It seems as though there are always rumors before every General Conference of big doings. Usually these rumors don’t pan out, or they turn out to be things that only meet the definition of “big” used by church bureaucrats (revising geographic area responsibilities and the like).
This conference finds the usual rumors floating around, but this time they are coming from multiple sources among senior church leaders. There is no indication of what specifically will be announced, only that it will be historic with a capital H and will constitute revelation.
As a service for conference watchers, I am posting below some suggestions–some real possibilities, some frivolous, some tongue firmly planted in cheek–of what the big news might be. I didn’t actually make up any of these; they derive from a couple of friends of mine:
– temple in Far West
– temple in Independence
– temple in Wyoming
– temple in Paris
– temple in Utah
– buildng the New Jerusalem
– women get priesthood
– being gay is OK
– no more Sunday School
– no more choristers (people follow organ anyway)
– dedication of Tabernacle
– conference session devoted to history
– endowment houses at stake centers
– sister missionaries at age 19
– gospel going to Muslims
– special missionaries to China
– first conference talk in Spanish
– coffee ok, so long as it is a decaf mocca
– Er, the church isn’t really true after all
So what speculations would you add to the mix?