Give the Gift of MoFem

We’ve reviewed Mormon Feminism: Essential Writings, we’ve interviewed two of the editors, and now we’d like to give a copy away. Thanks to the generosity of the editors and Oxford University Press, we’ll be shipping a copy of Mormon Feminism to a lucky commenter. To enter, tell us who you’d give your copy to, and why. For example, I’d love to give a copy to my mother, to tell her that it has helped me begin to understand what she has been experiencing as a devout Mormon woman her entire life. And to tell her that I’m really thankful for her.

So, your turn — who would you give this book to, and why? The editors — Hanna Wheelwright, Rachel Hunt Steenblik and Joanna Brooks — will judge the entries.

Comments

1. Melissa Kennedy says:

I would love to give the book to my LDS book club friends with the hope that they would understand my views and not just look at me like some weird, outlying LDS feminist.

2. I can’t imagine that I will be the first, or last, to want to give this to my daughters, by having it on the bookshelf, next to the teachings of the prophets and apostles that are given out free by the church. I wish this was the YW manual and the RS handbook for the next 10 years!

3. If selected, I would send the book to the folks at MWS, because heaven knows they need to read it. Thank you for considering my entry.

4. I am getting this book for my wife this year as she has become keenly interested in Mormon feminism in the last 18 months. I was actually going to go buy it on Amazon this morning, but I got on a chain of distraction that led me to this BCC post where I may be able to get the book as a gift. Providence anyone?

5. Rebekah Crawford says:

I’d give a copy to my amazing feminist husband, Cory Crawford, for writing “The Struggle for Female Authority” in this summer’s Dialogue. He has been too busy paying for student fees and watching our 3 kids while I finish coursework for my PhD to get a copy for himself. Kudos to him for putting his money where his mouth is.

6. Melissa McCurdy says:

Just one?
    My bishop. Because even though he is a good man, he could benefit from this.
    My stake president. Because he is clueless and it would blow his mind.

7. My family. (And me!) because although I asked for it for Christmas three different people told me they would be too embarrassed to get it for me. Which I think proves how much we need it. I would love to have it in a prominent place in my home for friends and family to ask about.

8. Hillary K. says:

I would give this to the Laurels I taught in YW. When I was teaching them I always tried to bring women’s stories and talks into my lessons, and especially emphasized their heritage as Mormon women. I would love to pass down yet more knowledge and inspiration about Mormon women who are not included in church manuals but who are great role models because they have stood up for their beliefs and pushed for and worked for change to make women’s lives better. I would have loved to have this resource when I was in YW!

9. I would give a copy to my budding feminist wife, who will be giving birth to our first child next month (it’s a girl!). This book would help us instill feminism in the next generation and deepen our appreciation for the brave and inspiring Mormon feminists who came before us.

10. Clara Molina says:

I would give it to my mum, so she may better understand my struggles, where I am coming from and who the women and movements that have inspired me are. I would give it to my mum so she could understand many feminist mormons are still faithful women, even if I am not anymore. I would give it to my mum so she would see how what our leaders do affect us. I would give it to my mum so she sees how my “time off” from the church is not the result of mormon feminism but a personal choice. I would give it to my mum so she may see that mormon feminism is also on her side, even if at times I don’t really demonstrate myself. I would give it to my mum because I love her and it breaks my heart to think that she somewhat believes mormon feminism has made us grow apart a bit. I would give it to my mum so she could see without experiencing the anger I have felt at times because of the Church. I would give it to my mum so she would know that I am always gonna be on her side, that I do appreciate what she’s done for me and that I value and respect her choices: she raised me a feminist even if she was never aware. I would give it to my mum because not only is she my mother but also my sister.

As a BCC perma I’m abstaining from the contest; I just wanted to chime in and say what a fun idea this is! I’ve enjoyed reading the comments/entries; keep ’em coming.

12. Kelsey P-C says:

How great! I’d love to give a copy to my younger sister, a budding feminist — I know she’d devour it! She’s started reading more ProgMo material lately, and this would be perfect for her.

13. I would give it to my 83 year old grandma. She supported and defended me during my earliest exploration of Mormon feminism when much of my family didn’t. I don’t think she would identify as a Mormon feminist but she has a big heart, a feminist streak, and is my truest example of unconditional love. I think her love and impact in her community could be supplemented/expanded by the thoughts in this book.

And I just think she would like it.

14. My daughter – she’s been in all the YW presidencies and can’t understand why boys get treated with so much *more* than the girls. The daughter who taught the Samurai Code and swordfighting to all the YW in the ward, even over strenuous objections from the leaders (who afterwards decided it was the Greatest. Activity. Ever.). The daughter who told me at 13, “Dad, I think if you’re dating a guy, it’s important that he should understand you can break him like a twig if you have to.” The daughter who insisted that she get to go with the YM on a destruction service project at a home for unwed mothers, and who outworked any three of the boys just to prove that girls can break stuff too. The girl who knows that even if we don’t treat girls as equals, that’s no reason why girls can’t behave as equals.

15. I would give the copy to myself, because I don’t know another soul that I’m on Christmas gift terms with who would be even slightly interested.

16. I would give it to my fellow MoFem who can usea little more comraderie!

17. a_riverstone says:

I would give it to my son (granted he’s only 4 months old), but I want him to know these intelligent and powerful women. I don’t want him to think that feminism is just a “girl thing”.

18. I’d give it to my wife. (It’s actually already on my list for her.) She has raised two successful, self-sufficient daughters, one of whom published an interview with the editors of this book. She should have her own copy.

19. First time commenter says:

I want to give this book to my wife. She is kind, loving, Christlike and selfless. And she’s a feminist. I try my best to support and encourage, but sometimes it feels like I can’t compete with the voices of those who try to tell her that her feminism somehow makes her rebellious or less faithful. It would be a great gift for her to be able to read the words of faithful women who can remind her that she is not alone and not wrong.

20. Cynthia H. says:

I would jealously want to keep the copy for myself, but in the spirit of good will I would give it to my best friend. we have navigated the world of Mtmon feminism together, and has helped me be strong when I’ve felt weak. I hope she would say the same about me. I’d also be tempted to wrap it up and give it to our stake president for Christmas, but I know which of these two people would be more likely to read and cherish it. Best friend it is!

21. I would give the copy to my radical feminist daughter who has long since cut all ties to the church (er…The Church). She doesn’t believe that there is such a thing as a MoFem. And I would borrow it back from her and try to coerce my husband (her father) to read it. He thinks he’s a feminist but he just doesn’t get it.

22. I would give it to myself because if I gave it as a gift to anyone in my family I think they would question if I had ulterior motives. HOWEVER, I would leave it at my parents house (I’m in school out of state right now, ) where I know my strong and struggling sister would read it, her supportive husband might look into it, and my dad the bishop would give it a whirl. And maybe, with any luck, my mom might peak at it too, and find a form of feminism she would be comfortable embracing. #Christmasmiracles

23. I would give it to my sweet husband, who has always been supportive and loving towards my mo-fem-ness but doesn’t really understand the depths of it…

24. romanticmind says:

I would give it to my beloved friend Sarah, the intuitive and brave feminist who hasn’t read every last word about feminism but stands tall and true and gives me courage to do so as well.

25. I would keep it for myself because I really want to read it. But then I would give it to my very frugal mother because she might read it if she knows I got it free of charge. Shhh, we can’t let her know that she’s a feminist at heart.

26. I would give it to my daughter’s Activity Days leader, because if I have to feign enthusiasm for one more “craft night for 8-yr olds” I’m going to pop an aneurysm.

27. I would give it to my mom. She was a working mother in the late 1970s during the ERA craziness. She has told me how her RS president called her, in tears, expressing concern for the welfare of her baby beibg raised by daycare providers. Meanwhile, the her coworkers scoffed at those “ignorant housewives” who were fighting the ERA. She felt like she didn’t belong anywhere. I’d love her to read this book, especially the essays during the ERA fight, to see that she wasn’t alone.

I’m halfway through and it’s a fantastic read. Thanks!

28. I would give a copy to Hugh Jass. Because like this book, Hugh Jass is also full of crap.

29. Ami Curtis says:

I have three dear friends who have really been my iron rod these last few years. The constant internal battle that comes between fighting for our voice as women but still keeping a solid footing in the church can be difficult. I would love a copy we could share, and make notes in the margins to eachother as we pass it back and forth to one another. Our friendships and testimony is the most important thing we can share, it would be awesome to have a copy so we can strength both.

30. Nathaniel says:

I’d give my copy to Ralph Hancock. I know he’d read it.

31. Third Temple says:

Sometimes, when Sunday School or Priest Quorum feel like they’re going to be too much of a headache, I arrange to help my mom teach her CTR 6 class. And there’s one little girl in that class who is so bright, confident, and intelligent; whenever we ask a question her hand will shoot up like a mini Hermione Granger. She can rattle off almost any Book of Mormon story and understands the Holy Ghost better than most people twice her age. If she was a boy, everyone one would be teasing her parents about how their kid was going to grow up to be a General Authority–but she’s a girl, so no one says that. I would give her my copy, not to read now, but for later, for whenever someone tries to snuff out the light inside her or tell her she “can’t” (and I am so afraid that some misguided member is going to do precisely that). To help her know that she’s in good company and that our church has always needed smart, assertive women like her.

32. I would love to give it to my mother. She has been an incredible inspiration of feminist strength in the Church in our area and has helped LDS women who have felt injured, hurt or ignored to stand up and recognize their strength. She has spent her professional career helping women affected by violence and abuse and has taught all of her five children to fiercely honor the true value of women. She has struggled with being released from leadership callings and ostracism because of her desire to help women find an equal place at the table. This book would help her to see that she is not alone and is fighting for the right side.

33. Megan, you’re the winner! We’ll reach out to you soon to get shipping details. Congratulations!

34. Hooray for Megan! Hooray for this book! It’s only too bad that I’ll have to buy a copy myself to favor the MWS folks with. :)