Voting: Boggs-Doniphan Gentile of the Year Award 2010

We’re now opening the poll for the Boggs-Doniphan Award for the non-Mormon with the biggest impact on Mormonism in 2010, be it positive (Doniphan) or negative (Boggs). The choices are culled from last month’s nomination thread. Previous winners are Stephen Colbert for making fun of us, and Mike Huckabee for, well, making fun of us.

On whom should the BCC bloggers bestow the Boggs-Doniphan Gentile of the Year Award of 2010?

Barack Obama for paving the way for the Mormons to save the Constitution
7.58% (15 votes)

Judge Vaughn Walker, who ruled Prop 8 unconstitutional
18.18% (36 votes)

Sharron Angle (and her pastor) for being so nutty that Harry Reid was able to retain his Senate seat against all odds
19.19% (38 votes)

Swiss government for apparently forcing Church to rely on non-US missionaries
5.05% (10 votes)

Robert George, chair of the allegedly LDS-affiliated National Organization for Marriage
3.54% (7 votes)

Pew Forum on Religion and Public Life, for proving that we are disliked, and that we know more about religion than any other group except for atheists and Jews
21.21% (42 votes)

Bill Casto, USCAA director, for not actively pursuing sanctions against Southern Virginia University
1.52% (3 votes)

Christ Covenant Church of Charlotte NC, for not letting LDS parents serve in their scout troop
5.56% (11 votes)

Charles Cooper, lead lawyer for the almost unfathomably bad defense of Prop 8 in court
3.54% (7 votes)

Ernest W. Michel worked towards a breakthrough in dialogue regarding the practice of baptism of the dead
7.07% (14 votes)

Nicholas O. Rule of the University of Toronto, and James V. Garrett and Nalini Ambady of Tufts University for scientifically validating Mo-dar.
7.58% (15 votes)

Total Votes: 198

Vote for Mormon of the Year over at that other blog.

Comments

1. I’m torn between Judge Walker and the Mo-dar one.

2. I thought the Mo-dar study was pretty impressive too, although I only skimmed an article on it.

But I think it should really be Obama, just because it’s time for someone other than an American to win. ;)

3. Ha!

4. Natalie B. says:

I was torn between Walker and Cooper. Maybe they should be treated as a pair?

5. Sharron Angle all the way for me.

6. Got to be the Pew. I love being disliked. At least that’s what students think.

7. Aaron Brown says:

Walker, all the way.

8. Mark Brown says:

Sorry to have to be the stickler, but I don’t think we should vote for any of these people until they show us their birth certificates.

9. Mommie Dearest says:

We need some informative links. (#whine#) I don’t know anything about Robert George, Bill Casto, or Ernest Michel, and I am only vaguely familiar with Cooper, Walker and the Mo-dar guys. Forced to vote right now I’d flip a coin between Sharron Angle and CCC of Charlotte NC.

What, me google?

10. Robert George is interesting in part because he was recently named to the board of Deseret News, further solidifying ties between LDS church and National Organization for Marriage (NOM). Some have claimed that NOM is a kind of unofficial arm of the church on gay marriage issues. In fact, part of Stephen Colbert’s eligibility for last year’s Boggs-Doniphan win was established when he became the most high-profile media outlet to highlight this alleged link. See the end of his parody of the “Gathering Storm” anti-gay marriage TV ad.

Bill Casto: the SVU (a sort of private-sector BYU–an LDS college not owned by the church) women’s soccer team forfeited the championship game because it was on Sunday. They could have been punished by the league, but the director Castro decided to review the league’s policies instead.

Ernest Michael has been working for a long time on the dispute between Jews/Holocaust survivors and the church, on the issue of baptisms for the dead.

11. The Pew Forum does interesting stuff every year, but it seems much more in keeping with the spirit of the award to give it to an individual rather than a group or organization.

12. Natalie B. says:

11: I agree. I think the Swiss Government is also an odd choice, since not an individual.

I voted Angle. BTW, in IE the test of the poll runs underneath the right sidebar and cannot be seen; I don’t know whether there’s a way for the geeky ones to fix that.

14. ziff for the win

15. In that Pew is a choice, they were my choice. I love Pew.

16. I would like it if this year’s winner were someone who didn’t validate our victimhood status.

17. #16: That’s what’s so tempting about the Mo-dar option! Seriously, in writing that sentence describing the previous winners, I did start thinking that it was time for a different flavor.

18. Mo-dar, because now it’s not just useful, it’s true and useful.

19. I voted for the CCC, but had the odd thought that it’s too bad OP Rockwell isn’t around to not shoot Sharron Angle, setting up an epic habeas corpus battle between the Toquerville UN-Free Zone municipal court and the state of Nevada.

20. Left Field says:

Obviously, Cowan’s groupies haven’t been informed of the poll yet.

21. I’m confused by the structure of the poll options. This award is supposed to be either positive or negative impact, but the poll options don’t really help identify which type of impact either is supposed to represent.

For example, is Harry Reid righteous or wicked this week? IOW, is Sharron Angle a Boggs for allowing the wicked Jack Mormon to remain in power and continuing our bad reputation, or is she a Doniphan for setting up a strawman for the press to knock down making Mormons look normal in the process?

22. Robert George is a Princeton Political Science Professor. I will vote for him, largely because I nominated him. Plus, I assigned him at BYU as a counter to Rawls on faith and politics.

His addition to the Des News board is part of why I nominated him. Also, a number of Apostles attended a banquet in his honor in Washington DC this last year.

23. Rigel Hawthorne says:

I agree with 20. Suggest candidates be segregated into a Boggs group and Doniphan group and either two awards or a runoff.

24. Cynthia L. says:

Time magazine’s person of the year is similarly someone who can be for good or for ill (they once gave the award to Hitler). Life is about tough choices, people!

That said, having a runoff round of voting or something isn’t necessarily a bad idea.

25. I do not think you need a runoff. Just have the permas function as a form of electoral college that keeps the masses from making stupid decisions. I trust you all.

26. More like the infamous “Superdelegates” at the primary convention.

27. ANNOUNCEMENT: It has come to my attention that Roosevelt, UT native Reed Cowan is maybe not eligible due to not being non-Mormon. Can anyone confirm if he was born LDS?

28. Ah, yep, a return missionary even. Sorry Reed, you’re out.

29. Cowan had 6 votes at the time of his option’s deletion, so if the voting is close maybe we can imagine those going to Judge Vaughn Walker?

30. No Way!

31. Cynthia L. says:

Fine. If you voted for Cowan you have to try to vote again, even if it means going to the library and using a computer there to avoid PollDaddy’s double-voting restrictions. You have my permission.

32. I read the list and thought, “Is that it?”

None of those will rate even a footnote in Mormon history. Our future as a church and a people is in our hands, not theirs. No Doniphans or Boggs there.

33. james garrett, one of the researchers on mo-dar, is also mo. but nicholas rule should still count…

34. Cynthia L. says:

Oh no! What if somebody working at Pew is Mormon? I wonder if they have to be a primary researcher on the project, or if just some Mormon receptionist would be enough to disqualify them…..

35. Run-off between Pew and Angle?

36. Cynthia L. says:

Pew, Angle, and Walker seem to be pretty even and in a class by themselves w.r.t. the other options. Though a 3-way-runoff is a little weird as far as runoffs go.

37. Cynthia,
    A little weird is what we do. Go for it.

38. What if somebody working at Pew is Mormon?

I know for a fact this is true.

39. Cynthia L. says:

Alright, Mo-Dar and Pew are out.

40. Barack Obama for paving the way for the Mormons to save the Constitution

I just want to say that I was sorely tempted to vote for Pres. Obama just because this line is so awesome. Unfortunately, it isn’t true. Mormons will never save the Constitution because the haters won’t let us.

41. You can’t take Pew out, it’s winning!

42. I just thought to myself “if they take Pew out, no one will take this award seriously.”

That made me laugh and roll my eyes all at once.