The CTR Course B Child’s Kit (1978)

Do you guys have one of these? I’m in the process of cleaning out the house, preparing for a move — which means that I’m going through forty years of accumulated “treasures” and associated memories.

This is kind of a fun little gem. And I opened it up to find it was filled with a whole bunch of other period gems (c. 1978-1982).

For example, right on top there was a kind of pin-wheel which talks about Old Testament and Book of Mormon prophecies regarding Jesus Christ.

Beneath that were a host of Cub Scout and Webelos memorabilia.

The main personalized artifact is an emblem I would have drawn around 1978 which was glued to the inside lid of the box, containing CTR rules:

CTR
1. Choose the Right
2. Don’t Interrupt
3. Keep the chirch clean
4. Be Revernt
5. Don’t Run in the Chich
6. No yelling in the Hall
7. Come to Primary

I’m not sure if those were standard rules or totally personalized? You guys remember these kits?

Bookmark The CTR Course B Child’s Kit (1978)

Comments

1. esodhiambo says:

I remember the box, yes, but not the other stuff. Has this kit made the list of things to be moved, or junked?

2. Sad to say — It and its contents are on the massive list of things to be photographed or scanned, digitally archived, and eliminated.

3. Marsha Ward says:

I hope you were able to pass the usable items along to your Cub Scout Pack.

4. Stephanie says:

I did this with a lot of my childhood memories about 5 years ago, and now I am sad about it. I wish I just would have kept some of them.

5. Stephanie (4): I am keeping lots of things. My criterion is that the artifact needs to be a substantially original creation of my own. In other words, I’m more interested in saving things like the CTR emblem I drew on the inside of the box than off-the-shelf Cub Scout materials. For example, I have many boxes of artwork produced from 1971-1995 that constitute the really hard choices.

Marsha (3): I’d be shocked to hear that any of these materials remain usable or in use. There’s been no updates to Cub Scout awards in the past 32 years? The car emblem on the Webelos badge already looks like a 1962 model…

6. MikeInWeHo says:

I’m with Stephanie. Don’t destroy this stuff, John. I was a Webelo and had the exact same red/green/yellow ribbons for the pins. It’s safely stashed in a box in my parents’ basement there in Michigan.

7. Stephanie says:

John, I know what you mean. That’s my criteria for which school projects to keep for my kids, and then when they get old enough, I’ll let them decide themselves (I tried letting them decide for themselves, and they just want to keep every.single.thing.)

Maybe you could donate the scout stuff to the National Scouting Museum? It is in Irving, TX. I took my den there, and they have really neat stuff from past generations of scouts. I bet they would appreciate it.

8. Stephanie says:

Mike, moving my stuff out of my grandma’s attic and being responsible for storing it myself is what caused me to chuck some of it. (But, fortunately, my mom knew that deep down I didn’t really want to chuck all my Baby-Sitter’s Club books, so she saved them for me and gave them to me a couple of years later. I love mom)

9. Mike (6): We are downsizing and freeing ourselves from junk as we relocate from a house with a basement to a downtown apartment on the 24th floor. My in-laws have already done the same (moving to a retirement community in AZ) and my own parents are going through this process, selling the old family house now in order to move to a lake house in WI. There is no basement; my mom is actually sending me stuff from her basement.

Meanwhile, I’m reducing my current library by about 1,000 books, which has been much harder to do. In terms of ancient possessions, we’re digitizing and archiving what we’re leaving behind, which will keep the past much more alive in active memory than if they were hidden in boxes in some basement.

10. I think a kit like that sold for $3000 last night on eBay.

11. I remember when my mother taught this class (would have been after ’76 and before ’81, so just the time you were that age). When kids moved into the ward after the week when the treasure chests had been given, she would visit the kids in their homes to welcome them to class and to impress on them how very important the box was, and how it should be used only for their most important treasures.

Looks like you felt like that about your box. It must have been exactly the right gimmick to use for kids that age.

12. Ardis (11): I agree; I think associating these youth programs with little artifacts was very effective — as the continuing interest in CTR rings has proved. I looked on Wikipedia to try to figure out how old CTR-Bs were only to find out that the success of the CTR brand has apparently caused it to grow and consume less successful brands like “Star A and Star B.”

Syphax (10): ha!

13. :)

14. I had one of those boxes. It’s possible that my box still exists, somewhere, but it’s not in my possession. A few years ago my step-mother dumped about 17 boxes filled with ancient artifacts on my doorstep, but the CTR-B box was not among them. Of course, among the 17 boxes were boxes filled of artifacts not my own but of my siblings, so perhaps one of those siblings has a box that contains my CTR box. Or perhaps it got tossed ages ago. It very likely got smooshed at an early age and probably never recovered.

15. Aaron Brown says:

Wow, I totally remembering my CTR box. I wonder what happened to it?

16. Coffinberry says:

I remember mine, but I’m sure it succumbed to a move long before I outgrew childhood. How cool that you found it to commit to digital memory.

17. My boys would LOVE a box like that. Must indeed be the age- little collections and stashes all over the place.

18. I used my CTR box to cart my Hotwheels and Matchbox cars to school. To avoid potential embarrassment (and a HUGE Golden Missionary opportunity – is that irony?), I hand-wrote Cars, Trucks, and Racers on the box to explain what the CTR stood for!

My kids still play with some of those cars, but the box is long gone!

19. Woah, blast from the past, total deja vu seeing that box. And the cub scout stuff.

20. Left Field says:

Those belt loops are actually not from Cub Scouts, but are Boy Scout Skill Awards. They introduced the skill awards in the early 70s when they (disastrously) revamped the requirements. I didn’t know how long the skill awards lasted, but I’m a little surprised they were still in use when you would have been a Boy Scout.

21. BTD Greg says:

That box looks very familiar, but I don’t recall if it was me or my brother who had one.

What I remember even more distinctly was the Blazers banner and all the little emblems you would earn from memorizing the Articles of Faith. I thought that was pretty cool at the time.

22. Greg (21): Got one of those too: http://bycommonconsent.com/2009/07/09/reflections-on-the-articles-of-faith-then-and-now/

LF (20): That makes sense. It’s clear that at some point or other this box was converted to deliberate archive duty and it became a home for everything that was saved from Cub Scouts, Webelos, and the first year of Boy Scouts, in addition to a handful of saved CTR items (like the ring).

23. FYI, those Webelos pins make excellent tie tacks.

24. Stephanie says:

Re 20 – that’s an even better reason to donate them to the National Scouting Museum!

25. I barely caught the end if all of that. I remember the box. I remember mid week primary. Wearind a dress to school on Tuesdays so we could walk over to the chapel after school. I remember forgetting sometimes and my mom meeting me at church and putting a skirt over my pants and rolling them up above my knee. I remember the box and thinking it was an awfully big clumsy container to keep ones CTR ring in. I think it was fazed out before I could accumulate very many treasures.

26. I had entirely forgotten about those until today. Thanks for the great memory of Helena in the 70s.

27. ohhhhh sooo coool ! i wish i still had my box ! mine did not survive the constant use. it held all of my primary treasures & it seemed that there were a lot. we always came home w/ stuff. i do still have my A of F banner, my hand painted & decorated personal progress mirror & merrie miss box that previously had held my non-mbr grandfather’s cigars. :)

28. also, i was the youngest child in my family & was a CTR in 1975. My brother as the oldest was a CTR in 69 & also had the box along w/ most of the trinkets shown !

29. Don’t throw those belt loops away. Send them to me if you don’t want to keep them.

30. Awesome! Of course I remember my CTR box! I still have it somewhere, and will have to unearth its treasures…

Thanks for sharing yours, John.

31. John- how fun. Thanks for posting the pic. I had one just like it and kept it till high school. An old boyfriend of mine used to sweet talk me by telling me he put my letters into his CTR treasure box (we met in CTR class and reunited in high school). Just typing that story is embarrassing.