Prayer for the Third Wednesday in Lent

O God of judgment, before whose bar we must all appear: open our hearts with the grace of your Spirit to hear the stories of the people around us, that in them we might come to see Jesus incarnate and learn at last to love him by loving them. Amen.

For music, R.E.M.’s “New Test Leper”:

Comments

1. Allan Garber says:

Please – I have had enough of the church calendar. Joseph Smith did not use it for a reason. Next we will be chanting the Catholic mass.

2. Allan, Is your comment an objection to the content of the prayers Jason offers? to their linguistic style? or only to the titles “Prayer for the … of Lent”? Did Joseph Smith ever articulate any reason for his apparent non-use of the traditional Christian liturgical calendar? (If not, what do you suppose the reason for that may be? I’ve seen some suppositions and find them mostly irrelevant to current circumstances.) Incidentally, the liturgical calendar is not merely Catholic.

As evidenced by discussion in my Gospel Doctrine class, many Church members don’t know what a liturgical calendar is and don’t realize they follow one (general and ward conferences and fast Sundays) that puts Church organization rather than events of Christ’s life at the center of their “worship” schedule. I’ve even had one bishop planning sacrament meetings forget entirely about Easter, one of the remnants of the traditional calendar retained (half-heartedly?) by our Church.

3. Joseph Smith did not use the church calendar for a reason? There were a number of reasons, but if you’re insinuating that it was due to the anti-Catholic sentiment that developed later in Mormonism (and that general authorities are now trying their best to repair), that’s a historically inaccurate argument.

Joseph Smith knew just one Catholic priest and they had a respectful working relationship.

And don’t forget that Mormons have sung the mass. St. George, Utah Territory, 1879. The St. George stake choir sings the mass in the St. George Tabernacle with 3000 people in attendance. It was done as a gesture of friendship toward the small Catholic community in the area, and is still remembered as one of the highlights of the early history of southern Utah.

4. Jason K. says:

Allan: I write these prayers (and the Mormon Lectionary Project more broadly) mainly as a personal devotional practice, which I share for others who might also find it meaningful as a way of preparing for Easter. I get that it doesn’t work for everyone, and that’s fine.

5. Jason,
    Thank you for all of these. These, along with the Lectionary Project, have done much to bolster my faith and help me keep Him at the forefront of my mind. Keep it up.

6. Jason K. says:

You’re welcome, David. I appreciate your kind words.

7. I’m glad this blog post exists because New Adventures in Hi-Fi is the second most underrated R.E.M album and it’s about time it got some real exposure.

8. Jason K. says:

There are a lot of great songs on that one. What’s their most underrated album, though?

9. That would definitely be Reveal.

10. Jason K. says:

I would have said Up, but yes.

11. Up is definitely underrated! But if I’m honest with myself I like Reveal and New Adventures a little more. But on the other hand Daysleeper is possibly my favorite R.E.M. song. So what I’m really trying to say is I miss Michael Stipe

12. Jason K. says: