The Saturday Afternoon Only the Very Elect are Inside on a day like This Thread

We’re back. MTC choir with the sisters in colorful plumage, elders in dark suits. Conducted by Ryan Eggett. They sounded good warming up, just a little soprano-y.

First Presidency is on the stand.

President Eyring conducting.

New RS Presidency:

Linda K. Burton–served with husband as president of Korea Seoul West Mission. Studied elementary education at U of U. Married to Craig Burton, six children, 19 grandchildren.

Carole M. Stephens–attended Weber State and is a member of the Daughters of Utah Pioneers. Married to Martin R. Stephens, 6 children, 15 grandchildren.

Linda S. Reeves–served with her husband as president of California Riverside Mission. B.A. in Special Education from BYU. Married to Melvyn Reeves, 13 children (that’s not a typo).

Richard Maynes named to Presidency of the Seventy to succeed Elder Snow.
First Quorum: Larry Echo Hawk (Arlington, VA), Robert C. Gay (Palm Beach, FL), Scott D. Whiting (Kailua, HI)

Presiding Bishopric: Gary E. Stevenson, Gérald Caussé, Dean M. Davies

——

Elder Holland: Labourers in the Vineyard [British spelling retained for RJH and other loyalists and snobs]

It is important to note that no one has been treated unfairly here. The first workers agreed to the full wage of the day and received it.

…If there is any sympathy to be generated, it should be for the men not chosen, who also had mouths to feed and backs to clothe. Luck never seemed to be with them–they always saw someone else chosen. These last and most discouraged of laborers, hearing only that they will be treated fairly, accept work without knowing the wage, knowing that anything will be better than nothing which is what they have had so far. They are stunned to receive the same as all the others. Surely never had such compassion been seen in all their working days.

It is against that reading of the story that the grumbling of the first laborers must be seen.

Envy is a mistake that just keeps on giving.

What a bright prospect that is–downing another quart of pickle juice every time anyone around you has a happy moment.

What happened in this story at 9 or noon or 3 is swept up in the universally generous payment at the end of the day. The formula of faith is to hold on, work on, see it through, and let the distress of earlier hours fall away in the abundance of the final reward.

This is a story about generosity, compassion, and grace. Surely the thing God enjoys most about being God is the thrill of being merciful, especially to those who feel they don’t deserve it.

However late you think you are, however many chances you think you have missed, however many mistakes you have made, or talents you think you don’t have, or distance from home and family and God you feel you have traveled, I testify that you have not traveled beyond the reach of divine love. It is not possible for you to sink lower than the infinite light of Christ’s Atonement shines.

Come boldly to the throne of grace and fall at the feet of the Holy one of Israel. Come and feast without money and without price at the table of the Lord.

I testify of the renewing power of God’s love and the miracle of His grace.

Lead Kindly Light is going to take a long time at this tempo–time to start dinner.

Elder Hales: “Coming to Ourselves and Becoming Spiritually Self-Reliant: The Sacrament, The Temple, and Sacrifice in Service”

At times of darkness, challenge, sorrow, or sin, we may feel the Holy Ghost reminding us that we are truly sons and daughters of a caring Heavenly Father who loves us…At these times we should strive to come to ourselves and come back into the light of the Savior’s love.

More than just thinking about the facts of the Savior’s suffering and death, our pondering helps us recognize that through the Savior’s sacrifice, we have the hope opportunity, and strength to make real, heartfelt changes in our lives.

The sacrament gives us an opportunity to come to ourselves and experience “a mighty change of heart”–to remember who we are and what we most desire.

Patterns of Christlike living include obedience, making sacrifices to keep the commandments, loving one another, being chaste in thought and action, and giving of ourselves to build the Kingdom of God.

As our desires to learn and live the gospel increase, we naturally seek to serve one another.

With His love and the love of His Son in my heart, I challenge each of us to follow our spiritual desires and come to ourselves. We are on the right path when we can say, I worthily partake of the sacrament each week, I am worthy to hold a temple recommend, and I sacrifice to serve and bless others.

He knows us and waits for us, even when we are a great way off.

Elder Ulisses Soares: “Abide in the Lord’s Territory!”

To sow in the spirit means that all our thoughts, words, and actions must elevate us to the level of divinity of our Heavenly Parents.

To enhance our spirit, it is required that we “let all bitterness and wrath and anger and clamour, and evil speaking, be put away from us with all malice.”

The light of Christ together with the companionship of the Holy Ghost must help us determine if our manner of living is placing us in the Lord’s territory or not.

Elder Quentin Cook: “In Tune to the Music of Faith”

This is the Mormon moment talk.

Chief Rabbi Lord Sacks: “one culprit is an aggressive scientific atheism tone deaf to the music of faith…”

It needs to be taught and understood that we love and respect ALL of the people that Lehi described. Remember it is not up to us to judge. Judgment is the Lord’s.

Shout-out to scout leaders and nursery leaders. AMEN!!

A dividing line between those who hear the music of faith and those who are tone deaf or off key, is the active study of the scriptures.

Our doctrine is clear; we are to be positive and of good cheer. We emphasize our faith, not our fears. We rejoice in the Lord’s assurance that He will stand by us and give us guidance and direction. The Holy Ghost testifies to our hearts that we have a loving Father in Heaven whose merciful plan for our redemption will be fulfilled in every aspect because of the atoning sacrifice of Jesus Christ.

Elder Scott: distinction between revelation and inspiration

“Relationships can be strengthened through the veil with people we know and love.” Maybe Elder Scott has been reading Kierkegaard.
(http://bycommonconsent.com/2012/03/07/generational-translation-and-work-for-the-dead/)

Enemies to revelation: loud laughter, exaggeration, loudness
Aids to revelation: careful speech, good health practices, avoiding distractions

Revelation can also be given in a dream. “Inspired communication in the night is generally accompanied by a sacred feeling for the entire experience. …He may in a dream make it both easier to understand and more likely to touch our hearts by teaching us through someone we love and respect.”

For spirituality to grow stronger and more available it must be planted in a righteous environment. Haughtiness, pride and conceit are like stony ground that will never produce spiritual fruit.

When we are acting as instruments in behalf of others, we are more easily inspired than when we think only of ourselves. In the process of helping others, the Lord can piggy-back directions for our own benefit.

You will be prompted to know what to do as you meet the conditions for such divine guidance in your life, namely: obedience to the commandments, trust in His divine plan of happiness, and the avoidance of anything contrary to it.

Comments

1. 21-23 year olds always sound a little soprano-y.

2. Bored in Vernal says:

Wow, might be the only time I get to be numbered with the elect.

3. StilllConfused says:

I like it better when the gals all match

4. Check out the perfect placement on all those missionary name tags!

5. I really dislike this talk.

6. Anyone else looking for David Archuleta in the choir?

7. Bored in Vernal says:

This choir really is just sooo cute. Love these fresh-faced missionaries.

8. @maria — LOL! True, he should be there!

9. Kristine says:

Do y’all raise your hands at home?

10. If my hands aren’t busy with my popcorn.

11. Bored in Vernal says:

He changes his tie for every session!! Awesome.

12. Kristine says:

Also, after hearing Elder Uchtdorf say his own name, I dare anybody to tell me that German sounds “guttural.”

13. Did we just catch Packer napping?

14. Smile, Elder Holland!

15. StilllConfused says:

surprise closeup of packer… thought he was asleep/dead

16. He probably didn’t arrive soon enough to get in on the rehearsals.

17. Bored in Vernal says:

It was interesting watching the posture of the different Apostles. JRH looked angry.. with arms crossed & all. eek.

18. Uchdorf’s pronunciation of his middle name may be the highlight of the weekend.

19. Yes!! I was hoping that Uchtdorf would change his tie. Then I saw Eyring with the same tie and my hopes of tie changes were dashed. But Dieter came through! (to be clear, I liked his morning tie, but it just seemed like it would be cool if he changed it up for each session, just on principle)

20. Wow, released the presiding bishopric.

21. StilllConfused says:

Okay, snacks over here for this session:
    Fresh Salsa (tomatos, avacado, corn, black eyed peas, french onions, italian dressing)
    corn chips
    carrots, apple slices and fresh peas

22. It might just have been an accident with the soup at lunch. But I’ll agree with Kristine on his pronunciation of “Uchtdorf.”

23. Roll those Rs!

24. StilllConfused says:

Uchdorf (sp?) can sure roll his Rs

25. Uchtdorf is rocking all these pronunciations.

The RS presidency looks like a 4th July theme. :)

26. Sister Beck!!!

27. chelseaw says:

New RS Presidency!!

28. Dang, a lot of releases this Conference, the R.S. Presidency too?

29. On behalf of all churchmembers named “Miguel”, I am offended that Uchtdorf doesn’t know how to pronounce our name.

30. Big changes in the auxiliaries this time.

31. StilllConfused says:

Woah, my brother in law just got upgraded. What does that mean?

32. @StillConfused, that is my signature secret recipe salsa! I guess it’s not such a secret. It’s goooooood though, right?

33. Was that Larry Echohawk? I missed it.

34. Wow. Didn’t expect RS Presidency to be released. But I guess it’s been five years.

35. My sources tell me that Chieko Okazaki has been resurrected early, and she will now serve as RS President in her new exalted state.

36. Wow. Some big changes today.

37. I’m going to start pronouncing Barbara like Pres. Uchtdorf- that was awesome. I will miss Sister Beck!!

38. StilllConfused says:

Yes. Larry Echohawk. My buddy. He is cool

39. I can’t decide which of Uchtdorf’s ties I like better.

40. andrew h says:

Wow, New presiding Bishopric – I have a new Boss!

41. StilllConfused says:

So what does it mean if you move from second quorum to first? Is that a promotion?

We have a Jesus in the house!!

42. StilllConfused says:

moroneeee.. awesome

43. They need a news crawl to catch all those names

44. Honestly, I think the Pres. Bishopric is the biggest change. We get new RS Presidencies routinely. But Burton has been in there forever and those guys handle basically all the financial business of the LDS Church. It’s gotta be a high influence position.

45. LOTS of African names in the area authorities.

46. Big year for guys named Moroni!

47. First Obama appointee to serve as a GA. Awesome. :)

48. Ok, so, does anybody know anything about these new RS sisters???

49. andrew h says:

Is the new RS President Bishop Burton’s wife?

50. I guess my sources weren’t trustworthy. Oh well.

51. I admit I was hoping the new RS presidency would be Kristine, Joanna, and Laurel. Maybe in a few years…

52. J. Stuart says:

@45 Loving it. I’m hoping some correction of Bott-elism is given over the next few days.

53. StilllConfused says:

Larry Echohawk was my criminal law professor… his first year teaching. Pretty sure I traumatized him

54. Is the Gordon H. Smith they just sustained to the seventy the same guy who’s the former U.S. Senator from Oregon?

55. Oh, the most exciting part of the conference!!

56. andrew h says:

Tim – Who was the Obama appointee?

57. American Eagle says:

Why doesn’t the Church say how much money it takes in?

58. andrew h says:

Margaret – I was hoping for a new RS Pres. W/ Margaret Blair Young in it

59. I’m an auditor…this is my big shout out!!

60. The audit is my favorite part of General Conference. Heartwarming and riveting!!!

61. If the auditing department is independent of all other offices in the Church, does that mean they’re semi-apostate?

62. My Grandfather set up the independent church auditing department under the guidance of N. Eldon Tanner. He tells amazing stories of cleaning corruption out of the church when the auditing department became independent.

63. Not Steve Evans says:

I am extremely surprised that the bloggers of FMH were not called to the new Relief Society Presidency. They are eminently qualified to lead the women of the Church.

64. Researcher says:

Larry Echohawk is head of the Bureau of Indian Affairs.

65. Not semi-, Mark. You can’t be lukewarm or you get spewed out. Pretty sure that means they are 100% apostate!

66. The Church doesn’t “take” money in, it’s willingly donated.

67. Not Steve Evans says:

Burton got the boot so he can take the fall for the mall.

68. Sister Okazaki. Sniff. Excuse me, I have something in my eye…

69. StilllConfused says:

So does that mean that Larry Echohawk isn’t running the BIA anymore? I am so out of touch with politics

70. Not Steve Evans says:

What is it with the red ties???

71. Red ties are easy to go with black/white?

72. Not Steve, pick your own (non-derivative) handle or face my wrath.

73. Ah, day laborers. Hiring them in Arizona would be a crime. Thanks, Bro. Pearce!

74. Love Elder Holland’s smack downs!

75. Jacob Givens says:

Hey will the Priesthood session be liveblogged?

76. andrew h says:
  77. kentslarsen says:

I’m pleased to see Brazilian Moroni Torgan called, but I wonder if it won’t take him out of Brazilian politics. He was a former Senator in Brazil before serving as mission president, and I expected him to run again.

78. chelseaw says:

To quote Jack Donaghy: “If your tie isn’t red or blue, you’re looking for a certain kind of bar.”

79. American Eagle says:

How is it possible that Elder Holland doesn’t have any gray hair?

80. Bored in Vernal says:

Socialism?

81. Bored in Vernal says:

we are not diminished when someone else is added upon. I like that.

82. Kristine says:

“We are not diminished when someone else is added upon. …The race we are really in is the race against sin, and surely envy is one of the most universal of those.”
    “Envy is a mistake that just keeps on giving.”

“What a bright prospect that is–downing another quart of pickle juice every tiem anyone around you has a happy moment.”

Nice.

83. andrew h says:

I think you’re right “Bored” Sic the tea party on him.

84. StillConfused says:

Actually, for once you will hear me say something about the talk… this is a big mantra of mine. There is never a need to be jealous of someone else’s accomplishments. I think it is great when other people do great things.

85. Uh-oh: my daughter LIKES to drink pickle juice.

86. So I guess I can’t be jealous of those 3 MegaMillions winners. But they played the lottery, so that lucre is filthy.

87. The new RS presidency:
    Linda K. Burton, Pres

Carole M. Stephens, 1st

Linda S. Reeves, 2nd

88. StillConfused says:

“tearing other’s down does not improve your standing” — glad to hear that. This is one of my pet peeves with attending LDS church… so much putting other people down rather than be excited for their successes

89. I got this on the new RS president, Linda Burton from FMH

90. kentslarsen says:

OH, Bro. Torgan was called as an Area Seventy — I don’t know, but perhaps he will stay in politics.

91. Can anyone say what bible translation Elder Holland is using?

92. Haha, Bonjo! You are right. Very timely talk.

93. Kristine says:

Don’t hyperventilate about something that happened at 9 in the morning when the grace of God is trying to reward you at 6:00 in the evening.

94. Kristine says:

Historical trouble proves only that mortals will always struggle to measure up to the immortal hopes placed before them.

95. He included grievances against the church.

96. StillConfused says:

Okay, I liked this talk. I actually paid attention

97. What a wonderful talk. Elder Holland nails it.

98. BYU football players drink pickle juice.

99. StillConfused says:

Man Slam… is that the first one of the day

100. Kristine says:

A Mormon sermon on grace–hallelujah!!

101. Extending the olive branch to former members. Love it.

102. John Taber says:

It could be the same Gordon Smith who was a Senator that was called. Right age, anyway.

Kristine – do you remember Tripp Meredith in Franklin stake? He is a couple of years older than me, but his mother and my mother were good friends in Nashville Third. More recently he was president of McMinnville stake. Anyway, I thought I recognized Alvin F. Meredith III as a new Area Seventy.

103. StillConfused says:

Very Christian talk. I like it.

104. Is it a man-slam if it happens to be true?

It usually is the guys who leave the church and let their wives fend for themselves. The RfM message board is full of them – often boasting about how they bully their still believing wives.

105. Kristine says:

John, of course I remember Tripp–makes me feel REALLY old!

106. What a boss.

He always nails his point home and yet manages to say things in such tactful ways. Even when asking for more from men he at least said, “not always, but often.”

107. StillConfused says:

Be careful of pickle juice… it is typically filled with Yellow #5.

108. BONJO– re Post #87, if any of those megamillions winners are LDS, should they pay tithing on those winnings?

109. StillConfused says:

They shouldn’t pay tithing… they should shop at the new mall

110. andrew h says:

John, the Gordon Smith called is from Maryland, the one who was a senator was born in Oregon, so it is likely a different guy

111. Katie Blakesley says:

I loved Elder Holland’s talk. Well done. Sister Echo Hawk is in our Stake RS Presidency. She is incredible. I’m sad to see them go. :(

112. I loved his talk and hoped that SOMEHOW one or two my kids might have listened to it.
    BTW, Fred Parker (new area Seventy) is African American. He has been the SP inm Atlanta. Magnificant man!

113. Love that Elder Holland just used pickle juice negatively in his talk. By the way, where is Elder Bednar today?

114. Are Sister missionaries currently allowed to wear blouses/tops/dresses that have prints on them, or are they limited to solid colors?

115. Kudos to John Cardinal Newman!

116. Don’t the ladies have any sensible colored clothes?

117. Jacob Givens says:

Two apostles always sit over at the tabernacle.

118. StillConfused says:

My poor husband… here I am “oh who is that; he is old” then they show the name and I say “Oh I recognize that name; he is famous”.

119. Wow, Elder Hales has aged since October.

120. I guess they decided to have Packer and Hales both speak today just in case they decide to “check out” overnight?

121. How long has Elder Hales been on oxygen? Wow it is noisy.

122. @Ned- he was there this morning. Perhaps he is in the Tabernacle or Assembly Hall this afternoon.

123. #111, the Church News release says that the Gordon Smith who was called is from Bethesda, MD, and the erstwhile Senator Smith is the president and CEO of the National Association of Broadcasters in Washington, D.C. So it well could be the same person.

124. StillConfused says:

Is there something sticking out of his nostrils?

125. Somehow, he’s reminding me of the guy who played “Q” on STTNG.

126. Hales looked notably “aged” at last October conference as well.

127. Ebenezer Robinson says:

#41: change from a temporary to a permanent calling — at least permanent till age 70.

128. EmmaNadine says:

I think they are oxygen cannula. It looked like Packer had them in this morning as well.

129. American Eagle says:

I thought the whole point of Elder Holland’s talk was the oblique reference he made to not letting something in Church history bother you.

130. David Archuleta sighted in the choir!

131. Kristine says:

132. andrew h says:

124 – It will be interesting if it is him. Didn’t Senator Smith Support Gay Rights and come out against the War in Iraq?

133. StillConfused says:

Okay, I can see the cannula in his nose but I can’t see the cord from there. How is this working?

134. Kristine says:

“Fathers, priesthood leaders, and quorum presidencies have a special responsibility to help Aaronic Priesthood holders earnestly prepare to perform their sacred sacrament duties.”

Excellent. Perhaps they’ll take over the Nagging about Filthy Fingernails detail.

135. #124, Both of them are the same age too, I think it’s likely they might be the same one.

136. EmmaNadine says:

134 – I think they wrap up behind the flare of the nostrils and then along the frame of the glasses. I was staring at Packer during his whole talk trying to figure it out.

137. Christopher says:

Andrew h (111): it is former senator smith that was called. He lives in Bethesda, MD.

138. Jacob Givens says:

Stillconfused> http://www.oxyview.com/

139. StillConfused says:

“treat our families with kindness” — is that a new requirement for a temple recommend. Because I know many people with recommends but who are horrible to family members.

140. The tubes are incorporated into the eyeglasses. If you’re viewing on high def or full screen you can see they come out of the brown part of the frames. Pretty cool design, eh?

141. StillConfused says:

Oxyview is the coolest thing ever! Whoever invented that should win a huge award for awesomeness

142. DesertWanderer says:

Re: Gordon H. Smith – “Gordon and his wife Sharon live in Bethesda, Md., and are the parents of two children and one grandchild.” – http://www.nabef.org/documents/board/gordonSmith.asp – He was hired by NABEF after his Senate defeat.

143. chelseaw says:

Joe In Alaska: everything you ever wanted to know about sister missionaries’ dress standards: http://missionary.lds.org/dress-grooming

144. Kristine says:

The purpose of both temporal and spiritual self-reliance is to get ourselves on higher ground so that we can lift others in need.

145. Kristine says:

Yay!! The Poet.

146. StillConfused, there’s been a temple recommend question about whether there’s any conduct towards your family members that isn’t in harmony with church teachings. That question’s been there for a while, so it’s not exactly new.

147. Ebenezer Robinson says:

138 – With Elder Jensen gone, they need a token Democrat amongst the GAs.

148. StillConfused says:

He said “mirra” rather than “mirror”… I do that

149. Gordon Smith is a Republican. It’s Elder Echohawk who’ll be the token Democrat.

150. 148 — it won’t be Elder Smith, though, who’s a Republican.

151. Kristine says:

Better poetry than The Poet’s:
    “He knows us and waits for us, even when we are a great way off.”

152. StillConfused says:

Thanks Elle. The worst mistreatment of family members that I have seen recently has been done by TR holders.

153. Time for a five minute break. Called to something else.

154. andrew h says:

A former Senator now a 70. I’m glad they don’t call people over the age of 70, if they ever called Orrin Hatch to be a GA I’d have to apostatize.

155. Wow! Elder Hales just gave me four bingos. Great talk filled with buzzwords.

156. Kristine says:

Maybe we should have an actual single mother give this talk…

157. MINI-ME!!!

158. Holy cow. Specifically addressed to single parents. A first?

159. Ohh, where are the talks for the single fathers?

160. StillConfused says:

White guy talking about single mothers reminds me of the white guy politicians determining women’s health

161. Wow, a second talk acknowledging that the speaker himself was the product of a non-“ideal” family. Single moms–your kids have good odds of ending up as General Conference speakers!

162. Chelsea–thanks for the reference to Sister Missionaries’ dress standards.

163. Right Still.

Because only people of a certain class are allowed to have thoughts about that class.

164. Scar!

165. Rivkah, he addressed the talk to “single parents.” He said that statistically, most are women. But the talk is addressed to both.

166. Better a man talking about single motherhood than to have no one talking about them at all.

167. John Taber says:

“In the Kingdom of God, there are no second-class citizens.”

168. @157: How about the son of a single mom?

169. Even if the talk is not given from the ideal demographic, this is great that it is being given nonetheless. And he is doing a good job.

170. No second class citizens? That goes against everything a former bishop said in our ward’s testimony meeting several months ago. He stated to the young men that if they didn’t serve a mission, they would be treated as second class citizens in the church.

The word of the session to partake from the candy bowl is FAMILY. It has finally begun to pay off this session.

171. StillConfused, that seems like a really harsh and misdirected comparison. He is talking about his own childhood, to some extent. He can’t talk about that?

172. If you waited for members of a disadvantaged class to do the talking about that class, then the issue simply wouldn’t be talked about at all.

173. Yes! A whole talk just for single mothers. Perhaps in this conference or a future one there will also be such a talk for single fathers. “There are no second class citizens in the Kingdom of God” <—did I hear that correctly?

174. I don’t know….

What do we call people in the Terrestrial and Telestial kingdoms?

175. THe candy bowl is about due for a refill

176. StillConfused says:

I stand corrected. I like that he is giving the talk. He has direct understanding of the situation.

177. And a shout out to the single dads!!!

178. Kristine says:

Ned, yes–“in the Kingdom of God there are no second-class citizens.”

179. Yes, again! He also mentions single fathers.

180. Loved this talk.

181. “You can’t change the past, but you can shape the future”

182. This is a good talk.

It kind of pisses me off that so much of America would be willing to dismiss it for stupid and brainless reasons like “he’s a privileged white guy!”

Seriously America. Grow up.

183. While much of the talk is great, I do wish he wouldn’t point to a “future” whole-ness, which implies that the single parent family is still not complete.

184. StillConfused says:

That is an important talk because when I was a single mom I WAS most definitely treated as a second class citizen at church but not anywhere else. SO I am glad to hear they are going to pay more attention to that

185. Fabulous talk. So much food for thought. The accent didn’t hurt, either!

186. And Still, that wasn’t personally directed. The train of discussion just got me thinking about that. Carry on all.

187. Scottish grit FTW! Great talk!

188. You can’t change the past, but you can change the way you see the past. You can also write multiple versions of the past and leave it up to your followers to choose which of those several differing view they choose to believe.

189. Kristine says:

“have touchéd my heart…” So sweet!

190. (And about Gordon Smith: though he’s a Republican, while in office he was supported by none other but the Human Rights Campaign…)

191. @ Ben P. Thought I heard him say his mom met and married a convert and were sealed in the temple.

192. Echohawk is both a noted Democrat and a law professor.

The Audit department does more about apostasy than the Strengthening the Membership committee ever dreamed of.

Some great talks.

BTW, the new comment system tends to lock out anyone with a WordPress account — including an inactive one. So much for my gravatar.

193. Kristine says:

“In Doctrine and Covenants 20:37, the Lord teaches us what it means to sow in the Spirit and what really places us in the Lord’s territory, as follows: humble ourselves before God, witness we have come forth with broken hearts and contrite spirits, testify to the Church that we have truly repented, take upon ourselves the name of Jesus Christ, have a determination to serve Him to the end…”

Whew! I thought it might be something difficult ;)

194. 161 (StillConfused): I think it’s better that a male GA is speaking of it. It signifies that the male leadership of the church recognizes the issue and is prepared to act on the issue, rather than a member of the relief society simply trying to make people aware of the issue.

195. StillConfused says:

Kristine, how do you get the long quote up so quickly?

196. 178 — yes, he spoke from having been a single dad.

197. The Mormon Moment! This is going to be interesting.

198. I hated that quote. not gonna lie.

Do we need all this us vs. them stuff?

199. “An aggressive scientific atheism, tonedeaf to the music of faith.”

Yup. That’s pretty darn descriptive.

200. I was cooing over that, too, Kristine (191).

201. The best thing I’ve seen Archulta in is Tosh.0

202. “There are those who are in tune with the music of faith, you know who you are.” huh. Bloggernacle flame war about who is in tune and who is flat in 3, 2, 1, ….

203. Trevor, it’s kind of hard not to be against them, given the way New Atheists tend to act.

204. Kristine says:

Shout-out to scout leaders and nursery leaders. AMEN!!

205. Bored in Vernal says:

I thought it was interesting that Elder Hales said we can tell we are on the right path if we are worthily partaking of the sacrament, have a temple recommend, and are serving in the Church. I liked Elder Soares’ take on this better. He said that we can tell we are living right if the HG is inviting and enticing us to do good. I’ve known too many people who have those outer signifiers who are not living a very Christ-like life.

206. “…an aggressive scientific atheism that’s tone deaf to spiritual (matters)…”
    We quote Catholics when they agree with us.

207. It is not up to us to judge! Have the courage to refrain from judging others! Ok, now calling off the Bloggernacle flame war. :-)

208. StillConfused says:

#197. Very good point. I have completely changed and am pro that talk in its entirety. Now if it trickles down that would be great

209. “it is not up to us to judge.” important point.

210. Well, and notice he didn’t talk about *science* and *atheism* – he mentioned *scientific atheism*, which seems to refer to the naturalistic, rationalistic worldview that by definition exclusion the experimentally untestable.

211. Seth R.

I think the use of the word “scientific” is what makes that an annoying quote, not “atheism.” I want us to befriend science and acknowledge that you can like science and God. Aggressively pairing them hurts us.

212. Reared our kids in truth and wretchedness. Mostly.

213. StillConfused says:

#208. Amen!!!

214. @Seth R. #210 glad you nabbed the quote more accurately than I did. Thanks!

215. The kids are digging these FAMILY themed talks — lots of candy bowl opportunities.

216. We quote anyone when they agree with us.

217. StillConfused says:

I raised my children to be good Christians. To treat others nicely and look out for the underdog and the mistreated.

218. Kristine says:

“Our great desire is to raise our children in truth and righteousness. One principle that will help us accomplish this is to avoid being overly judgmental about conduct that is foolish or unwise, but not sinful.”

Hmmm–I can think of a few people who might need that on a Post-It on their computers…

219. “Some have used humor.”

Take that, Trey Parker and Matt Stone :P

220. #208, I think that would be a quote from a Jewish Rabbi to Catholics.

221. Why shouldn’t we quote anyone who speaks the truth?

222. Kristine says:

Ned–that was the Chief Rabbi of England, not a Catholic. Your point stands (although I’m not sure that it’s particularly insightful–most people quote people they agree with).

223. Kristine says:

“The message, ministry, and Atonement of Jesus Christ, our Savior is our essential family curriculum.”

224. Scientic proof still needs to be confirmed with a spiritual testimony. OR something like that.

225. I wish we would never talk about Egyptology in conference ever again… At least he sort of saved it there.

I don’t think we believe in the virgin birth…? do we?

226. I was worried that his story was going to turn into a proofimony, but it went the other way. Nice.

227. Peter LLC says:

most people quote people they agree with

228. We don’t like the “scientific” when it disagrees with us, but we do like “academic” when it goes against the “humorous” that chides us.

229. @228, totally, BenP.

230. Lolz, this finger thing is hilarious. Nice tie-back to Mark Twain.

231. StillConfused says:

I have no issue with scientific. I have never felt it was in conflict with religious. Not in my book anyway

232. It’s also important to remember that there is nothing simpler than ridicule in attacking a position. It costs nothing. It requires no arguments or study from you. And places the entire argumentative burden upon the object of your ridicule.

Which is why I’ve long been of the opinion that atheism (particularly “new atheism”) is the intellectual refuge of the mentally lazy.

All you have to do is sneer at things, fold your arms, and sit back and let other people conduct the argument for you.

Nothing simpler. Any idiot can do it.

233. About the quote – the criticism was not that people are scientific – but that they are tonedeaf to the spiritual while being scientific.

234. #227 Yes, we do.

235. #234 – Additionally, humor only works on limited information. Nuance just kills it.

236. So far no “women you are so awesome and perfect and naturally spiritual up on that pedestal, I don’t understand why you don’t think that you are equal when in fact you are Incredible!” talks. THANK GOODNESS.

237. Kristine says:

Seth R.–it was, in fact “scientific atheism”, a wholly different entity than science or scientific reasoning. (Also, it’s not reallly very accurate, since atheism is outside the realm of scientific falsifiability anyway).

238. #234

absolutely. Bill Maher’s brain dead “baptizing” of Romney’s ancestors as “atheists” being a case-in-point.

239. Jacob Givens says:

Will he speak on repentance? Again?

240. StillConfused says:

Bring up the priesthood ban… but carefully

241. (totally random aside: when you type “Mormon women are” into google, the #1 thing it wants to autocomplete for you is “hot”, and the #2 thing is “incredible”)

242. Kristine says:

I don’t think it’s safe to have Elder Scott speak when everyone is sleepy anyway, then send everyone out to drive. I hope the closing prayer includes noharmoraccidentwillcometous.

243. Kristine,

Atheists are so evasive about the meaning of the word “atheist” that it’s hard to really say what that word means anyway. So I don’t really begrudge Elder Cook in picking a popular meaning of the word and running with it.

244. OK. Elder Scott, I love his insights.

245. Researcher says:

Elder Cook is one of my very favorite speakers. This talk was very good. His talk at last conference was a classic.

And, on a lighter note, my kids have a conference activity which includes identifying the speakers’ names and pictures (it also involves treats), and my four-year-old is now convinced that he just saw “Tintin” Cook.

246. Jacob Givens says:

Still laughing at 244.

247. Peter LLC says:

the intellectual refuge of the mentally lazy. [...] Any idiot can do it.

So…nothing simpler?

248. Jacob Givens says:

Ok, now I am no longer laughing at 244. Sorry, Elder.

249. Our health habits affect our ability to receive revelation.

250. My laughter is loud. :(

251. Anger, hurt, and defensiveness will keep us from the Holy Ghost. Interesting, those second two.

252. StillConfused says:

Hey, I like loud laughter

253. On the other hand, good humor can aid revelation…

254. Awesome. Admitted that dreams can be revelation!

255. Kristine — re:244, as soon as he was announced as the final speaker, I made a comment about Elder Scott preparing us all for nap time(it is almost 2 PM here). I was hastily reprimanded by my spiritually minded wife.

I do have to say this is one of Elder Scott’s better talks.

256. I guess I’m being punished for my loud laughter because I just lost the feed!

257. I saw Jeffery Holland displaying loud laughter between sessions of conference once.

258. I just cannot see the Spirit as so delicate as to be scared off my any part of humanity.

259. I can Tracy.

Our relationship with God is very much about our acceptance and willingness to have it. It doesn’t take much for us to tune it out.

260. I’ve always thought of the “loud laughter” clause along the lines of happy, loud drunks stumbling out of the pub: Not a matter of volume, but of decorum.

261. I don’t think the Spirit is scared by humanity, but offended by it and often rejected by humanity.

262. Paul Tillich observed that the Atheist is justified by faith–because it takes as much faith to be an atheist as it does to be a believer, a theist. Both are positions of faith. It takes no faith to be an agnostic.

263. StillConfused says:

I think you alone determine if the spirit is with you. If you feel it won’t be with you because it is offended then it won’t. If you don’t believe that, then the spirit won’t leave you.

264. Right, but we too often treat the sprit like a brittle teacup we can break- feeling like we have to put on our best face, when God already knows our hearts. We cannot break the Spirit- like Christ, he can walk among the lowest of humanity. When we act as though we have the power to break it, what hubris. It’s about us an our humility.

265. StillConfused says:

Maybe the Spirit should listen to one of those talks about not being so easily offended

266. Well, NOBODY GO LOOK AT THE “Matsby’s GenCon LOL Cats” LINK IN THE SIDEBAR! Seriously, don’t! You will laugh loudly!

267. This is why I think it’s key to note Elder Scott’s emphasis: The *disposition* to do right brings peace of mind [presumably through the Spirit]. If we want to do right and fail, congrats, we’re human – but so long as we still want to do right, the Spirit will aid us.

268. Archuleta!!!

269. chelseaw says:

And we close on Archuleta.

270. We spent the entire closing hymn playing SPOT ELDER ARCHULETA.

271. I think the bond with the Spirit IS fragile. Sure, it might help one’s self-esteem to think your bad behavior doesn’t have consequences. But it does.

272. And the teens in my house go wild for the Archuleta sighting!

273. Wher is Archulta going on his mission?

274. On a serious note, I loved the session. General Conference has been outstanding so far.

275. We are rewinding to see Elder Archuleta again!

276. Holy criminy Seth R, you actually thing that’s what I’m saying? Good grief.

277. JA Benson says:

Nothing like watching GC with your 14 year old daughter who squeals at the Elder D. Archuleta sightings…priceless!!

278. Tracy, I’ll accept that wasn’t what you meant then. But that is how I read it.

279. Time for the final four!!! See you all tomorrow. And I’ll try to live blog a little during priesthood session. If I’m not too busy watching the 2nd game on my iPad

280. I missed the Archuleta sighting! Not that I would even know what I was looking for. But yay for all those who enjoyed it.

Seriously, two of the finest conference sessions in recent years, I think. I feel cut down in needed ways, and lifted up in healing ways. Outstanding conference so far.

281. I’ve read that Archuleta is going to an unspecified mission in Chile. Just entered the MTC this past Wednesday.

282. Because I’m watching this as a mother with some kids in difficult places, I heard all of Elder Scott’s qualifications for “feeling the Spirit” and thought–no. My prayers have an effect. The words I speak in the Temple have an effect. My children can feel the Spirit REGARDLESS of their behavior if they’re with others who radiate it; if they feel unconditionally loved by those around them; if they sing songs which testify of things their hearts once cherished. The Spirit can bring all things to the memory, even when we wish we could forget. Sometimes we wish we could forget some dark period of our lives. Sometimes, we wish we could forget times we were spiritually moved, bec ause that memory calls us to a place we might not be sure we fit into anymore. Elder Holland’s words (which I posted on my FB status) are the hopeful reminder that the Spirit can reach us no matter where we are.

283. annegb5298 says:

I was excited to see Elder Archuleta, as well. Tracy, I totally agree with your 266 (? is that right, my memory is half a second long). Once, my RS president said “the Holy Ghost left the room” when two sisters argued about something. I thought, “what about the rest of us?”

We went to a David Archuleta concert in December. He’s a pretty neat kid, but oy, all the screaming. I realized how old I was.

Kristine, I fall asleep every time Elder Scott talks. He’d probably make a good hypnotist.

284. John Taber says:

There are times, particularly when I’m in what could be called “Paint it Black” mode, that the Spirit is completely absent.

285. So, what’s the deal with not announcing any new temples today? Is Pres. Monson waiting to do the big announcement tomorrow, or were we just not righteous enough to deserve more temples?

286. Here’s a screenshot of the David Archuleta close-up. You can even read his nametag!

287. The talk about single moms ended (oddly) with a statement that it also applies to single dads. But they already left to get a sandwich when they heard the introduction. Better to leave out gender altogether. Likewise in Elder Holland’s excellent talk.

288. I am sure I heard the single parents talk start off with a very explicit introduction saying it was to “single parents.” Then there was something about most of them being women. But he said “single parents” before he ever said “single mom.”

289. As a hopelessly prodigal son Elder Holland’s talk moved me greatly to know I can always/should always strive to come back. I am never out of the reach of the atoning light of Christ.

290. I am traveling cross-country today and will be in conference meetings all day tomorrow, so this is the only confernce access I will have – except for the first few talks in the first session.

Thanks, everyone, for lettting me know at least what the talks said.

291. @Ray, please assure us you are riding or flying and not driving and reading texts.

292. “My children can feel the Spirit REGARDLESS of their behavior if they’re with others who radiate it;”

This is absolutely right, Margaret. Even if they are not with others who radiate it. Though they may not what it is or why. In the years I was away from the church, I would sometimes be out walking, or being doing something solitary and quiet, and would feel the Spirit. And I would wonder why, considering the myriad things I’d involved myself in, I’d have thought I’d put myself well beyond that. Later on, I figured that someone, my parents, or dead grandparents, were seeking me out.

293. #290. The talk did start with “single parents”, but the demographic about gender immediately followed, and the rest of the talk was addressed specifically to “sisters” and children without fathers, with the quick disclaimer at the end.

294. Oxygen cannula for Elder Packer? The thought occurred to me that they were nose piercings (okay, under the nose piercings), but that couldn’t be right. He wouldn’t have snake bites (or whatever they’re called when they are under the nostrils).

Anyway, thanks for clearing that up.

295. Elder Holland’s talk was beautiful.

296. It’s fun to see our neighbor called as the new Presiding Bishop. Elder Stevenson is a wonderful man.

297. Where is the priesthood session live blog? Uchdorf is talking without a flying story and it is powerful and wonderful.

298. Exactly! I’m lying in wait for the priesthood session here, and no one has begun anything!

299. Chris Gordon says:

Wish I could claim this quote, but when Satan goes to sleep at night, he checks under his bed for Elder Holland first.

300. The priesthood session was the best in some time for me.

301. I am also lying in wait for the priesthood session! Come on, I love asking my husband specifics about it when he gets home, haha!

302. Thanks for the thread Kristine. I wasn’t very elect for this morning’s session (spent the time canyon-carving a bit too fast on my bike), but the priesthood session just now was superb. Pres. Uchtdorf’s talk, in particular, was very meaningful for me.

303. Random thought while looking at the Newsroom’s press release about the new RS Presidency— I LOVE Linda Reeves’ suit. That is one classy looking suit.

304. (sorry–I’ve been in the market for a new suit lately, so these things catch my eye more than usual. In fact I spent 2 hours shopping for one today and came home empty-handed. Sister Reeves, where did you get this?)

305. Paul Bohman says:

#264 “It takes no faith to be an agnostic.”

This is so untrue. An agnostic may not know what the truth is about God, and may feel that it is unknowable, but that means that everything the agnostic does in life is based on faith that life still somehow matters, even if there is no God. It isn’t a faith in someone else’s truth-claims as it is for religionists. It is a very personal faith in one’s self, in life, and in others. Sometimes this is a difficult thing to muster when a person realizes that life may in fact have no meaning beyond itself. It takes faith to lead a moral life, even in light of the very real possibility that there will be no accounting for immoral acts in this life or the next. It is a different kind of faith than religionists are used to, but it is very definitely faith.

306. AnonLDS says:

Priesthood session most memorable moment “google it” (stunned silence) “but be careful” lots of laughter.

307. Isn’t there any Sunday morning thread?

308. Actually, the workaholics are also inside on a day like this. Working. In my case, editing a thesis paper. Lovely view through the window, though.