Your Friday Firestorm #58

And now I show unto you a parable. Behold, wheresoever the carcass is, there will the eagles be gathered together; so likewise shall mine elect be gathered from the four quarters of the earth.

JST: Matthew, verse 27.

Discuss.

Comments

1. Chris Gordon says:

Um….

Gross.

2. I didn’t realize that eagles ate carrion. Kinda takes some of the majesty off of them being the US national bird.

3. the eagle isnt the national bird, its the blue footed boobie.

4. This reminds me of the Gospel of Thomas, does anyone know (Kevin?) whether there is a similar passage in that text?

Sorry I’m no help when it comes to the actual meaning.

5. Thomas Parkin says:

The carcass is Jesus. The eagles are the elect.

6. Thomas Parkin says:

We eat His flesh and drink His blood.

7. Starfoxy says:

I don’t know, I think it’s kind of a wonderful image.
    Consider the fact that carrion eaters are nature’s cleanup crew, so to speak. Without animals to eat the carrion quickly there would be more stink, more rot, more bugs, more disease and so on.

I would guess that in the context of the parable the rotting carcass would be disease, suffering, poverty, disaster and so on. The Lord’s elect will gather themselves together to ‘consume’ or eliminate suffering- those that avoid the carcass because it ‘stinks’ are not the Lord’s elect.

8. Bald eagles and golden eagles are limited to the Western Hemisphere. This parable likely refers to the Greater Spotted Eagle or Imperial Eagle, which are currently seasonal visitors to Israel/West Bank area, but nest and breed elsewhere. Eagles generally are known as predators, but wouldn’t turn aside from an easy meal of carrion when available.

Still no clue what it means.

9. Scott, I see your eagle compilation and raise you a chicken compilation.

10. Scott! OH MAN. Cynthia OH DEAR. Thank you thank you!

11. I think it must be referring to the Sacrament as we do not actually gather to Zion anymore but to her stakes. So , I think Thomas is correct. Just an icky image.

12. Sherri, did you mean to her steaks? Cause if I were an eagle, I’d definitely be gathering to some steaks.

13. some verses I’m perfectly happy to not understand.

We read 2 nephi 14 : 1 “And in that day, seven women shall take hold of one man, saying: We will eat our own bread, and wear our own apparel; only let us be called by thy name to take away our breproach.”

Having 7 daughters I felt like yelling “Squirrel” and moving on.

14. living in zion says:

I could think of a zillion better ways to describe relationships in the gospel. Dead animal carcasses just don’t do a think for me.
    I will have to stick with fluffy white baby sheep being carried by Jesus.

15. there’s that lovely image of jesus riding hte cute little snarky brontosaurus.

16. Maybe they were really chickens with large talons.

17. Wherever there is injustice, you will find them. Wherever there is suffering, they’ll be there. Wherever liberty is threatened, you will find… The Lord’s elect.

But do they use real bullets? Or shoot invisible swordsmen?

18. Starfoxy #8, I like it! That’s a great interpretation of that verse.

19. Thomas Parkin says:

You are what you eat!

20. It is about Living in Utah. The eagles are the twelve, who have to come back to Salt Lake for their weekly meeting. The carcass refers to the smell that comes off of the Great Salt Lake. The elect are the homegrown Utahns, or those transplanted to Utah.

21. Eagles get nourishment from carcassi and we get spiritual food from the gospel of Jesus Christ.

The modern-day equivalent would be:
    Behold, wheresoever the food is, there will the scouts be gathered together; so likewise shall mine elect be gathered from the four quarters of the earth.

22. Mike Parker says:

The same Greek word (aetos) can refer to eagles or vultures. In the context of the original passage, Matthew 24:28, the reference is clearly to vultures.

Mike is right. My Footnote to “eagles” is “OR vultures (unless this is meant as a specific reference to Roman troops at the destruction of Jerusalem).”

Aaron, I don’t think this specific saying is in the Gospel of Thomas, but this one is reminiscent of it:

56 Jesus said, “Whoever has come to know the world has discovered a carcass, and whoever has discovered a carcass, of that person the world is not worthy.”

25. Vegan version: “wheresoever the flower is, there will the hummingbirds be gathered together”

#14 I don’t know what a breproach is, but it sounds awful.

27. Thanks, Kevin. I should get myself a copy at some and read it.

28. Whoa… my wife and I have been watching all of Scrubs on Netflix and I have not noticed that JD says “Eeeeeeeeeeeeeeaaaaaagle!” all the time. Until now. We are in season seven. #fail

29. Scouting really is God’s cafeteria crew

30. Seriously, vultures flock to what fills them – that to which they are atrracted naturally. This verse seems to be saying that “mine elect” will gather when they recognize what will fill them – that to which they are attracted naturally.

31. MikeInWeHo says:

This one just didn’t seem very fiery. It’s more like Your Friday Fizzle this week.

32. I fixed the wikipedia article. Friday Firestorm was marked as inactive.

33. Carlos U. says:

I’ve always thought it could refer to the gathering in Missouri to build Zion. Where the elect gather, there will also be the briedegroom. Looking for Christ? Go where His people are, specially since so many of the preceding verses speak of the Second Coming. Don’t go looking in deserts or chambers or following false messiahs.