Getting It Right

YWMedallions

Note: Names have been changed to protect privacy.

When I entered the chapel on Sunday just at the start of Sacrament meeting, I noticed that all four members of the Young Women’s Presidency were seated on the stand. Seated next to them was the smiling face of a young woman who had just completed the last of her Personal Progress requirements and would therefore be receiving her Young Womanhood Recognition Medallion.   After the meeting started and the rest of the ward business had been taken care of by a counselor in the bishopric, our Bishop stood up and took a few moments to explain the long and difficult process of earning the medallion.

In addition to giving this stellar young woman the microphone to bear her own testimony and praising her accomplishments, the Bishop recognized the help of the Young Women leadership, the parents, and others who had assisted her along the way.  Then the Bishop made an another announcement: he motioned to two other people sitting on the stand–it is almost beyond me how I could have failed to notice them before: Emily–a young, wheelchair-bound woman with severe physical and mental disabilities–and her mother.

My Bishop explained that, some time ago, the young women in our ward had approached him and asked about the possibility of earning “another” medallion on behalf of someone who could not earn it herself–Emily. He then explained further that, with the help of Emily’s family, the young women in the ward all combined to accomplish each of the requirements twice: once for themselves, and once for Emily (I.e., two different projects, read the BoM twice, etc…).

As the Bishop congratulated Emily on receiving her Young Womanhood Recognition Medallion, and as Emily’s mother told the ward family that she and her husband had never dreamed that Emily would have such an opportunity, and as she spoke of the time, effort, and love willingly given by the young women to read and work and serve with, and on behalf of, her daughter, there was not a dry eye in the chapel.

Comments

1. And the non-dry eyes are now extending online. Thank you for sharing.

2. Wow. What a beautiful gesture. Thanks for posting, and extended thanks to those Young Women for their vicarious efforts.

3. This is just so, so beautiful. I love to read stories about really selfless kids. There are so many opportunities in their lives to just remain self-absorbed, and so when I read things like this, I’m incredibly touched.

I think we’ve finally found a good illustration of the “virtue” value for our young women. Thanks for sharing.

5. Mark Brown says:

Me encanta.

6. Yes Kevin, this is what I truly hope we are teaching under the heading of “Virtue!”

This is truly beautiful!

7. Beautiful.

8. Oh, my!

9. Hearts were touched. Tears were shed. Love was strengthened.

Thank you for sharing this.

There is a woman in our ward who is similar to Emily in the sense that she is welcomed lovingly into the Young Women’s activities, even though she is in her early 30’s. It is incredible to see how loved and accepted she is by the other young women – and by the rest of the ward. God bless them for blessing her – and, probably even more, God bless her for blessing them and us.

10. Dog lover says:

What an amazing Bishop, leaders and youth.

11. Wonderful.

12. Oh, made me cry. What an awesome story.

13. I hope sacrament meeting recognition of medallion earners becomes standard, disabled and not.

14. Virtue indeed. My beat up testimony needs examples like this to light the way. Thank you for sharing this with us.

15. This post is Zion in all her glory.

16. Sometimes we get it right. And when we do we are really an incredible community. Thanks for this story!

17. Beautiful, thanks for sharing this!

18. Dang it, who is cutting onions in here?

19. Sometimes the constant focus on areas needing improvement overshadow the more common greatness that occurs quietly day in and day out. Thanks for sharing this example

20. It’s a shame that great stories like these don’t really have anything to discuss. The best it gets is some form of “Thanks, this was beautiful.” And then everyone goes on their merry way to more controversial and less edifying posts to argue with people. Even the BoM passed over like 400 years of righteousness in one page because there wasn’t really anything to talk about. It was like the original comments section!

21. Bryan S. FTW

22. Thank you for sharing this. And thank you to the exemplary young women in your ward showing the world what true Christ-like love is all about. Tears.

23. beautiful!

24. Great stuff. Thanks for sharing.

25. Antonio Parr says:

Thank you.

26. Bryan S!!!

27. JennyP1969 says:

Thank you for sharing this inspiring example of how amazing YW are. They are so willing to be remarkable in character and example when I’ve served in YW I’ve always felt they were the example to me. I wish the media had more stories like these to brighten the hearts of the world. On INSP tv, there are ads from Values.com and Moments.org where brief vignettes are shown that are very uplifting and inspirational. Perhaps you might share with them.

Then, a personal note to those young women and their leaders…….You are everything our Savior taught, and I stand in awe of the values you’ve truly lived and exemplified. Don’t ever change. We need women like you! Words fail to express how much I admire what you’ve done. Hugs to you all, and a special one for “Emily.”

28. There’s not a dry eye when this was read in my house either! Thanks for sharing…

29. Wet eyes here, too. Thanks for sharing this.

30. Sharee Hughes says:

I could hardly read the comments for the tears that are still running down my cheeks. How wonderful it is to hear of young people who are so loving and unselfish. After the tragic events of recent days, such stories are very gratifying. Please let those young women know how blessed they are.and how their actions have blessed all of us. May we live by their example.

31. Herschel B Martin says:

I think we’d all agree that earning these awards is a unifying and strengthening thing for each individual and the group as a whole. I also think that what they did for and because of this wheelchair bound young lady is so much more powerful and meaningful. If she were able to earn that award herself, the impact would be much less. I have a brother in-law in a wheelchair. He has no mental disabilities, but can do very little on his own due to having the most severe form of brittle bone disease. He has broken hundreds of bones and been on the brink of death a few times since I’ve known him. Knowing people like this has a humbling, enlightening, and inspiring effect. We are blessed by them with so many service opportunities!

32. Nameless says:

What a great way to understand the temple ordinances as well. Thanks for sharing this.

33. What a wonderful example! Thanks for sharing this story!

34. Just got off fMh, so I was expecting a critical post about how these sorts of things shouldnt take place in sacrament meeting blah blah. Not expecting the tears. Thanks for sharing.

35. Raymond Takashi Swenson says:

The young women in your ward are truely blessed to have been given this opportunity to experience and express the pure love of Christ. Knowing they have done worthwhile, unselfish things like this, sacrificing for someone else, will be a shield for them against all the discouragement and disparagement that the world throws at young women these days. Having been able to do something for someone who could not do it for herself has taught them the nature of the Savior’s love and sacrifice for us.