Monday Mid-President’s Day Poll

In honor of President’s Day, click a button on our poll and explain yourself below!

Justify your claims with YouTube clips, quotes, and scandalous photographs!
Significant Write-In Candidates:

• Michael Douglas
  • Laura Roslin

Comments

1. Barack Obama.

2. Grover Cleveland is the only president to have a Superhero Muppet named after him, so, it’s really no contest.

3. President Palmer (Dennis Haysbert) from 24. He’s the reason I have AllState insurance, too.

4. Technically Joseph Smith was not a “president.” He was The Prophet. He was General of the Nauvoo Legion. He was Mayor of Nauvoo. I can’t recall anything in which he was called president.

5. Albert Einstein. President of all ya’ll’s minds.

6. Having just watched Dinner for Schmucks the other day, I have to vote for Morgan Freeman, the president of South Africa.

7. I love Obama, but I had to go for Morgan Freeman as Mandela.

8. Technically Joseph Smith was not a “president.” He was The Prophet. He was General of the Nauvoo Legion. He was Mayor of Nauvoo. I can’t recall anything in which he was called president.

lolz

9. I’m starting a write-in campaign for Laura Roslin. Perfect combination of executive and revelatory powers.

10. (4) – How about “President of the High Priesthood of the Church” (D&C 107:65)?

11. I also vote for Morgan Freeman, not only as president – but also as God and my high school principal.

12. Uhm, I seem to recall him forming the First Presidency of the Church. Duh!

Anyway, having JS on here is a lot like having the big JC. How can you really top that?

13. Morgan Freeman. He was president not only of South Africa, but also the USA when it got hit by the Biederman comet, which caused a megatsunami that decimated the eastern seaboard. Then he oversaw the reconstruction of the US capitol. How many of the others can claim that? Answer: none.

14. President Thomas Whitmore

15. I’m going to have to vote for other – Michael Douglas was the best president ever. Morgan Freeman is a close second, though.

16. Kyle M nails it:

President Laura Roslin, hands down.

17. John (15), you stole the one I was going to use.

18. Crawford brings in the big guns–aliens, Randy Quaid, and Bill Pullman (I heard he was a Mormon!)…

19. It gets no more Presidential that this:

20. How about “The Presidents of the United States of America”

Millions of peaches, peaches for me, millions of peaches, peaches for free.

21. John C. got me all emotional with that one. My preference would likely be Jed Bartlett.

22. President. Gaius. Frakkin’. Baltar.

23. Josiah Bartlet. How soon they forget.

24. Not a “Matsby”.

25. http://imgur.com/z2mOt.png

Lets try that again.

26. B.Russ (21),
    I think that they would be excluded for failure to deliver. I never got a single stinking peach during their reign.

27. Mark Brown says:

Jefferson Davis, president of the CSA. He made his escape from Richmond wearing a wig and a dress. I rest my case.

28. President Bartlett went by Jed amongst his friends. We were tight like that.

29. Thanks for adding Laura to the ballot, Scott.

Yes we can!

30. Martin Sheen:

31. Sorry, Chris H. — I’m a slow typist and didn’t see that you’d beaten me to the punch! : )

32. “Bill Pullman (I heard he was a Mormon!)…”

Please don’t tell my wife that. I can’t compete already.

33. Okay, so I completely forgot about Bill Pullman. Can I vote for an executive triumvirate consisting of Morgan Freeman, Bill Pullman, and Michael Douglas?

I know what movies I’m watching this afternoon!

34. Morgan Freeman can’t be both President and God. I’m sorry, but he’s going to have to choose one or the other.

35. What? No Charlton Heston? Man. You guys are off your game.
    I mean come on! He played Andrew Jackson twice!.

36. Conservatives keep tell me the Obama is not the savior (strange…since I am unaware of anyone thinking he was or even asking if he was), maybe Morgan Freeman is the Savior…both god and president.

37. “telling me”

38. “Morgan Freeman can’t be both President and God. I’m sorry, but he’s going to have to choose one or the other.”

Hey, if Leto II can be both God and Emperor for 3,500 years, Morgan Freeman can be a God President for as long as he wants.

39. Latter-day Guy says:

How do you top Jesus? Easy: Jesus of Gondor!

40. “Josiah Bartlet. How soon they forget.”

41. Jesus of Gondor, FTW.

42. Left Field says:

Dave Kovic

43. StillConfused says:

My serious answer is Ronald Reagan but my for fun answer would have to be Morgan Freeman… his voice is amazing. He could melt al qaeda with that voice

44. Serious Answer: Grover Cleavland. See his veto statement:

“I can find no warrant for such an appropriation in the Constitution, and I do not believe that the power and duty of the general government ought to be extended to the relief of individual suffering which is in no manner properly related to the public service or benefit. A prevalent tendency to disregard the limited mission of this power and duty should, I think, be steadfastly resisted, to the end that the lesson should be constantly enforced that, though the people support the government, the government should not support the people.
    The friendliness and charity of our countrymen can always be relied upon to relieve their fellow-citizens in misfortune. This has been repeatedly and quite lately demonstrated. Federal aid in such cases encourages the expectation of paternal care on the part of the government and weakens the sturdiness of our national character, while it prevents the indulgence among our people of that kindly sentiment and conduct which strengthens the bonds of a common brotherhood.”

45. Fun Answer: I will have to agree with the nod to David Palmer. Just to have someone like Jack Bauer upon which you can rely makes you the greatest president.

46. I agree with Fletcher. Cleveland being in the pocket of the robber barons makes him pretty awesome. If only we could have open Social Darwinists in office today.

Historical context matters…back to the fun.

47. Loren Green as Cmdr. Adama and PRESIDENT of the “Quorum of the 12″ on the original Battlestar Galactica. He was overly dramatic, fought a cosmic version of satan and visited the planet Kolob, er Kobol. How many other presidents can claim that!

I voted for President David Palmer and his running mate, Laura Roslin.

49. Bartlett– because all his liberal wackadoo agenda was a fiction.

50. I had to vote for Joseph, because well, he’s Joseph. Can’t top that. But to be honest, he was a much better prophet, seer, and revelator than he was a president. One could argue that he didn’t preside very well at times (e.g., picking John C. Bennet as assistant president or whatever he was, and a number of other presidential/executive decisions that proved to be very bad). For a real best prez of the U.S. I have to go with George W. (George Washington, not George W. Bush). For a fictional president, I have to go with Morgan Freeman as Nelson Mandela (I loved that Rugby movie with the dude from The Bourne Identity).

51. And for a fun answer I have to go with Mayor Quimby from The Simpsons.

52. Ron Madson says:

Jimmy Carter, and I am not joking.

53. 6 measley votes for Super Grover? C’mon!

54. Calvin Coolidge was my vote.

55. You are all thinking too small.

Zaphod Beeblebrox, president of the Galaxy!

Not only that, but he stole the spaceship with the Improbability Drive, voted “Worst Dressed Sentient Being in the Known Universe” seven times, and was the only individual to ever survive the Total Perspective Vortex. Of course, he did sign the destruction order for the Earth, but it was an accident, as he thought he was signing autographs.

56. I guess since this is an LDS blog, no one voted for Martin Van Buren…

57. StillConfused says:

#45 — what a great statement… and has turned out to be very true

58. Or not.

59. Me, I preside in the home, so I must be a president. That is if my wife approves, which she sometimes does.

60. I guess it falls to me to nominate the current President of the Quorum of the Twelve Apostles has my vote. He has done what few LDS leaders had up to then been able to do: focus the mind of the not-yet-focused in a much-needed intramural debate (on a subject dear to my heart) in a way that others had up to then failed to do.

Those who would eagerly shout “Follow me, boys” owe a debt to those others whose more modest calling is merely to drag their heels and protest: “You’re going the wrong way!”

61. I know the poll is closed (I was skiiing with the family instead of browsing the interwebs) but how did nobody nominate Harrison Ford?

62. So, who were the leaders in the Other category? Were any competitive with Joseph Smith or Morgan Freeman?

63. #62–And, if they’d gotten around to it, Harrison Ford has also played Jack Ryan, who became president in one of those later Tom Clancy novels. Of course, if we’re doing “woulda coulda,” Alec Baldwin gets the same nomination.

64. StillConfused says:

I wish there were a “Like” button next to each comment (and a “crap” button too if needed) so that I could express my agreement or disagreement with comments without having to write a separate reply for each one. Any thoughts? Too facebook-y?

65. Hollywood Answer: Paul Giamatti As John Adams in the HBO series of the same name.

Real Answer: either Vaclav Havel or Nelson Mandela

There have been no great American presidents. Even the one’s who have the potential for greatness can’t achieve it because our politics won’t allow for that.

66. Anon,

What do you think it takes to be a great American president? I have a hard time not seeing George Washington as a very great president indeed.

67. I second Tom D’s question, Anon. What is your standard for greatness?

68. Washington was a great man and a great general. Not a great president. First of all, he didn’t really want the job. Hard to be great if your heart’s not in it.