Recently, I have noticed that while I blog about problems (they’re just so much more interesting), I rarely blog about the reasons I appreciate my Mormon faith. Yesterday, my ward had an open house for the community, and I had ample time to think of things our church does really, really well. Here is a partial list:
1. A church run by a lay clergy provides amazing opportunities for service.
2. I appreciate that as a Young Women I had the chance to have older women as mentors and friends.
3. I appreciate youth programs that enable young people to socialize in safe settings.
4. Yes, I like singles wards. My non-member friends are always amazed that I met my husband so easily.
5. This church does a great job raising the kind of men women want to marry.
6. We have so many common sense programs, doctrines, and ideas that help our families and the community: the Word of Wisdom, food storage, getting out of debt.
7. We raise children who don’t swear and who know they should treat others with respect.
8. We have coordinated Sunday School classes so that I can discuss with family in another state what I read for church.
9. Tithing gives me an opportunity to provide for others to an extent that I would not do on my own.
10. We tend to have parents that care about raising and educating their children well.
11. Our genealogy resources are becoming more and more impressive.
The list could continue, but I encourage all of you to add what you think the church does a great job at.