Habemus papam

That was quick!

Comments

1. Wait, Habermas is pope? I didn’t even know he was a Cathaholic.

2. Jürgonna like him popin’ it up!

3. BBC experts predicting Scola.

4. Keeping an eye on @pontifex.

5. Argentina! Jesuit!

6. Cardinal Jorge Mario Bergoglio, Pope Francis I.

7. Awesome. My daughter turns twelve today and is about to walk in the door home from school. I’m glad to be able to give her some fun memorable news.

8. Not a Vatican insider, not Italian, not European, conservative, interested in social justice, lives relatively modestly. Not really a radical shift but still something . . . different. God bless him.

9. First new papal name for ages.

10. He is Italian, ethnically.

11. Indeed.

12. Cardinal Bergoglio was supposedly a front runner when Cardinal Ratzinger was chosen so this shouldn’t entirely be surprising for the Catholics. Given his modesty and Latino origins one might be tempted to piece out a particular focus for where the Cardinals feel the church needs to move. May he serve his faithful with diligence and care.

13. Pope Francesco I is the first pope with I since Pope Lando Calrissian I.

14. That really was quick. You know, our own system of how a new prophet is chosen is nice enough. But I kind of appreciate the drama of how the Catholic church chooses their pope. And there’s something to be said for a vote by your peers.

15. Interesting that, to replace the first pope to retire due to age in seven or so centuries, they choose a new pope who already retired from his archbishop position due to age.

16. Surprisingly quick!

17. I’m hearing a ton about “it’s a little bit worrisome” about how old he is from faithful Catholic commentators. I guess my Mormon succession upbringing makes me says “76? That’s young!”

18. Apparently he was second last time around. Maybe the conclave is like the GOP.

Anyway, my first impression of the man is positive.

19. Well, they’re grand. And old. But not much of a party.

20. I’ll just be interested to see if he tours the new temple in Rome when it has its open house in a year or two.

21. Odds of that happening are extremely low.

22. But did he tour the temple in Buenos Aires? Either when it was first built or when it was redidedicated? I presume there was an effort to invite him.

23. No mention of him (but no mention of any other guests, other than the Argentine press) in the Church News article last August 25.

24. Regarding “own system of how a new prophet is chosen” (#15):

I imagine that our leaders’ system for choosing new general authorities (including Apostles, but obviously not the prophet) has a lot of similarities to the Catholic process we’ve seen this week, but much less publicly and without the same kind of ritual. A select group of senior leaders gathering with different ideas about who they may want to call, discussing amongst themselves, trying to build support for their favorite candidates, with everyone eventually coming to support the candidate that is gathering majority support.

25. It was my understanding that we’ve never departed from the most senior apostle becoming the next church president. If that’s true, then there really isn’t basis for assuming the process is anything like the Conclave.

26. observer fka eric s says:

Large LDS presence in Argentina during Francis’ life in Buenos Aires. Perhaps Il Papa will be closer in familiarity with the sanctus talis postremus diem. Although I lost my bet on who would become Papa, I would wager that Francis has at least met the missionaries and heard some form of “the discussions” at some point in his young life. Hard not to in Latin America.

27. Tracy, you’re right. I think CE is saying the process for choosing new apostles (for the Q12) is similar, though without the ritual or publicity. The next prophet is then based on seniority within the Q12, as you say.

28. Geoff - A says:

If our 14 met together and chose the successor on merit who would be the frontrunner? 8 of the 15 are already older than the retiring pope was, and most have health problems. Perhaps they will be inspired by how well the catholics did it?

Is there any reason, other than 150 years of tradition they should not?

29. *sign* yes, careless reading on my part. Apologies. Been that kind of day.

30. What if our prophet retired when his health and mind were failing? I think it could be a good thing for the church.

31. Geoff – A, you’ve got your facts wrong. Benedict XVI was born in 1927–Pres. Monson is three or four months younger than Benedict XVI. The only apostles older than Benedict are Elders Packer, Perry and Nelson.

32. MDearest says:

I guess I’m non-traditional, but very common nonetheless. Thank God. And may He bless our fellows.

33. I’m surprised he is the first Francis. I’ve always loved the animal/garden/nature imagery associated with St. Francis of Assisi.

My initial reaction is that this is a choice I can really get behind. Congratulations, Catholic friends.

34. Anonymous says:

Traditional_LDS, are you sure your handle isn’t properly spelled Trollditional_LDS?

35. God bless him, yes. A special day.

Question: I heard some commentary that, through the years, Cardinal Bergoglio felt the need to shore up the South American church from the loss of adherents to non-Catholic evangelists. Anybody else heard that? And what does that portend for Catholic-Mormon relations (if anything)?

36. Patricia Lahtinen says:
  37. Patricia Lahtinen says:

On a more serious note, our Bainbridge Island ward (Silverdale Stake, in Washington State) is a member of our Interfaith Council which, under my presidency two years ago, affiliated with United Religions Initiative. I was very happy to read this morning that Bergoglio, six years ago, hosted a URI meeting at the Buenos Aires Metropolitan Cathedral. As a firm believer in the value of interfaith dialogue, I see this as a very good thing.

38. @RJH the dude is definitely Italian – even if he’s not an Italian citizen. Yep, born in Argentina but of Italian ancestry. Sneaky way of making some people think he wasn’t Italian, but that’s the way they roll, I guess. Bergoglio is Italian just as certainly as the Pope is Catholic (and Italian this time around).

39. I noted that above, Savvy. Although it’s slightly unfair, I think. If you are born in the US of British parents and grow up and live in the US thereafter, are you British or American?

40. it's a series of tubes says:

Depends strongly on the frequency of dental visits and whether you favor mushy peas.

41. Lame.

42. it's a series of tubes says:

In fairness, you could view the flip side of the coin – depends strongly on whether you use an accent to charm the American ladies.

43. Yeah, just like buck-toothed Austin Powers. We’re all like that, don’t you know?

44. it's a series of tubes says:

RJH, you may be forgetting that I have lived in the UK for multiple extended periods – I jest good-heartedly. When I say “accent”, I think of something closer to, say, Ralph Fiennes. Incidentally, he was amazing as Richard II when I saw him at Gainsborough with that distinctive brick wall with a crack in it.

45. Fine, tubes, but it really is tiresome. Just say something about the food, and the cliche will be complete.

46. it's a series of tubes says:

I thought I already hit that note with the mushy peas. Isn’t the trifecta complete? :)

47. “What if our prophet retired when his health and mind were failing?”

Would God force revelations on him nonetheless?

I guess the “approved” LDS view is that the prophet can’t quit, he can only wait to be fired via the long dirt nap.

48. it's a series of tubes says:

“What if our prophet retired when his health and mind were failing?”

Functionally, isn’t this what happened when GBH was made 3rd counselor in 1981?