Relationship in History, Literature, Art, and Philosophy” as the central theme. Not only is this an excellent event for Mormon Studies generally, but several well known bloggernaclers will be featured: Rosalynde Welch (“Does Mormon Thought Offer a Theory of Gender?“) will speak during the Friday Morning session, Caroline Kline (“LDS Women in the Twentieth Century: Witnesses to a Changing Church“) will participate in a panel chaired by Claudia Bushman Friday afternoon, and James Faulconer (“On a Philosophy of the Family“) will deliver the keynote address Friday evening. Information on conference registration can be found here.

But that’s not all!

Every single ward in SoCal will hold a regular, 3-hour block meeting program on Sunday! Does it get any better?

——————————-

Add to FacebookAdd to DiggAdd to Del.icio.usAdd to StumbleuponAdd to RedditAdd to BlinklistAdd to TwitterAdd to TechnoratiAdd to Yahoo BuzzAdd to Newsvine

Comments

1. Aaron Brown says:

Sheesh, I almost regret leaving L.A. in 2005. Almost.

2. Aaron Brown says:

When did Rosalynde change her name to Roslandye? It has a lovely ring to it. Rolls right off the tongue.

3. MikeInWeHo says:

We have the entire back section of the restaurant, so there will be plenty of room no matter how many show up. I had a nice talk with Margie Christoffersen last night and she is going to make every effort to come by and meet us. You can read her story here:

Thankfully, everything has returned to normal and Margie is warmly embraced once again by many loyal customers like me. It’s impossible to overstate what a delightful woman she is. We had a great laugh about me offering to pay the bar tab for the ‘snacker.

See you all Saturday night!

4. Aaron, I can’t wait for that fateful day when you spell something wrong. I will be watching!

Thanks Mike. I think we’re going to have a good turnout, but then again, since I’ve never been to a Snacker, I don’t have any idea what “good turnout” even means…

5. Wow, that really is a stellar weekend plan!

6. How long do you expect the restaurant gathering to last? Not sure I could make it there that early.

7. Mark Brown says:

Susan, Scott Bosworth wants to start singing karaoke at about 9:30, so you should be fine, whenever you can get there. Please do come.

8. Susan, go and take some pics!! (you know, like the ones you take at concerts with the dramatic colored lighting and people smoking and stuff.)

MikeInWeHo, I’d be cautious about that bar tab offer. You never know with this crowd…

10. MikeInWeHo says:

re: 7
    Scott and I will probably be doing shots and weeping by 9:30.

11. Have a lot going on Saturday–but my biggest problem is my husband will have the car and I’m not sure when he’ll be done with it. If I show up I’ll for sure bring at least one camera. :)

12. Susan, where do you live? Could we help with transportation?

13. I’m in Huntington Beach, it’s a bit of a drive. Thanks for the offer! If I can go there’s actually another event I’ll want to go to as well…I might be able to find someone who’ll come with and drive.

14. Pfffft. I’m in Irvine. You’re just up the road. We can pick you up easily–email me at scottb (at) bycommonconsent (dot) com and we’ll talk–there are a few other things going on that you should know about, too (Friday and Saturday) if you’re in HB!

15. This lurker is planning to attend too. It’ll be nice to finally meet all of you.

16. Cynthia – are we still planning on going? Excited to meet all you great people!

17. MikeInWeHo says:

The more the better. I’m coming in drag (KIDDING!).

Additional info: The restaurant has on-site valet parking for $3.50 which is strongly recommended. Parking is a bear in that neighborhood. Use extreme caution if attempting to park on a residential side street. Many of them are zoned with confusing restrictions. If you don’t have the correct sticker in your window, you’ll be towed in minutes. It’s well worth the $3.50 not to deal with that.

18. My cousin performs in drag just down the road in West Hollywood. Maybe you know him, Mike. :)

19. MikeInWeHo says:

At the last L.A.-area Bloggersnacker, Scott B and I won the talent competition. Unfortunately Ardis Parshall and Bridget Meier had a little trouble in the audience.

20. Looking forward to it. See you guys soon.

21. OK, I need some help with sister manaen at El Coyote tonight.
    sister manaen: “Will they just be talking about blogging?”
    me: “No, we’ll probably try to get to know about each others real lives.”
    sister manaen: “Do you have real lives?”

22. MikeInWeHo says:

23. Great to meet those who came tonight! Sis. manaen discovered that we are very able to act as though we had real lives. Good to see Marjorie back on the job also.

24. MikeInWeHo says:

What a fun evening!!!

25. Thanks for making me feel so welcome everyone. Good times!

26. Cynthia L. says:

What a great time. Marjorie is just made for Hollywood! What a gorgeous woman and exceptionally gracious hostess. It was wonderful to meet you all finally.